“Perfect location in Vancouver, great service!”
Review of The Burrard

The Burrard
Ranked #34 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Beijing, China
“Perfect location in Vancouver, great service!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

This former motor inn has been given a funky, witty remodel - making it a hip place to stay in downtown Vancouver. Close to bars, shopping and tourist sites - as well as the bus up to Whistler! Front desk team were also extremely helpful with great suggestions for getting places and things to see.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel to be away from the street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Burrard at the end of January and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.The service was great -- we came in on a rainy afternoon (I think all afternoons in January are rainy there) and once we got our bags settled, we were ready to hit the street but had no umbrellas. Fortunately, the Burrard had a bucketful of them just waiting to be used! YAY!

Our room was very clean and comfortable; it was small, but didn't feel cramped. The bathroom was spotless. My only complaint about the bathroom -- there wasn't any good place to keep your toothbrush and other necessaries. My favorite feature of the room -- the ionizer! Not only did it do it's ionizing thing, it also created white noise that very effectively drowned out the street noise (our room was right on the street), making for a great night's sleep. And speaking of sleep... the bed was a comfortable queen, but the highlight of our sleep time was the really great blankets! They looked like army blankets and were twin sized, but they were soft and lightweight and cotton. Awesome!! We wanted to take them home.

The Burrard's location is good -- easy walking to most downtown attractions, dining and shopping. Free wifi in the room is a BIG plus! I didn't take advantage of the free in-room espresso, but my husband did and was very pleased. They also provide bottled water and encourage guests to refill from the water cooler in the lobby. The weather was wet the whole time we were there so we didn't take advantage of their free bikes or get to enjoy the interior garden/patio area, but I imagine that these amenities are wonderful in the summer.

Some reviewers have complained about the Burrard's mid-century aesthetic, but we found the decor to be modern without being cold and without the kitsch factor. I'd say they did a great job on their recent renovation, creating an attractive and fun atmosphere without going overboard.

I'd definitely recommend the Burrard to anyone looking for an affordable and convenient hotel in downtown Vancouver. Thanks, Burrard, for a great stay!! If we get back to Vancouver, I expect we'll be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tulajane
Quesnel
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I have to say that The Burrard is a breath of fresh air. Although I don't travel for business I can appreciate that this would be perfect for short term stays whether business or pleasure. The rooms are spotless. As most people now travel with a laptop and or a smartphone you are well supported with free WiFi, cordless phone with free calling in North America, Shaw cable connected to 42" TV. Add a room safe that is plenty large for anything you might need to put in it.Oh I can't forget the Nespresso machine! Brilliant! How about a small fridge with paper cups,lids and sleeves, real cream, sugar, stir sticks, bottled water. I saw an ironing board and iron. Bathroom had a hair dryer and all the amenities needed. The inner courtyard was very calming and we need these things in todays world. But all this is nothing if you don't have the human touch to pull it altogether. This is where they shine. Service! I was on a stressful trip with my elderly mother for a visit to St. Pauls. Their highly personal service eased my mind.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian F
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This small hotel gives you everything you need. Staff are friendly and efficient, good parking, very reasonable rates and clean, comfortable rooms. There is a small coffee shop attached to the hotel, and since it is in downtown Vancouver there is no end to dining or night life within easy walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happypeasant
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I decided to come here given the great reviews and the price, as I was planning to save the best for my week in Whistler.

The hotel was as I expected, but in many positive ways surprising. My room looked just like the pictures, and was quite decent sized (Queen +). Spotless clean and very comfortable bed. And a more attentive look into the furniture and bathroom fixtures showed that they invested in real good quality products, which is much more than I can say of hip "minimalist" hotels. I especially liked the bathroom, which was small, but quite functional (at last a real towel rack), had a strong and quickly warm shower, and really good bathroom products. Did I mention the Nespresso coffee maker and 2 bottles of water that you can refill? and a very convenient Blenz Coffee downstairs?

Location can't be better: walking distance to the little boat that takes you to Granville Island, walkable to anywhere downtown, ample public transport nearby and next door to the Whistler Bus stop.

One thing I really liked is that it's up to you to turn on and choose the temperature of both the a/c and heater. In the cold Vancouver nights, I had everything off and slept greatly with just the comforter. And since sleep quality has to be the main feature of a hotel, here is their weak spot. Though I slept well, and I was there on a weekend, it was clear that they have a soundproofing issue. My room was sort of in the corner of the 2 main streets (Burrard and Helmcken), and you could hear all traffic noise and people well into the wee hours. I would usually recommend the other sides of the courtyard, but I noticed that there is a construction site exactly beside the hotel.

If your idea of a good hotel must include bell boys, cooked breakfasts and bathrobes, than there are quite a few other good options in Vancouver. If you are looking for a comfortable base from which to explore the city, with a very comfortable room and great value for money, than you've found your spot. I would certainly come back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back should be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I booked a queen room for myself while attending a conference. I paid about $90 which is excellent price for downtown. I looked out onto palm trees! How cool is that?? The bathrooms were spotless and even had chap stick! The bed was super comfy and there was a cool looking coffee machine (didn't use as I don't drink coffee but the water was great). The room was nice and quiet and I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business