“Good budget hotel & great bar”
Review of Patricia Hotel

Patricia Hotel
Ranked #75 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Cheapest acceptable deal I could find in Vancouver. Friendly staff and the manager and manageress were very helpful with a particular problem I had. Room was small but ok for the price. The street it's on is famous for all the wrong reasons. The amount of homeless have to be seen to be believed but they keep to themselves and were not a concern to me but one has to be careful late at night of course. In the basement there is a massive bar. And it's great. Friendly bartenders. Live performances, good beer and food. I would recommend this hotel for budget travellers who want to stay within walking distance of downtown Vancouver.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jagamania

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here last January for our 5 day vacation to Vancouver. The staff was incredibly friendly and gave us directions and suggestions for places to go. The room was small, but clean and can not be beat for $36 a night. The pub downstairs gives a discount to hotel guests. Their staff is also great. Other residents were polite and noise was not a problem, aside from one night when the bar down the street held a metal concert. The location is not great, my girlfriend did not feel safe in the area but we had absolutely no problems.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J1234554321
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Yes, it is situated in THAT neighbourhood, but I never felt it dangerous. Canadian culture makes it safe, even homeless people are harmless, they do their businesses and nobody bothers you.
About the hotel: the attention to the costumer was excellent, they clean every day and they have a bar with cultural events and good food (first good restaurant after 5 months into the country), they do pay attention to the details they do mind about the combination of the ingredients, more than about the amount of them. And it's the cheapest place we found in Vancouver!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have lived in Van off-and-on for almost 30 years. I also drove taxi in Van for 8 years. So needless to say I know a little bit about the city.

Now whenever I come for a visit I stay at the Patricia. As far as I know (and I know quite a bit) it's the best deal in town. It's a 20-minute walk from downtown, the price is right, the rooms are clean and quiet, the lobby is cozy and inviting, and the service is friendly (a special hat tip to desk clerk Noor!).

Yes, this hotel is located in a seedy area with lots of druggies, prostitutes, and homeless people on the sidewalks. But here's a tip: Mind your business and they'll mind theirs. I know, I've walked the area many, many times over the years and never had a problem. (Of course I wouldn't advise wearing a Rolex or flashing wads of cash.)
And if you're approached (never aggressively) by a down-and-outer and asked for a dollar or a cigarette, why not give it to him or her. You'll feel better about yourself and, after all, look what you're saving on accommodation. You can afford to be charitable.

One small quibble: I'd like to see some single beds in some of the single rooms. The rooms tend to be small and a queen bed just takes up too much room for my taste.

Other than that, the Patricia is fine accommodation for budget-minded travelers to Vancouver.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mark G
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Patricia is not for your average traveler. It started life as a basic room with the washroom down the hall. When it was remodeled and they put the washroom en suite the size of the rooms suffered. They are interesingly cramped, you sometimes have to sit on the bed to use your laptop on the counter. The wifi however was adequate and the room, sheets and towels are clean. The hotel is located two blocks from China town on East Hastings. If the gritty underside of the city with its' unfortunate, but harmless habituates offend you do not stay here. No spa no exercise room nor any of those accoutrements the sterile corporate venues offer but a basic clean inexpensive place to sleep. BTW i was told by the cook that they use real cheese curds and home made gravy on their poutine in Pat's Bar, so check it out. Good music no cover on the weekends if you are staying.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank uhfred
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Uhfred,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share. You are correct in your assessment of the room sizes which were affected by the addition of private bathrooms, but we think space is a trade-off for a private bathroom that people are happy to make and this is more the case in our smaller, cheaper ‘Super Saver’ rooms. Our Standard, Standard Plus and Superior Rooms are still quite spacious and in some cases offer bathtubs as well as the standard shower. Thank you also for mentioning our onsite pub & brewery! Not only do we have our own brew on tap, but we also have 20 other taps featuring locally sourced, high quality microbrews! We always try to use quality products and home-made recipes to create fresh and delicious menu items for locals and guests alike. Add that to a 20% discount for hotel guests and free live music and we think we’ve got a home run! Thanks again and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Among other hotels, we chose this one because its price, and we were worried about this, specially because you read all those comments about being on E Hastings.

But it wasn't like that. I mean, Hastings is there, with ladies and stupeffacients and stuff, but we managed to walk through E Pender and everything was safe. That neighbor is nice. We walked through china town and there are some nice stores and places to drink a beer (which are not as expensive as downtown YVR) like London Pub and Brixton Cafe on Main St and E Georgia.

Patricia Inn also surprised us with a Brewery house right beneath the hotel. Kitchen quality is good and also every monday there's a Jazz Night. We love music and this was certainly something we didn't expect. That place has nice things during the week.

If you like walking, everything is walking distance. We made 20-25 minutes walk to downtown.

I think is perfect for couples (I've seen a lot of them during our stay) because is affordable and centric, just have in mind that there's nothing luxurious about the place.

Also, the desk clerk Van from Vietnam is a really nice guy! Make sure to have a word with him.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aldoremifasol
Reviewed 17 February 2014

When booking a hotel, I know now that "budget" should never be in the title. Though it is located near downtown we never felt safe walking to or from it. For the same rate I paid for my room I could have gotten closer to downtown and felt safe where I was sleeping. The window did not shut all the way, the room was cold, the heater made a screeching noise, overall would not recommend this location. The staff of the hotel were very friendly and helpful, though their advice not to leave belongings in my car in their lot ("not even a quarter") should have been a tip that this was a bad part of town. The reason I booked here was the price and free wifi, but we couldn't get a wifi connection the entirety of our stay. Take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelsey H
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Kelsey H,
I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be quite friendly and helpful as this is something that they are known for. I am sorry though that your overall impression of the hotel appears to be unfavourable. I will address each of your comments because I think it’s fair that we give your contribution the same attention as all of the previous comments, even though those seem to differ greatly from yours. I am sorry that you felt unsafe, but judging from the many previous comments on this site, your feelings are somewhat unique and quite unexpected. As the low end of our rates represent the best prices in the city (cheaper than hostels), I guarantee that you would not find a comparable rate elsewhere. Plus, you wouldn’t get the friendly staff and excellent service that we consistently offer! The noise you referred to from your heater was actually the release of steam from the room’s radiator, an original feature common amongst buildings of our era (early 1900’s). The advice that was given to you regarding leaving items in your vehicle was one that should be followed anywhere in the city. Our lot is monitored 24 hours, but this certainly is not the case everywhere, so we always try to remind tourists to be careful with their belongings when leaving their vehicles unattended in the city, especially in places considered to be ‘touristy’. Wi-Fi is provided free of charge and guaranteed to be available in common areas such as the lobby, library and book exchange as well as in the on-site pub. As such, although many guests are successful in connecting in their rooms, it is entirely possible that you could not connect in your room. However, our lobby is open to guests 24hours and there is plenty of comfortable seating to accommodate everyone. In any event, we hope that you enjoy your next trip to Vancouver regardless of where you stay, but guarantee you won’t find better value anywhere. Enjoy!