“Great value, awesome location”
Review of Blue Horizon Hotel

Blue Horizon Hotel
Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked this hotel for my recent trip on the basis of all the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. I'm usually skeptical of a place (hotel/restaurant/etc.) that gets tons of positive reviews, but not in this case.

Excellent location: I didn't have a car, so 'walkability' was key for me. It's on Robson Street, which is the main downtown drag. Tons of shops, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, drugstore, etc. all up and down the street, right outside the hotel doors. I was able to walk to all the major sights that I wanted to see -- Gastown, Chinatown, Vancouver Art Museum, Coal Harbor, Stanley Park. The free shuttle to Capilano Suspension Bridge stopped right at the hotel. *HINT: I bought tickets for the Bridge online and printed it out ahead of time. If you wait to buy at the Bridge, you have to stand in line with all the people on the bus with you. Link: http://www.capbridge.com/. I took the earliest shuttle (910am) and it was pretty packed.

Huge rooms: I booked a room with a queen-size bed online ($103 per night) and was upgraded to a room with 2 queens for free when I checked in. It was a corner room on the 4th floor, facing the street, with a balcony. I was concerned about street noise, but I couldn't hear a peep. The room was huge, with a desk, Keurig coffeemaker, dresser, big closet with tons of space. Beds were comfy, with lots of pillows. The A/C fan is a wee bit loud (but not out of character for a hotel); but I prefer to have that "white noise" to help me sleep. There was, however, a note on the air vent that said there was no heat available, (?) even though there was a "heat" option on the wall unit. I didn't test it out, since it was warm/sunny during my stay, but for a place that gets pretty cold weather, that seemed odd. *NOTE: The bathroom was disproportionately tiny compared to the room. As a previous reviewer mentioned, you could sit on the toilet, lean on the counter and turn on the shower all at the same time. Not a dealbreaker, but just something worth mentioning.

Abode Restaurant: I had breakfast and dinner at the in-house restaurant. A wee bit pricey ($11 for the two egg/bacon/toast/potatoes breakfast), but good quality. Coffee, lattes, juice, etc. I got a $5 off voucher for dinner at check-in, which was nice. There are tons of restaurants nearby, but the convenience of eating in was a nice option.

Staff: Everyone -- front desk, restaurant staff -- were all very polite and helpful. They have maps of town, but you have to ask; they don't just hand them out and they're not sitting out on the counter. They also have free same-day luggage storage, which was helpful since my flight didn't leave until later in the day. Taxis are easy to find outside, and there's also a bus stop just outside the hotel doors.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. Two of the non-corner rooms (at least on my floor -- the 4th) were directly a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Lillehammer09
Write a ReviewReviews (2,688)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

All I can say is that this place which claimed to have wheelchair friendly rooms lied to my face. The bathroom is very small and half of it is taken up by the toilet. You can literally wash a hand in the sink, a foot in the tub, and go poo at the same time. Service was lack luster and the manager's apology for their misrepresentation and the stress of trying to find another hotel room was insincere. I say go to the Fairmont Hotel and spend the extra money. The service there is amazing!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tony B
BlueHorizonVancouver, Front Office Manager at Blue Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Tony B.

We have read your review with concern.

“Handicap (Wheelchair) Accessible” covers many different levels and components and we do recommend that guests contact the hotel prior to arrival with any special requests as we wish all of our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with us.

If you had included information that a wheelchair accessible room was needed when you made your reservation on-line, we would have contacted you prior to your arrival to clarify that while the hotel public areas are wheelchair accessible, and our guest rooms are large, our guest room bathrooms are small will not easily accommodate a wheelchair. We can provide assistive devices to those guests who require a raised toilet seat or a shower bench. A number of our bathtubs have grab bars, and some rooms are equipped hearing assistive emergency devices. When we know in advance we can specifically assign these rooms.

At check in, when we found that our bathroom did not suit your needs, we promptly made calls to help find a suitable alternative hotel for your stay.

We regret any inconvenience you experienced. We do hope that you enjoyed Vancouver and will return to our beautiful city again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was our fourth stay at the Blue Horizon Hotel and we are still impressed with the property and staff. The staff member who assisted us with our phone reservation was courteous and accurate. The front desk staff quickly got us checked in and during our 4 night stay the maid staff was prompt and efficient in preparing our room.
The hotel itself has had a facelift. The lobby and rooms have been refurbished. The bed linens and bathroom towels were thick and soft. The king size bed was extremely comfortable, there was adequate seating, the room was very clean, and all electrical appliances worked. On top of this being a really great hotel was the fact that the rates made this hotel a value and we like the location in the West End. Parking was only $16 a night (which is a steal compared to many large, downtown hotels in US cities). We'll be returning to the Blue Horizon.

Room Tip: All rooms are corner rooms. Coffee shop off of lobby was good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gdw993
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We loved our stay. The upgrade to a superior king on a high floor was a treat. Ours was a beautiful, comfortable and quiet room. We found the location just perfect for our travels in the city.The staff are terrific, helpful and friendly .
Bed great, pillows for me a poor choice - either too high or too mushy.
We loved that the cafe is right there ( coffee great) egg dishes perfect, service friendly yet needs professional input.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheribee101
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Ive been returning to the blue Horizon for ten years now. Its a great location on Robson street and within walking distance to just about anything downtown Van. The price is right for the location and cleanliness, and the friendly service has just kept bringing me back when Im looking for something on a budget. The layout seems to allow for a decent view from most balcony's, airy and fresh on the higher floors. The beds are comfortable and room is always very clean. Skip the hotel restaurant and walk down the street where you'll find just about any cuisine your heart desires! The parking is extra but this is to be expected in the dT core, also at the price of the room you can afford the parking. A great hotel with consistently good service, the updated rooms have a lovely contemporary feel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank turquoisePearl
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as it seemed good value - we stayed four nights them travelled to whistler loved it so much we came back a day early for another night - great location - clean comfortable rooms - friendly staff - at this price you cannot go wrong !!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank NJS_10
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I don't travel a lot, had a few days before a business conference and I wanted to stay downtown for the lowest price. Glad trip advisor mentioned the hotel website was often cheaper than the 'deal' websites and it was! For what I paid the room was best in class - the contemporary design of the room was a nice touch. The design of the lobby and the restaurant was a total anti-chain-hotel experience. I've never had so many meals and meetings in a 'hotel restaurant' because the coffee, area to read/relax and food was fantastic. Small pool and hot tub area, but at this price no other hotel has them. Small thing that I appreciated since I use social media for business I love that their Twitter account is active and real - it was like a digital front desk. They helped me set up my trip before I even flew into town! I shared the hotel site with other people coming into town for my conference and they thanked me for saving them from other three-star hotel chains. Great downtown location for restaurants and attractions, all walking distance. Can't speak highly enough of the service, the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a south view, worth upgrading to get to the higher rooms. The view in incredible.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo