“Great location, reasonable price”
Review of Blue Horizon Hotel

Blue Horizon Hotel
Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Great location, reasonable price”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Bue Horizon in August 2011. It is ideally located, a short walk from the many restaurants on Robson Street and the cruise terminal and Stanley Park. I was worried about noise from the Irish bar and club next door but even though we were overlooking the Robson Street, the windows are less insulated to keep out the noise. The room was very large with plenty of space for a family of four. I think all of the rooms are corners with a small balcony and as we were there during the Festival of Light firework competition we were able to watch from the comfort of our room.

The only slight disappointment was the size of the 'spa'. A very small lap pool, sauna and a couple of exercise bikes was a bit basic. The children were able to cool off in the pool though so all was not lost.

1 Thank EKG_Brits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

It was a shame my experience at this hotel turned out poorly. My first few experiences were very nice and there was great potential for this to be a great part of my trip.
My room was very clean and had a nice view of Robson Street (a major shopping and restaurant area of the city) from both the view from two walls of windows and a balcony. The pool was a short lap pool (for two people at most), but there was a sauna and jacuzzi -- nice perks, even if the pool was a bit smallish. I was checked in by a friendly clerk who told me I could ask the front desk at any time for any concierge-type questions, they would be happy to help me out. I wish I could have found this same clerk later on as my experiences soured from that point on.
I had done a lot of my own research before visiting Vancouver, so the few questions I had were brief and to-the-point -- they could have been answered quickly. However, only two of the five days I stayed at the hotel could I get someone to help me. The first was from the clerk on the first day (as I previously mentioned) and the second was from a porter after a desk clerk decided it was more important to assist the tour group couple in line behind me. Luckily the porter saw my dropped-jaw reaction and offered to help me before I stormed off -- this wasn't the first time I had been ignored, but I was still shocked by such behaviour and I was tired of being treated in that manner.
Other than those two helpful hotel employees, the staff was very rude to me by either ignoring me outright or talking to me in a dismissive manner -- they were very short with their answer (I imagine in hopes I would just go away), negative, and not at all helpful nor even made any attempt to help me out/point me in the right direction so I could get an answer to my question. I didn't expect them to have all the answers, but I did expect a friendly attitude and to at least be pointed in the right direction.
Let me provide an example. While I didn't think the noise from outside the hotel could be heard at night, the noise from both the hallway and the adjacent rooms could be (significantly) -- I had to use earplugs to help me get to sleep. However, one night I awoke to a fire alarm and a lot of commotion in the hallway. As I got up and ready to evacuate the building, the alarm turned off. I wasn't sure if it was a false alarm or not, but I could still hear lots of people in the hallway trying to get down the steps. I went out onto the balcony and saw two fire trucks. The second truck was leaving. Another person was out on her balcony and asked me if it was a false alarm or if we should evacuate. I said I didn't know. I called down to the front desk to find out what should be done. No one answered. So, I started down the steps to evacuate -- I figured better safe than sorry. I made it most of the way down when a couple coming up the steps told me it was a false alarm and that there were throngs of people waiting for the elevator to get back up, so they had decided to take the stairs. I walked up several flights of stairs with them and they commented that they were not with a tour group and having a bad experience at the hotel as well and wanted to know what my experience was like. I told them it was souring. Once I got back to my room, I tried for another hour to contact the front desk (I couldn't get back to sleep with all the noise) and still no one would answer the phone. I had been able to put together that it was most likely a false alarm, but I was still a little shook up after having been awoken in that manner and wanted some confirmation. I tried the next morning to ask the front desk what had happened, but again, like what had happened to me so many times before, once it was my turn to be waited on in the queue, the front desk person decided the tour group people behind me were more important and completely ignored me (as if I wasn't even standing in the queue). If the couple I talked to in the stair way hadn't mentioned they had had the same experience, I might have been a bit paranoid and thought I was in an episode of the twilight zone or something! I found the way I was ignored to be that bizarre.
My best suggestion to the hotel management would be to get a dedicated concierge.
Maybe that will help alleviate some of the burden on the other desk staff and they could better do what they seem to want to really do -- check in and cater to tour groups.

Room Tip: Request a high floor for a better view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank rebircs
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 12 September 2011

On the positive side, this hotel has a great location, with good views and clean, quiet rooms. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. But for the money, I was expecting more. The room was pretty average overall -- nothing special, including the toiletries provided (not a big fan of a wall-mounted liquid soap thing that is supposed to double as shampoo).

But the reason I will never stay there again: absolutely no wi-fi anywhere in the hotel, and no mention of it on the hotel's website. Yes, there is a plug-in for high-speed. But I was travelling light with my iPad -- and like many smart device users -- unwilling to pay data roaming charges from my home country. So every time I wanted to check email or video call, it was off to the very public cafe at the corner to buy something in exchange for wireless internet access.

Room Tip: In the comments section of the booking reservation form I asked for the highest floor possible (with...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank tangochucks
Aschaffenburg, Germany
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had a wonderful room on the 28th floor with an amazing view of Vancouver's skyline and the harbour. The location is perfect for exploring the city on foot, and there are plenty of restaurants and shops right outside the hotel.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Definitely recommendable!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I reviewed this hotel a couple of years ago, and decided to stay here again this year, as it is in an ideal location. Last time, I was placed in a room on a lower floor, with no views, so this time I decided to pay a bit extra for a higher floor room with views. Well, I certainly got what I asked for! The 26th floor room had fantastic views over Vancouver and English Bay.

It was a nice large corner room, with two very comfortable queen beds. This time round, they have upgraded the TVs to large LCD flat screen with nice HD picture. Pity about the in-room internet. It is quite bad, slow performance, and they still use those old power line modems, which frequently require re-setting. The color choice for the carpet was unfortunate - brown and blue strips. Other than those minor issues, a very nice room - a bit expensive, but worth the extra cost for the convenience of such a good location with everything in downtown Vancouver a short walk away.

Breakfast at the hotel's restaurant is simply superb, inexpensive, and very nice staff.
I used the parking in the hotel, and it was $15 per day, and on the last day. dropped off my Avis rental car at 757 Hornby St , and it was an easy walk back to the hotel in Robson St.

One good feature that impressed me - there is a nice large electronic safe in the closet, it can fit laptops, cameras, and more.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get the higher floors - worth it for the views.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Nothing super fancy, but very reasonable rate and great central location. Nice little balcony. If you're just looking for a good place to stay at a reasonable price and don't need the extras of a fancy, high-end hotel, this will do the trick. Note: some of the free tourist buses stop here, which is handy, but since it's later in their route, consider just walking over to the convention center (15 mins) and getting the bus there, to avoid it already being full and passing you by at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The location is excellent. Interesting shops nearby and within walking distance of Stanley Park and the cruise terminal. We stayed there for three days, before our Holland America cruise to Alaska. The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were immaculate and the hotel restaurant has great food. There is a lap pool and hot tub in the Fitness Center, also immaculate. This is also the pickup point for many Vancouver attraction tours.

Room Tip: All rooms have an outside balcony.