“I've never felt less safe”
Review of Patricia Hotel

Patricia Hotel
Ranked #79 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 17 February 2014

When booking a hotel, I know now that "budget" should never be in the title. Though it is located near downtown we never felt safe walking to or from it. For the same rate I paid for my room I could have gotten closer to downtown and felt safe where I was sleeping. The window did not shut all the way, the room was cold, the heater made a screeching noise, overall would not recommend this location. The staff of the hotel were very friendly and helpful, though their advice not to leave belongings in my car in their lot ("not even a quarter") should have been a tip that this was a bad part of town. The reason I booked here was the price and free wifi, but we couldn't get a wifi connection the entirety of our stay. Take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelsey H
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Kelsey H,
I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be quite friendly and helpful as this is something that they are known for. I am sorry though that your overall impression of the hotel appears to be unfavourable. I will address each of your comments because I think it’s fair that we give your contribution the same attention as all of the previous comments, even though those seem to differ greatly from yours. I am sorry that you felt unsafe, but judging from the many previous comments on this site, your feelings are somewhat unique and quite unexpected. As the low end of our rates represent the best prices in the city (cheaper than hostels), I guarantee that you would not find a comparable rate elsewhere. Plus, you wouldn’t get the friendly staff and excellent service that we consistently offer! The noise you referred to from your heater was actually the release of steam from the room’s radiator, an original feature common amongst buildings of our era (early 1900’s). The advice that was given to you regarding leaving items in your vehicle was one that should be followed anywhere in the city. Our lot is monitored 24 hours, but this certainly is not the case everywhere, so we always try to remind tourists to be careful with their belongings when leaving their vehicles unattended in the city, especially in places considered to be ‘touristy’. Wi-Fi is provided free of charge and guaranteed to be available in common areas such as the lobby, library and book exchange as well as in the on-site pub. As such, although many guests are successful in connecting in their rooms, it is entirely possible that you could not connect in your room. However, our lobby is open to guests 24hours and there is plenty of comfortable seating to accommodate everyone. In any event, we hope that you enjoy your next trip to Vancouver regardless of where you stay, but guarantee you won’t find better value anywhere. Enjoy!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

For budget expense, PATRICIA HOTEL is the top choice, very clean, cordial staff (better than most 5 star hotels').

I was there during my trip to Vancouver between December 26 to December 30, 2013. It was a high season, nowhere to find a suitable hotel to put up with. Fortunately, I found Hotel Patricia, Mr. Noor and Manager Lindsay were excellent example for the best hotel team's. The services were excellent, the price was very cheap (just $60), room was very clean and quiet. More importantly, the hotel just walking distance from downtown Vancouver. In a word, Patricia, a budget hotel did give me even luxury hotel couldn't give hospitality!

Room Tip: No swimming pool and fitness center, if they had , would be excellent also. I could not deselect the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jianzhong M
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Noor is an excellent host; the other staff are also pleasant. The bed was very, very comfy, and the water pressure outstanding (shower). The building is old/heritage, but for its age, is excellently kept, clean, and appointed. Above all, this hotel offers tremendous value: I repeat, tremendous, considering how very close it is to downtown Vancouver, and there are three or four bus stops within a block serving most of the major bus routes in the city. Many of the local neighbourhood residents are the deprived and addicted, so you will see a lot of unfortunate circumstances in the immediate area. In the daytime, there are a lot of blue collar people going about their business and this blends with the panhandlers, addicted and homeless. At night, the people on the street are almost exclusively the latter. HOWEVER, it is extremely safe, and if you are off to see the trendy areas of Vancouver, the Patricia is ideally located, comfortable, and extremely affordable. Taking all these factors into account, this hotel deserves a rating of excellent. It is not 5 stars in the sense of equality with all other hotels, but deserves 5 stars for providing the best customer service and rooms you will EVER FIND at these rates within 3 to 5 minutes by bus to anywhere in downtown Vancouver. If you insist on impeccable amenities, pay that price and go somewhere else. If you give consideration for the age of the building, and are interested in being comfortable and well served, you will be pleasantly surprised in staying at the Patricia, and very, very happy when you look in your wallet days later. This makes this hotel unique and worth visiting.

Room Tip: You may benefit from being on the top floor as the floors in this older building might creak. Rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Patricia Hotel is a good place to stay in Vancouver. The price is fair and it is really near from everything you need to do/to visit in the city.

The place itself is comfortable and clean.

I am so thankful for the receptionist call Noor. He helped me and my friends to understand how the public transport works in the city, which places were better to visit and how to reach them.
He is a really good person!

Thanks Noor (lights of the mind)!

Namaste

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matheus Z
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Matheus Z,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, that you found us to be conveniently located and that the staff proved to be as helpful and courteous as we know them to be! We hope to see you next time!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Although a few public safety people at the Vancouver train station warned me not to walk to the Patricia, I was already tired, hungry and what's more, an American, so I wasn't deterred by these admonitions, even though it was midnight and I had a series of luggage items to transport. Worked out fine, and for a good price in an expensive city. Worst thing I saw during the .8 mile walk was a couple of little guys yelling at each other way across the street. Just mined my own buyhsiness and wasn't bothered. I even parked a rented car on a side street the next night without trouble. The hotel itself is dated and quaint, but adequate. The bar-restaurant adjacent was a little pricey and arrogant, but I wasn't there primarily for that anyway, just wanted to rest.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Quaker0ats

Dear QuakerOats,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we represent good value. We are also happy that your experiences with our neighbourhood were the same as our other guest's in that you had no issues to report. We find that sometimes people, even locals, can be put off by the sight of some disadvantaged individuals, but we find that they always prove to be in keeping with what Vancouver is known for: its friendly people! We're sorry and surprised to hear that you found our onsite pub & brewhouse to be a bit pricey. With meals that range between $8 - $11 (incl. tax) and a 20% discount for hotel guests we think that our prices are really quite good. In any event, we have addressed the individual you encountered and hopefully with the drop in the Canadian dollar against the American, our prices will be just THAT much better next time you're here!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel New Year's Eve. Although it smelled like stale cigarets I was able to look past that. Noor was amazing! My husband dropped his phone in the lobby and we didn't realize until check out time, Noor had found it and was waiting to return it to us :)
He told us great history about the surround area and made us feel so at home!
I just booked my out next stay for feb 10th!!
Xoxoxox
David/sherry Goodwin (the girl with the innocent face) :)

• Stayed: January 2014
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Ms. Goodwin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you had the opportunity to meet Noordin! We look forward to seeing you again in February and are sure that you will also enjoy meeting some of our other staff members during your stay. See you soon!

Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on and off while I was in and out of Canada, all rooms stunk of urine, a cleaning issue I believe. That was a gross. The rooms were cold also as the heating doesnt always work. I was able to look passed the homeless and felt quite safe there. The service and staff and price of this place are the gems.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear culturecure,

Thank you for your feedback. We would greatly appreciate it if you could contact the hotel at your earliest convenience so that we may look into the room(s) that you occupied while staying with us. The odour that you indicated is something that we have not heard of before so we would certainly like to investigate. Regarding the heating, manipulating the dial on the radiator in the room does not influence its function which may give the impression that it is not working. However, the heating is centrally controlled and run on a timer system so as to maintain a constant and comfortable temperature for all rooms. In any event, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff and that you feel that we offer rooms that are of good value for the price.