“DIABOLICAL VENUE & LOCATION”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Patricia Hotel

Patricia Hotel
Ranked #71 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
San Francisco, California
“DIABOLICAL VENUE & LOCATION”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Accepting that it is a budget hotel there is no reasoning or acceptance for the poor location that is not described in any litreature given by the hotel or booking agents. The only concellation was the helpful and efficient reception staff.The hotel is at the least tired and dated and whilst cleaning staff are evident daily it is ovbious that a redecoration programme is required to ensure comfort at budget price.The area surrounding the hotel is an undesariable and somewhat disturbing district where homeless vulnerable people,drug addicts and prostituiton is clearly visable even from the recption area of the hotel. Drug addicts can be seen using syringes, homeless people begging and prostitutes actively touting for business - definately a hotel to avoid!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cookie194960713
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Cookie194960713,

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge the reception staff at the hotel for being helpful and efficient. We try very hard to positively impact traveler’s vacations by offering top-notch service at rock-bottom prices so it is always nice to hear when we are succeeding in that regard. We will take your recommendation for redecorating under advisement and will continue to restore and redecorate as the budget for such endeavours permits. Currently we place higher priority on improvements that we feel have more value to most guests -such as offering clean & comfortable accommodations, improving our wi-fi and providing free continental breakfast during the summer-but we are always looking for economical ways to improve our hotel, which ultimately does include renovations and decorating. However, the last thing we want to do is raise our rates simply to accommodate for esthetic improvements, so we have to be patient and take advantage of budget-friendly opportunities as they arise. Thank you again and we hope you enjoyed the city of Vancouver!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Came to Vancouver for a vacation and given that it was the Canada Day long weekend and we wanted to go to Canada Place for the celebration this was pretty much our only option within the area (unless we wanted to pay $300-500/night for a room). We reviewed the photos and information online, and decided it should be ok. When we arrived - it was a WHOLE different story. The elevator seemed ready to fail, and was stopping at least 3-6" below the floor; the halls were creaky and stank of stale oldness and smoke; you could hear people in their rooms on your room and above/below; the area is not a good one (sirens went by within 15min of being in the building) and there are working girls and drug addicts lining the streets; etc. The part that pushed me over the edge was when we opened our rooms' door, and discovered that the bathroom (stand-up shower and toilet) were inside of a closet with a single sliding door. We turned around and went back down and cancelled our remaining booking and went elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different area of Vancouver (especially suburbs) are better
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear H0nestH0telReview,

I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of pricing in Vancouver, especially on a holiday weekend! The difference between $300 per night offered elsewhere and our prices that at the time of your stay would have ranged between $50 - $110 is incredible! It looks like you selected one of our smaller rooms at the lower end of our price range. Had you opted for one of our larger rooms at the other end of the spectrum, you still would have saved tons of money to be used on other aspects of your getaway, but you also would have found yourself in a much more spacious room, with a full bathroom (including bathtub). It has been our experience that the smaller, cheaper rooms like the one you selected tend to appeal more to backpackers and those accustomed to hostels. We have found that our larger rooms are more appropriate for the non-backpacker. I noticed you mentioned that you heard sirens while being at the hotel. This is typical of the downtown core in general and not indicative of our location in particular so your tip of seeking hotels in the suburbs is spot on in that regard. As a rule of thumb, rooms become larger, cheaper and quieter as one moves further from the city centre. One of our strengths however is that we offer suburb pricing with a city location and service that is second to none regardless of price, star rating or location! Thank you for sharing your travel tips and we hope you enjoyed the Canada celebrations!

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed for one night when I attended a concert. It did the trick.

I stayed in a basic room, which was small but clean. Even though the hotel is non smoking now, there's still a lingering smell. Didn't encounter any bed bugs. The shower had plenty of pressure and never went cold. I wish it had air conditioning. The continental breakfast was decent and filled me up.

The hotel is in a notorious part of Vancouver. However, I walked the area late at night after the concert and didn't see many people or get bothered. A few hookers here and there but the hotel is removed from the main Red Light district. Actually daytime brings out the drug addicts and other interesting people but nothing to worry too much about. They generally keep to themselves.

Your close to Gas Town, Chinatown, and the port. Not even a ten minute walk and your into these interesting parts of Vancouver.

