“Horrid elevator”
Review of Moda Hotel

Moda Hotel
Ranked #59 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Possibly the worst elevator i've ever encountered... really slow... twice, I just had to give up waiting and take the stairs instead. I understand the appeal of retaining the heritage architecture and whatnot but it's just ridiculous to keep a near-useless elevator.... Also, their WiFi wasn't working once I arrived, so had to wait for them to reset their router before it started working. (took about an hour)

That said, the price is good - was under $300 for two nights. I had the Junior Room. The room itself is very tiny of course, but suited me well enough... it was clean, with a view of Seymour Street from 4th floor. the shower has a strange ceiling-fixed showerhead that I haven't seen before. Also the street noise is quite audible at night, even with the window fully closed. That was annoying. An average hotel at best !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nettap101

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Moda Hotel in downtown Vancouver has an excellent location! It's absolutely close to everything, and has great access by public transport (the Canada Line Train) from the airport.
The rooms are very decently sized with plenty of space between luggage storage, the closet, a writing desk and the bathroom. The floors are a bit squeaky under the carpet and you can hear people walking in rooms around you when your heat-A/C is not working and you're quietly reading in your room. However it is not too loud to cause an issue in my opinion. Some additional attention to dusting and more detailed cleaning is needed and the carpets are on the verge of being worn.
The only concerns were in the bathroom, the top of the toilet water tank was not dusted or cleaned for several days prior to my stay, and not done during my stay (4 nights). The tissue box was cleaned and re-freshed yet cleaning of the surface of the tank is stood on was not considered. Yet the rest of the bathroom look well cleaned.
***Also for people over 5'6" start practicing creative ways to fit under the shower head that is at a height of 5'10" with the nozzle much lower. Might consider yoga or limbo classes for a few weeks before your planned stay here. This was very inconvenient.
---Not a problem but here is a hint to those who want to charge devices overnight. Do not turn off the lights with the main switch in the room, this turns off the power at the writing desk and you'll have a dead cell phone the next morning. Use the on off switch at the lamp.
Overall a good stay, staff were pleasant and helpful, no issues checking in or out.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris0Travels
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel, the location is great if you're hanging out in downtown Vancouver sight seeing for a weekend. I went with a friend and we both really appreciated the stellar location right near loads of fabulous restaurants and entertainment options. The sports bar in the hotel serves up a great thincrust pizza at a reasonable price as well if you're looking for some eats in your room. The hotel itself is quite old but nicely renovated. Single and very slow elevator so be warned of that if you're the type that needs an elevator, we just used the stairs as it's a good workout anyway!

Our room had three opening windows over Seymour street and we enjoyed some downtime having drinks and watching the action in the streets. Being from a smaller centre the action in downtown Vancouver was quite amusing for us. I love Van, and would definitely return to this hotel. The service was great, the rooms are comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. My only complaint would be poor water pressure and sub par shower heads in the bathroom, other than that the stay was perfect and the water pressure didn't bother either of us enough to complain about it.

We parked at the Seymour Street Parkade for the apartment building next door and our car was broken into... so if you are a clueless small towner like me, don't leave ANYTHING in your car. All that for an ugly pair of fake Oakleys! Not the hotel's fault at all, just a fair warning for others like us that aren't used to that sort of thing happening.

Room Tip: It's downtown, bring ear plugs. Unless you choose a hotel that's very tall and end up highe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Not a bad place but some issues that made it just an average stay for me. When I booked, I requested 2 beds, arrived and was told we were booked into a single queen. Not a good start. We were able to get a cot into the room, but it wasn't very comfortable. the next day we were switched to a double room. Despite the error, the staff was good, and did their best to make our stay comfortable.

Pros:

-The hotel is in a good location, very close to the entertainment and shopping district downtown.
-The rooms are clean and well furnished
-Staff was good
-resonable price

Cons:
-Booking mix up on the first day
-Very basic, not many ammenities
-Building had an old musty odor too it. Not overpowering, but noticable if you're not used to it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BrWayne
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The Moda hotel is in a great location and has great decor. The staff are really friendly and were very accommodating to us and our large amounts of luggage (having just finished a ski season). The rooms are clean and tidy and although being located on a busy street we weren't bothered by the noise at night. The only downside is the rooms are really small and look much bigger on the internet. But that's really the only downside.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel itself is very old which is what makes it unique. The building has character and I enjoyed staying here for 2 nights. The room is quite basic but it met all of my needs. The location is GREAT. I wore earplugs at night as I knew that the noise from the street would be quite loud at night. The hotel is one block away from Granville Street so noise late at night is to be expected.

The beds were quite firm as other travelers have mentioned. The shower in our room (2 doubles) was hot all the time but the shower head is located really low down on the wall (old plumbing). This was ok for me as I am average height. A taller person would struggle with this and should request a room with a rain shower head.

We had a great breakfast one morning at Cibo which is located at the base of the hotel. High quality food and service.

My only complaint is that there were some areas in the hotel room that need a deep clean. Specifically the bathroom where you could see that the walls hadn't been wiped down and the heating grill had quite a bit of dust on it. More attention should be paid to these areas. The Keurig coffee maker is a nice touch in the morning.

I would stay here again. The price point is excellent (I paid $99/night for a room with 2 doubles).

Room Tip: If you come across a great rate for this hotel (Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, etc.) call the hotel a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

The Moda surpassed our expectations. We were looking for budget price since we were arriving at midnight. We used hotwire and the Moda came up.

Staff were great; all very helpful! No problem with such a late check in, room was small but clean. (fine for a couple)

The parking is just across the street and only $14 and it was good till 6pm! Can't beat that since others are $30-50. The parking was secure and hotel had secure storage at front desk so we didnt leave our bags in the vehicle. The location is fantastic and easy walk to most everything.

The room was clean, we slept well, the bed is very firm. Wifi worked well. Shower took a while to get hot but was relaxing once it did with the rain showerhead.

There is a wine bar, sports bar and restaurant in the bldg. We came in too late to try them.

We will definitely consider staying here again if we come into town for a concert. Great hotel for a night in the city.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple