“Give this a miss”

Ranked #75 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Australia
“Give this a miss”
Reviewed 24 September 2006

This hotel is in the worst location in downtown Vancouver. It is the wrong side of Main Street with drugs and homeless people a plenty. The hotel is satisfactory but it is old. The rooms are very small with " bathroom" in one corner.

The only good thing about this hotel is price. I will not stay there again.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flem3547

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 September 2006

I am a photojournalist who averages 10 to 15 visits yearly to BC to cover sporting events and shoot with BC-based athletes. Because of this, I have a long list of accommodations available to me throughout the province. But this Labour Day weekend, my plans changed suddenly, and I was forced to find a hotel in Vancouver for Saturday night with virtually no notice. None of my usual spots had rooms available. So I started researching possibilities. My usual accommodations, even though they're in lovely neighbourhoods like Kits, and have hot tubs, great breakfasts and safe, comfortable, clean rooms, usually run me $60-$80 nightly. So when other B&Bs and hotels in the core area were quoting $150+ nightly, I started expanding my scope. I checked out the TripAdvisor reviews for the Patricia, and was concerned that many were negative.

But the provincial tourism agency told me that there were "some" homeless people in the area, and while I wouldn't want to hang out in that part of town, that I should be fine.

That was the worst travel advice I have ever received. When I drove from Lion's Gate into Gastown, I expected to find the hotel soon, as it was advertised to be "steps" from Gastown. Not only was it not near Gastown, it was significantly east of Chinatown - in the one area of Vancouver that concerns me, an urban-dwelling journalist who has ventured with minimal worries, late at night, through tough areas of NYC, London, LA and Bangkok. Driving through the area where the Patricia is located requires constant attention to avoid running over crackheads and tweakers who stumble unexpectedly across the street. Regrettably, I did not recognize the neighbourhood from the address. When I pulled into the lot next door to the hotel, I prayed that they had another parking facility, as the parking had been advertised as "secure" with video cameras. Unfortunately, that was not the case. In reality, it was an open lot with sketchy individuals everywhere. As best as I can tell, the only benefit of the cameras would be for the police to review crimes that had already been committed.

There is a huge difference between "homeless" individuals who may or may not be dangerous versus crack and meth addicts who are universally known as likely candidates to be thieves stealing to feed their habits.

Furthermore, when I mentioned my concern about the parking and about the spotty locks on the rooms, the front desk clerk huffed at me that "no one would break into my room." Well, given that he was in the back of the front desk area, out of sight of anyone entering the lobby or going up the elevator, I was not so confident. And I really didn't want to mention that I was concerned because I had $10K of very-portable camera gear with me.

Beyond that, my "non-smoking" room reeked of smoke. Though, in fairness, it seemed clean if a bit ratty.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Wretched neighbourhood
  • Tips/Secrets — A hostel with bunk beds is a better choice
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
9 Thank bikegrrl62

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 August 2006

The price was okay...under $100/night but for the same price we could of stayed somewhere more centrally located. I don't recommend staying here if you're a single woman traveling alone. The rooms were clean but the neighborhood is not safe at night. There were drug addicts, prostitutes and drunks wandering around. It's close to Chinatown (which is nothing spectacular) but a bit of a walk to everywhere else. Luckily we had rented a car (parking available onsite). We passed the gastown hostel and regretted not staying there instead.

• Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — Do your research before you book
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
7 Thank Ericka98125
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 11 August 2006

the rooms were okay, and the hotel was nice and clean, but the neighborhood is one of the worst i've seen, and i've been all over seattle, southern california and new york city. People shooting up on the streets, public urination in broad daylight, a horrible neighborhood that no tourist should stay in. My car was broken into on the one and only night I was there, nothing was stolen and the damage was minor but it was still frustruating. If you stay here make sure you have an alarm system on your car or park somewhere more secure, the lot has cameras/patrols but that didn't help me. Only stay here if you can't afford anywhere else and you aren't using your own transportation, i'd advise taking taxi's to downtown proper, especially at night

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — safety
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank generalgeneral
San Jose
Reviewed 1 August 2006

I had read all the reviews so I was well prepared. I didnt have much expectations to begin with so I was quite happy to see clean room and sheets :) BUT EVERYTHING THAT IS BEING SAID ABOUT NEIGHBORHOOD IS TRUE. The people at the front desk were all nice and helpfull. But here is what really killed me. I was there for 2 nights. On the second day I got a call early in the morning from Vancouver PD. I ran downstairs and found that someone had broken into my car. Since I already knew it was a shady neighborhood, I had taken the precaution of keeping it virtually empty. So nothing was gone but I had a broken glass. The officer said its a very common occurence on that street and in that parking lot. Apparently Canada does not have a similar law that we have here in US, where you get locked up for a certain period of time if you are caught thrice. Here is what really ticked me off. I made sure that I had parked RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA. But that didnt help!
I had to spend close to $400 to get the car fixed. I have no complaints about the actual hotel, but better be willing to take chances with your car!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank mrane1
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2006

After reading the reviews, I expected what I saw...which was beggars, homeless people and maybe some prostitutes. But, for $45-49.00 a night in Vancouver, I was Happy. Let me start by saying "I am a frequent traveler". I love paying less for more. Armed with the information from trip advisor, I was ready for the neighborhood.

The rooms are dorm or nunnary sized. But it was cleaned everyday, Parking is available for pennies or nothing at all. I can't even remember the price. public transportation was directly infront of the hotel. They also had tour companies picking up at the hotel. --With the money I saved istaying at this hotel (June 30-July 3), I shopped at Guess, BeBe's, Armani exchange, etc, and ate at some really great restaurants. For me, I broke even. If I had stayed at the Hyatt, Marriot, etc--McDonald's would have seen me for every meal.

Plus, the hotel sells all day bus tickets for $8. The normal day fare is $2 or 2.50. It has Cable TV but no remote....o.k. Friendly Staff. I saw couples at the hotel, but no children. I never felt danger while I was there. But, I am happy I left the kids at home. Besides, Vancouver is beautiful, but expensive.

I plan on returning to Vancouver and will stay at this hotel again. ...If I can get the Holiday Inn or another hotel for $100 or less, well I will stay there. Otherwise, " Patricia Here I come"!

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 July 2006

I must admit that the location of the Budget Patricia is not the best but I found the hotel to be more then what I expected from a 'budget' hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff were very helpful.

As for it's location, yes it is full of the homeless, drug addicts and prostitutes but in the 5 days I was there I was never accosted by anyone. I even walked into the city and back again via Gastown and felt fairly safe albeit with a friend. When I was accosted by beggars, which only happened in Gastown, I never gave them anything but instead of the verbal abuse I've received in other large cities, I was told instead to have a nice day, or enjoy your stay (obviously a politer beggar/drug user/drunk inhabits Vancouver!).

For those who complain, yes the Patricia should be a bit more upfront about it's location but remember it is a Budget hotel and what were you expecting - A harbour view at Canada Place for $80?! Get Real!!

• Stayed July 2006