“Value for money”

Ranked #83 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
toronto
“Value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

PROS:
- Cheap: Our room was priced under $70/night on Travelocity
- Proximity to key locations: 20 minute drive to downtown. 20 minute drive to Surrey.
- Public Transit: 10 minute walk to Joyce SkyTrain station, to go downtown or Surrey
- Free Underground Parking
- Spacious Room

CONS:
- Elevator & Hallway Smelled of smoke
- Swipe card / key did not work on several occasions. During the 5 days we stayed there, we had to exchange our swipe card 4 times.
- TV Remote was not working, and did not get fixed
- Staff are unfriendly for most part
- Wireless internet is not free; but available @ an hourly / daily rate

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bidderpais
MarcomManager, MarCom at Cassandra Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2009
Thanks for the thumbs up. Yes, Cassandra Hotel guests can take the Sky train everywhere.... Vancouverites do all the time... from the Cassandra Hotel it takes me 10 minutes to get to Waterfront station (downtown Vancouver). Helpful tip: The room swipe cards need to be kept away from cell phones or laptops because this affects the magnetic strip. We verify every TV remote before a guest checks-in as part of our room inspection.... or quick call to friendly staff to change for another. We are continuously looking into ways to make our service better and we appreciate guests who take the time to comment.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2008

Stayed for 3 nights Sept 08. The hotel is based near china town, about 8 stops from downtown Vancouver on the skytrain, the station of which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. There is also a bus stop just next to the hotel.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was nice, but a bit stuffy due to the fact that the windows did not open. But once the AC kicked in it was okay.

The only problem with the room other than the windows, was that there were cigarette burns on the bedspread and cobwebs on the ceiling but all in all the room was nice. I cannot comment on the hotel amenities i.e. spa, laundrette etc as we did not use them.

I would recommend staying in this reasonably priced comfortable hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank ctfirefly
Thanks for the review. Front desk staff will advise where to catch the Sky train. And it's 8 quick stops (about 10 minutes) to Granville Street (Downtown Vancouver). We are continuously looking into ways to make our service better and we appreciate guests who take the time to comment on TripAdvisor.com
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

We found the hotel fabulous, lovely reception staff, clean room, great price, good facilties and only one 20 minute bus ride from down town. Definitely no complaints and it has earned it's stars what do people expect for spending under $100 if you want 5 star service go to a 5 star hotel otherwise this one is lovely.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ebbles
MarcomManager, MarCom at Cassandra Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2009
Your review is spot on and we truly appreciate your comments. Yes, Bus #19 will take 20 minutes, however, the Sky train (costs the same about $2.50 CAN and is an above ground train - with great views of city and mountains) ; is a walk away and guests can be in downtown Vancouver in 10 minutes. The Cassandra Hotel also has free and secure underground parking, if you choose to drive around the city.
western canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

Probably one of the worst experiences I have ever had! Our room was a nightmare, stains on the carpet and chairs, a broken tv, a horrible smell of bleach. When we decided that the hotel was not going to be okay for us, we tried to ask for a refund and were promptly told that "the hotel does not ever give refunds". When we asked to speak to a manager or someone that could make a decision, we were told that we would have to come in person on a business day (seeing as how we were visiting for the weekend only this was ridiculous). I am not certain what the parameters are to give a hotel a ranking of 3.5 stars, but I am certain that they did not deserve any of these stars.
I strongly advise staying elsewhere.

• Liked — the front lobby was nicely decorated
  • Disliked — the rooms, the staff, the filth
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dolceagonia
MarcomManager, MarCom at Cassandra Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2009
Would like to clarify that if this guest had experienced the problems noted in the review and came directly to speak to the front desk or management, we would have dealt with these issues immediately. (switched TV, free room upgrade, or transferred guest to another room) We always strive to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction and will not ask an out of town guest to come back for a refund. As a 3.5 star hotel, the Cassandra Hotel offers larger units with additional room furniture, coordinated furnishings, better quality mattresses and linens, equipped with clock/alarm, extra amenities in washrooms, etc. Three and half star properties like the Cassandra Hotel offer above average facilities and services, and are independently audited to national standards.

