“2 nights-great time”

Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #28 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We visited this property last weekend (Saturday to Monday) and really enjoyed our stay. The location is perfect-you can walk so many places-great food and shopping nearby! The female concierge at the hotel is terrific-very helpful and knowledgeable-take advantage. She also made reservations for us at the nearby new Cactus Club for dinner. This location does not normally take reservations but if a hotel calls they will. This property is well maintained, very clean, professional while not being stuffy, and very friendly. Parking and breakfast is pricey so get a package that includes these if possible. I would go back in a heartbeat!
There seems to be a guy in the area that makes a habit of yelling in the middle of the night (sometime around 2:00 a.m.) and it was loud enough on the 14th floor to awaken me. This happened both nights and I know this sounds strange but even though it was a yell it sounded like the same voice both nights.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed at the Metropolitan in Vancouver July 8 & 9 2012. What a wonderful experience. We arrived early ( 11:30 am) and were able to get into our room immediately. The room was very very nice. The customer service, from the check in desk, door men, parking attendants, room service, concierge and restaurant was outstanding. I have stayed at many high end hotels and must say that this is possibly the best service I have ever received. The location is perfect ,the hotel is beautiful and the staff are amazing.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I just returned from two nights at the Metropolitan Hotel. We had some of the best service I've seen in a hotel, with a few misses.

We purchased a LivingSocial deal for 2 nights at a great price. It does not expire until this August, so I delayed making reservations until the spring - imagine my dismay when I noticed the fine print that said reservations had to be made by April. I absolutely hate it when places do this - it feels like they're trying to get out of meeting the obligations they've sold me.

Because I'd missed the deadline by a month, I was expecting to only get one night instead of two when I called to make the reservation. I didn't even have to bring it up - the reservations clerk did mention I'd missed the deadline, but smoothed it over fairly quickly and gave me the full two nights anyway. A huge win from a potential return customer, and proof that it pays to be nice.

We arrived at about 1pm and were able to check into our room immediately. I requested and was given a "high floor" room - the 14th, with a decent view. The room was fine, it was pretty clear what was dated (shower) and what had been upgraded recently. The shower was a free standing glass stall that looked like it would be a tight fit if you are a larger person, and certainly wouldn't work if you are very tall. The bathroom also boasted an enormous tub and tons of counter space.

Right after we got to the room an "honor bar attendant" knocked and asked if we needed anything for our honor bar...uhm, no, we just checked in! He stopped by the next day too, and left a card while we were out. Interesting service offered, and they will do turndown service if you request it as well. We accidentally left our "do not disturb" sign on the door when we left for the day and housekeeping had called and left a message asking if we needed them - again a nice touch.

The room was fine, and thoughtfully prepared. A power strip was provided for all of the gadgetry, I assume to overcome the lack of outlets or charging options. The TV seemed disproportionately tiny for the size of the room, but that wasn't really important to us. They also had a bureau I wish every hotel had - drawers underneath with the top obviously meant for use as a luggage rack.

Our deal also included breakfast each morning at Diva. The first morning we got to Diva with about 1/2 hour left before they closed which clearly irritated the host, as did our complimentary coupons "Oh you have *those*." Our waitress that day though was great, very quickly got us our food, friendly when she explained our options and didn't forget a thing. The waiter on our second morning was rude, took 20 minutes to bring me my coffee even though he was helping others around us - he was full of attitude and forgetful. The food itself was good, though oddly inconsistent across both mornings - my husband ordered the European breakfast which came with a tiny cup of yogurt on day one, and a large bowl on day two? It is also pricey - a simple cup of drip coffee will set you back $4.50. (If you can't do without your morning joe and don't want to pay for it, zip down to the pool area on the 3rd floor and enjoy the complimentary coffee there - at least get some of that $8 fee you pay for those amenities back!)

We did not use the pool/workout room. It had a great view, was quiet, though it seemed in need of updating. There was a room labeled as a library but it was locked.

The hotel is well located. It is very near Granville street for great nightlife and restaurants, and its location near the Granville Skytrain and Vancouver City Station make the rest of the city very accessible to you. We had taken the Amtrak train in from Seattle, for example, and were just two Skytrain stops from the hotel.

