“Internet Rip-off”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Internet Rip-off”
Reviewed 10 March 2011

I found the Hyatt reception and service people friendly and efficient. The location was great, and the rooms seem recently updated. My main concern, and my reason for not returning to Hyatt in the future, is the outrageous charge for internet usage, at $15.95 per device per day, if two people have smartphones they want to use, and/or two computers, that amounts to an extra $60+ per day!! Needless to say, not pleased at all.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Dear cicbicicletta,

I appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel and our wonderful associates. I will be sharing your review with them. Your comment regarding the charge for Internet use per device has been raised a couple of times recently as people now travel with numerous gadgets requiring connectivity. We have asked our Internet provider to develop a system to allow an additional unit access without processing the additional charge. While they work on an automated solution, we are manually removing the charge for a second device from the guest’s bill at checkout.

Thank you for you feedback and I am glad we have addressed this issue for you and all our future guests.

All the best,

Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We were very pleased with this hotel right in the middle of downtown vancouver, close to everything. Rooms have received a tasteful update, beds are very comfortable, staff were pleasant. When in Vancouver again, I will likely return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear g4480,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of the visit and we will look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Vancouver.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Checked in today for the weekend. Yes, the location is good, but location isn't everything. Customer service is part of the experience. And when they treat Priceliners as second-class guests, I don't have to like it. Just because PL would let them put me in ANY room doesn't mean they should. According to them, they can charge me $25/ night more for the privilege of switching to a one king bed, because, again according to them, all STANDARD rooms with king beds are sold out. I guess they've never heard of a comp upgrade to keep a customer happy. Also, when a hotel charges you $14.95 + tax for one day of internet access, you know they are there to rip you off. Oh well, live and learn. I have just been upgraded by a nearby Sheraton the other day for no other reason than to keep me extra happy. I guess now I know which chain my loyalty should be with. The double beds cannot be described as spacious by any stretch.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Nuni72
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear Nuni72,

I appreciate the feedback regarding your check in experience. Priceline provides a wonderful service and offers unbelievable prices but with caveats. Because their system does not allow the consumer the ability to request a particular bed configuration or provide other details at the time of booking, it is not possible for the hotel Priceline assigns to prepare for the guest’s preferences prior to arrival. We recommend that should Priceline place you at our hotel, to contact us directly with the room type preference so we can add that information to your reservation and proactively plan for your arrival. This will help to ensure a most comfortable stay.

I hope we have the opportunity to see you again through Priceline or other means and do not hesitate to contact me at steve.mcnally@hyatt.com if I can provide any assistance.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Location is the most convenient. Right in the centre of everything. Stroll down to the convention centre. Do not take taxi. Very friendly staff. The best I have ever came across. Shopping is close by and the City itself is super clean and beautiful. 4 DAYS was too short. Have to come back with family.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
Dear Valenor,

I’m happy to hear you had a great experience at our hotel on your recent visit, and that you found the location to be perfect for everything you wanted to do. We would love to have you back again with the family. Thank you for your kind words.

All the best,

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2011

When I stayed at the Vancouver Hyatt I didn't know about the controversy and this chain's practices, had I know I would not have stayed there. The hotel is fantastic and the best I have stayed in. So it's too bad.
First, the rooms are amazing. They must have renovated recently because the furniture is very classy and modern. What an ambiance. The shades are very edgy. The bathrooms are unique. I have never seen anything like it.
The service was fine except they try to push you to their self-serve counters. I don't want some dumb machine. I get that at work all the time. I want human, smiling, cute service. Put a nice girl with a smile behind the counter that welcomes me in a nice skirt. Seriously.
It is busy in their lobby but that means they should hire more employees, doesn't it??
Speaking of which, I have since learned that they fired their staff (many news items available) because they were unionized in favour of cheaper and less quality employees. This apparently happened (at least) in their North American locations. Sad sad sad... I am not in favour of this. Sad when multinational locations do this when they earn a billion.
too bad they have great location, great rooms and bathrooms, but my conscience is sad.
PS: Stop charging for the Internet really. Crappy Best Western and Marriott give it away!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Dear TornotoBusinessMan,

I appreciate you tagging us the "Best Hotel in Vancouver". Our team is a very proud group and will enjoy hearing your praise. The contracting out of cleaning services you are referring to occurred exclusively in Boston in 2009, was not the result of any chain-wide practice or directive and had no ties to Hyatt Regency Vancouver or any of our other hotels. On your next visit to Vancouver, I would be happy to have a coffee with you and discuss this further if you would like. I am glad you found our accommodations, location and associates here to be the best you've ever encountered and we all hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2011

This hotel is a little tired and the lobby could use a facelift, but overall I would recommend. The room was spacious and clean and it looked like some aspects has been recently updated -- the bathroom was very nice and the carpet and TV looked new. The room had a very nice workspace, and was pretty quite given the busy street on which it was situated. The staff were nice, friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good -- and again the staff could not have been nicer. There is a Starbucks off the lobby which was convenient, and access to an underground mall (which closed at about 5pm I think -- but nonetheless seemed to have some nice stores. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
Dear maldivesod,

You have a keen eye. The rooms were recently renovated and the lobby is scheduled for its update next month with the replacement of all furniture, carpets, planters, artwork...everything. It is a very exciting design and new layout which I hope you have the opportuntiy to come back and see.

Thank you for your comments regarding our amazing team. They are a very proud group and certainly appreciate your kind words.

Langley, BC
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We live in the metro Vancouver area and on occasion stay in the downtown district in order to avoid having to travel home due to an event taking place or as a quick getaway.

This was the first time we had stayed at the Hyatt Regency and were very impressed with everything from the accommodations to the staff.

We stayed the first night at the rack-rate and the subsequent 2 using frequent traveler points. For the first night, we stayed in a "regular" room and then were upgraded to a suite for the next 2. Both rooms were lovely and, frankly, while the suite was nice, nothing was really missing from the first room to really make me overly envious of having missed the suite on the first night.

Parking downtown is expensive and the attendant at check-in gave us some tips on saving money. At breakfast, my wife developed a cough and a very attentive server brought over a "home remedy" of hot water, lemon and honey. When we moved from the first room to the second room, the attendant that moved our belongings was very helpful, quick, and efficient, not to mention the move took place earlier in the day than we had anticipated and allowed us to (re)settle in.

Overall an excellent experience from a "local" hotel that exceeded our experiences with other local hotels in Vancouver so far.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear Langley_BC,

Thank you for selecting us for your recent stay and for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you were able to use your frequent traveler points to treat your wife to a nice getaway. It is great to hear how our associates exceeded your expectations and that you found the stay to be the best you have had in Vancouver. I look forward to sharing your kind words with our team and welcoming you back for your next “local” visit!