• Stayed July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

My friend and some coworkers stayed here after the 2010 Olympics, and she recommended it to us if we were heading downtown for a late night, looking for a cheap place to stay. Everyone complains about the neighbourhood, but it's really on the edge of the Downtown eastside, and nobody heckles you or bothers you. Just be sensible and don't go wandering around at 2AM and you will be fine. The hotel is great because of the AMAZING cheap price plus the PROXIMITY to the rest of downtown. It's only 5 mins to Burrard/Robson (via car). In December 2012, my boyfriend and I decided to stay a night here, as we were attending a late VSO concert, and a movie, both off of Burrard, and didn't want to drive back to the Lower Mainland so late. The front desk was polite and professional, and the room was clean and comfortable with a typical, but great bed. I loved the old bathroom. The sink and mirror were in the room, which was strange but fine. There were old hot water pipes exposed in the bedroom, which made it full of character but also hot to the touch! The only complaint I had was that the hotel room door was paper thin, and there were people across the hall fighting and coming and going until 3AM. We paid $45/night, and booked through Tripadvisor on Hotels.com, and everything worked out. You just can't beat that price for an amazing late night in downtown Vancouver when you're spending loads of money on other expenses!!! Yes the hotel is old, but it is clean, and if you are comfortable being in an area that is considered by many to be 'unsavory', then you will love it! :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back of the building, opposite East Hastings, which can get noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Srinagar, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

moral of the story never let any one else book a hotel for you.
worst area in the whole of Canada and it's right in the middle of it.
prostitution drugsband what not.
hotel rooms are smelly unclean snd and small. no service at all.
scary place.
Please save yourself and do not stay here .... EVER.

• Stayed December 2012
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Kingjkhan,

Although it is purely speculation on my part, I suspect whomever booked your room for you at the Patricia Hotel did so as a result of our unbeatable prices, proximity to many of the cities attractions and the many positive reviews that we have on sites like this one. As many of the reviews state, the various church groups and social services in our neighbourhood do cater to those in need, but those people never pose a threat or even an inconvenience to our guests.

I am sorry to hear that you found your room to be small. It is true, our Budget and Basic Rooms are reflective of the era in which the hotel was built (1913) and as such, they tend to appeal more to backpackers and those accustomed to budget travel. If history dictates anything, I am sure our reception staff would have been happy to assist you with a more spacious room had they been given the opportunity. However, judging by your comment about our lack of service, it seems as though there may have been an issue on the particular day of your visit that I am unaware of. As such, I kindly ask that you take a moment to contact us directly at the hotel. Staff at the Patricia Hotel have become particularly well known and continuously recognized for their excemplary service. As such, I kindly request your assistance in identifying the particular problem you had and with whom so that I may address it immediately. We are committed to providing service that is second to none so I would greatly appreciate your assistance in rectifying any shortcomings that we may have.

Thank you.
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

the hotel staff are very friendly and very patient and helpful. I an visiting scholar to SFU. Since it is my first trip to Canada, i have many questions to ask them including trafic, neighbourhood, the shopping center. They are always ready to answer and help. I only konw two

There is a man in frontdesk, whose name is Noor Din. I find lots of guests asked him the same question as mine,"Are you the boss?" . He is always busy, answering guests' question, guiding them on the map on the desk and helping with luggages...I think his sense of responsibilty and friendly attitude tells us this hotel is his business. My button fell off, and he gave his own needle to fix it .He let me feel a kind of "home away from home" although the neighbourhood is not so desiralbe since there are many homeless people there. But inside hotel, you feel safe. comfortale due to their excellent service.

Iam also very grateful to a young man called rysh ? or ? he has broad forehead, not tall but strong. I can't remeber clear since I got to know his name through My Noor Din. i could not drink the cold water and he gave me a kettle; He helped with letting go the noisy people who loud talk woke me up during the midnight. I don't think it is easy since it is individualism culture. Most important, I never say him showed any bit of impatience at all during my stay there. He looks very cheeful and happy, making guests feel a kind of sunshine at sight of him.

There is an senior but beautiful and very friendly lady I think she is work on housekeeping. she is a white woman. She is very nice. All the housekeepers are nice. They are indians.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

If you are on budget then you will be thankful for a place like this. After looking at hotel and hostel options, this was decidedly the best budget deal for my husband and I. This building is probably 100 years old and so you must take some of the 'deficiencies' as 'charm.' The location, as other reviewers may have mentioned, can seem a little sketchy. However, you are just a few blocks from Chinatown & Gastown by foot and Stanley Park is just a bus or bike ride away. Parking is $6/night on the lot next door (that's the price for 2 hours parking downtown). We stayed in the budget room which was very small and basic. We found the room to be sufficient and clean but probably not somewhere you would want to spend loads of time. Wifi did not seem to reach us on the 5th floor. The lobby however is spacious and a great place to hangout, read, get on your computer etc. I can't find fault with the service. People were exceedingly nice and professional. If its your first time in Vancouver and you are staying here, I would be sure to spend time exploring the waterfront and other spiffier sides of Vancouver otherwise your view of Vancouver might be a little lopsided. If you are on a budget and want to be downtown than this is the place to be!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple