“Great and friendly staff”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 22 June 2014

WE flew from Sydney to Vancouver arriving at 8 am and didn't even think about the fact that we may not be able to check in till 3pm (silly silly silly). We didn't even have to ask for early check, the staff took one look at our sorry selves and organised an early check in. Life savers !
Hotel in good walking distance to Stanley Park, rooms clean and comfy, restaurant attached had great atmosphere. Wished we stayed here longer :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Hello

Thank You for the fantastic review. I am very pleased the front desk were able to help get you room as a soon as possible after a long flight. I am glad you were to take advantage of Stanley Park and on site restaurants. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Sands

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I spent June 7-11 in room 210 which was located just far enough from the elevators to be quiet without being a long walk. Earlier reviews had stated that even numbered rooms had a good view and they were dead on. The the right side of the bay window revealed a magnificent look at English Bay. This was as good a view I've had from a hotel room.

Now for the room itself:

The room style air conditioner was adequate and not too noisy but still sub-optimal in 2014.

The bathroom was a little dated and very snug. Having the door agaist your knee while sitting on the toilet is a claustrophic nightmare.

There was no fan to ventilate the bath during a shower and you had to close the door most of the way just to get into the shower.
The toiletries were nice and generously included swabs.

The toilet paper was cheap and thin. Does anyone really opt for that combination on purpose?

I booked on Priceline for $100/ night and $125/ night after taxes. Considering how hideously expensive Vancouver is that price made up for a multitude of sins against my wallet.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room for a wonderful view. Tim Horton's is right across the street offe...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank a410traveler

Hello

Thank You for taking the time to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed your location and your room with a partial view of English Bay. I do apologize for any inconveniences you experienced at the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Wonderful hotel close to many attractions, walk to Stanley Park. One Block to the Hop-on-Hop-Off Trolley. Great restaurants walking distance from the hotel. Reasonable breakfast and great bar off the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello

I am glad you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. Our 5.99 breakfast is very popular with hotel guest and locals in the westend. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and had a room on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the street but had a small sea view. So close to Stanley Park and many eateries within walking distance. The hotel is a little dated, the walls are a bit thin so you could hear neighbors TV & shower but certainly it had everything we needed. Appreciated the free wifi. The shower didn't get very hot nor was the pressure great. Staff very helpful. A pleasant stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Hello

Thank You for taking time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the balcony room with a partial view from one of our balcony rooms. Unfortunately the hotel is an older property but we are continuously making efforts to upgrade the rooms. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

my family (my wife, a 2 and 4 year old) arrived in the evening after the London flight and found there was a mix up between Expedia and the hotel and our 3 night booking was not booked in until the following day - so no hotel that night. I had also rung the hotel a month before to reserve a larger room with a sofa bed and there was no record of this.

Without going over the whole experience in detail, the reason I would give 4 stars is that all the staff took individual ownership, were helpful and courteous over the issues when I presented them to the front desk. They booked me in a different hotel which to be honest was better (the plaza around the corner) that first night, They also dropped a lot of charges, gave discounts and gave us extras like free breakfast (which I'd recommend) to make up for the errors. The hotel is also well located for the beach, (though the choice of local evening restaurants for children is limited). We chose to come back 2 weeks later and stay another 4 nights and they were also very welcoming the second time around (though they did recognise me - oops!). The rooms are a good size though I recommend paying the extra and getting one of the rooms with a sofa bed if you have 2 children as it gives more space in the room.

The only consistent fault I had was communication between individual members of staff was absent. I found myself having to repeat conversations to each new staff member on duty when I was assured information would be passed between staff on more than one occasion.

The second stay was trouble free. I'd recommend it for young families.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a sofa bed, it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MDowning1973

Hello

I am very pleased that our staff were able to help make your stay positive. We try to empower our staff to make sure the guest is accommodated, unfortunately they had to work extra hard because of some clerical mistakes made in the reservation process which should not happen. I really appreciate you being so understanding with the manor. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and the location of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver if you travel across the pond again to visit our fine city.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

There are definite pluses and minuses about this hotel. The pluses-- superb location (especially for tourists new to Vancouver), half a block from English Bay and close to Stanley Park, in a lively neighborhood. It's a popular pick-up point for travelers going on cruises. The office staff is first-rate. The hotel is a bit old and tired, but the location and front staff more than make up for it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Robert M
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hello

Thank you for the review of the property. I am glad you found the location such a plus and our hotel staff were able to help make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to having you stay on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The staff is very friendly and helpful. We stayed 2 nights in 2 different rooms (we ended up arriving a day early) Both were very nice but I loved the room 524 with a king bed and a balcony with a gorgeous partial view of the bay. Had breakfast and dinner at the hotel restaurant and both were great. Both rooms were clean and updated and very nice. Free wifi which worked great, I had no issues with the internet service. We would definitely stay here again if we were to come back to Vancouver.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank jojoanddash

Hello

Thank You for taking the time to review our property. I am glad your stay was very enjoyable and were able to take advantage of our on site restaurant for both dinner and breakfast. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.