The only other negative experience I had was when I reported to the front desk that their secondary elevator (located out front of the lobby, with access to the 3rd floor - parking) had a giant puddle of water on it that should be attended to before someone fell. The front desk clerk gaped at me open-mouthed, and kept saying "Really?!?" as if I'd make something like that up. She never thanked me for reporting it and when I expected a "We'll see to it promptly" none was forthcoming. Oh well, I tried to be helpful!

All in all I would recommend the hotel - it is clear that despite the bad waiter and a desk clerk that needed a bit of training that service is something they emphasize. The location is also pretty great for public transit. Don't expect breathtaking views of the harbor though, or completely up-to-date decor.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My daughter and I went to Van for a girl's weekend. We usually stay at the Sheraton Wall street but decided to try something new. We were very happy with the service, impecabble service, awesome view, love the bathroom spacious and love the shower!

Would recommend this hotel to anymore, close to everything.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I have stayed here a number of times now and really appreciate the local and rooms - but the service is really top notch. I agree with another comment that the restaurant is not on par with 4 and 5 star Vancouver hotels. Room service options are a bit limited as well....

Room Tip: If you are a shopper, well this is the spot - quick access to the mall
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We chose to celebrate our anniversary with a staycation in Vancouver. We stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel in Vancouver. From the moment we parked our car we were set for a fantastic night. The courteous and friendly staffed informed us of all we needed to know without being pushy. The modern decor of our luxury king room made us wish our home looked as rich with the warm colours and clean lines. The pocket french doors gave the room a romantic touch. The bed was especially comfortable. We even received turndown service. The desserts that were delivered to our room were decadent. I hope that we can make this an annual event. The location of the hotel is perfect for anywhere that you would like to get around to in the core of downtown Vancouver. Staycations are a great idea - especially when you can do it in style with the Metropolitan.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

It was my partner and I six year anniversary and i wanted to have a nice relaxing weekend in Vancouver.I quess Vancouver is not really the place to go if you want to relax. The man at the front desk was very nice, we were allowed to check in early and our room was upgraded from a luxury king room to a junior suite. The room was nice except the furniture looked a bit worn and there was a large stain on the carpet, bathroom was really nice and the bed was really comfortable with really good quaility linens. Our room over looked the street and was pretty much parrell with the hotels nextdoors pool area which looked nice. The curtains were good because they blocked out nearly all of the light and most of the noise from the street.
Parking was an issue because most of the spaces seemed to be reserved for hotel staff there were spaces for small cars but we weren't sure if you could park in them because there were signs that seemed to be reserving them for Zipcars. Also there was nobody at the little valet area to give us a parking ticket , we asked at the desk if we could park in one the small car spots, the fellow at the desk said it was fine as long as it wasn't reserved. Still we didnt want the car towed so we did have to go back to the garage and walk up the ramp again to find someone to give us a parking ticket. (parking cost $30)
We ended up have dinner in our room via room service which as you might guess was expensive. We had two Diva Burgers which were a little cold but it tasted good with some great pickles on it. The man that delivered the table was really nice and provided good service.
My only real problem with this hotel is the Diva restaurant. After we finished our dinner we went down to the Diva for dessert and as i told the waiter a few drinks. We walked right up to the dining area which seemed to annoy the wait staff as we were told that we could go sit in comfy lounge or as an after thought we would stay in the dining area. Someone mistakenly almost brought us some bread to which was greeted by not one but two people saying "no bread, no bread" we ordered two glasses of wine and two desserts. The wine came first , when the dessert came i guess i forgot to move my napkin from the area where the plate was to go and i was asked in condesending way to "remove my napkin" That made me feel rather unwelcome. Then as soon as our dessert plates were empty a bill was brought. They didn't ask us if were done or if we wanted another drink. It really felt like they just wanted us to leave. I have to say it made me feel really ashamed. Like i wasn't really good enough to eat there. I literally went back to my room with my partner and cried. I don't think i could go back without being reminded of it so i doubt i will ever stay at this hotel or eat at this restaurant again.