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

victoria, b.c.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip. The staff was helpful and friendly. I had a problem with my room's heater/aircon, but it got fixed fairly quickly. The room was a steal compared to other hotels that I was looking it. The Collingwood area was also nice too since there were a lot of ethnic restaurants that I got to eat at. Overall, good value for what you get.

• Liked — cheap price, good size room, good service
  • Disliked — air conditioner/heater issues
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thanks for the review. Yes, rooms at the Cassandra Hotel are much larger for the price than similar hotels found in downtown Vancouver. Our guests enjoy the ethnic diversity of the neighborhood, proximity to downtown Vancouver and Burnaby as well as shopping Metropolis At Metrotown.
Zhejiang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2007

We lived in a Suite which has two bedrooms to fit our family. We are landed immigrants here and living in Cassandra hotel for 14 days to find a new place to live in the future. The place is not as bad as someone describes. My kids enjoy the whirlpool and sauna service there, and that's for free. The frontdesk staff can speak our language, we are really appreciated because we can know more information about how to get our sin card and they help us a lot. Thanks. We are new here, but they let us feel better in a totally new place. The room is pretty large enough for our 4 people, my wife, my two daughters and me. But the only thing is that they don't have a kitchen.We were planning to live here monthly, coz they have monthly rent which is much cheaper than paying daily; but we need a kitchen. Friendly and multi-language staffs make our stay very happy. So if you like us,a family,we suggest you living there. It's very conveient to eat around this hotel, like the new restaurant which is just opened, and you can also eat in the other different restaurants,we almost tried all of them when living there. Bino family restaurant provides breakfast all day.

• Liked — Room is large and comfortable. Location is good, restaurant surrounding.
  • Disliked — No kitchen, so we cannot cook by ourselves.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank zhejiangyu
Was a pleasure to have your first impression of Canada at the Cassandra hotel! Yes, our friendly staff comes from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds. We speak your language. Additionally to clarify, the Cassandra Hotel does have rooms available with kitchenettes (studio or suites); and trying the local restaurants will be worthwhile too.
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2007

I was in Burnaby (Vancouver ) on business last week and all the local brand-name hotels were full due to the Under-20 World Cup Soccer event there, so I booked a room at Cassandra via the Internet.

The room was clean-ish and didn't smell of smoke, but there was a cigarette burn on the bedspread, the soap was about as big as a 50-cent piece and only slightly thicker, the sheets were thin and limp (polyester?), the pillows were hard, the towels were small. I had to go down to the front desk and sign for a TV remote - I guess people steal them or something. And as others have noted here, they charged $5 a day for internet wi-fi. The desk clerk had trouble setting up an ID for me so I didn't get to use internet the first day but they charged me for it anyway.

But the real rip-off came when I decided to check out a day early and go stay near the airport for the last night because a) I had a 7:00am flight the next day and b) I couldn't wait to get out of there. I notified them the night before that I would be leaving in the morning, and the clerk on duty said no problem. But the next morning the kid on the front desk charged me for the full 3 days. He said their cancellation policy required 48 hour notice and his manager would be angry if he gave me a "discount". But the manager was not there and the clerk refused to call him. I made the clerk print out a copy of the cancellation policy for me, and it turned out to be the standard "no show" policy where if you don't come at all and fail to notify them 48 hours in advance they can charge you for 1 night. It says nothing about leaving a day early after you have arrived. I am disputing the bill right now via American Express.
My advice is DON'T STAY AT CASSANDRA!.

• Liked — It was fairly close to my client's office
  • Disliked — General cheesiness, and the big rip-off when I checked out a day early
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank SoftwareGypsy
Yes it can be frustrating when plans change. The Cassandra Hotel guarantees a reservation when using a credit card online, so to avoid a penalty on one night’s room charge plus taxes, please notify your cancellations before 2pm the day before. The Cassandra hotel cancellation policy is in line with other hotels and common practice. Please notify the Front Desk before 2 pm the day before - and there will be no charge. We are continuously looking into ways to make our service better and we appreciate guests who take the time to comment on TripAdvisor.com