“Perfect for sightseeing stopover”

Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #28 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Perfect for sightseeing stopover”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel was superb for our 2 night stay after arriving in Vancouver. Great deal through our travel company. The best room we had during our Canadian adventure -deluxe- with the most comfortable bed ever! Large room and lovely marble bathroom, very clean. Staff were all very welcoming. Fantastic location, close to skytrain from the airport, which was so easy, and very quiet. Didn't use the pool or restaurant so can't comment there. Would certainly return. Thank you Met.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

A wonderful start to our holiday in Canada. Good value for money and service. Central location to skytrain for the airport . Directly opposite pan pacific shopping mall. Thankyou for our complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. Large spacious room which was immaculate and very quiet. Elegant spacious bathroom with separate shower cubicle and bath tub. Added touches of complimentary molton brown products and even a card placed on your pillow to advise us of the outlook of the weather for the next day! Great pool and jacuzzi.... although was a little too hot for our liking. Business facilities for email, and printing free. We dined at the Met restaurant which was very delicious for breakfast. The most impressive thing for us is the impeccable level of service we got from the Conscierges Doug and Oliver who went above and beyond to help us plan our trip across Canada. They are a true asset to the hotel, Always friendly, offering to help with bookings and gave good advice on restaurants to dine at. This is what made the difference. Compared to all our hotels we stayed at, including Fairmont, this is what made the metropolitan a class of its own.

Room Tip: The higher the better for view and to avoid street noise. Level of 9 was good.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your great review. We are glad that you had a chance to explore our hotel, facilities and dine in Diva! Oliver has been with the hotel for many many years and knows the best places to go in the city. We are looking forward to seeing you back again soon!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Overall, I found your hotel to be clean and the reception staff very efficient and check-in and out was quick and hassle free. Wi-Fi coverage was good, and worked well. I was very happy about the rooms and design and layout, availability of power plugs, TV functionality, shower, convenience items first rate and my first impressions was that I thought it was a better designed hotel than most. I did not have the opportunity to make use of the spa or gym or office facilities. However, my associate, who was also staying at the hotel advised me that the gym facilities were not wiped down and surprised me by making the statement that he was very concerned about the possibility of staphylococcus infections as the equipment looked so unclean, so I can only conclude the conditions were less than acceptable.

The hotel is an older one and is showing its age and renovations are needed for the hallway decorations and furniture and elevators in particular.

I had two very critical issues that were quite significant that I wish to bring to the hotel management’s attention. First, the elevator was out of service during the almost three days we were there and, we were advised, it was not going to be back in service until the weekend as a part was on-order. Now, as there were only two elevators in the building and with one not working, we found we (and other guests) were waiting up to half an hour to get an elevator; or rather the elevator. This is not acceptable, the part could have been flown in from wherever it was in the world overnight. I can understand a day or two or even three but to have the elevator (and a single one at that and over 18 stories to deal with) out for that long simply won’t cut it. We were there for a conference, it should have been working. As the lower 3 floors, which housed the business center, the gym facilities, etc., were also locked off, it was essentially impossible for the attendees to move between floors without planning a significant chunk of time as a contingency.

Secondly, I will related that on the first evening, sitting in the DIVA lounge my associate and I were enjoying appetizers and a drink when we were joined by a mouse running across the nice shiny floor and hiding under the table adjacent to us. It then stayed for a while taking in the atmosphere, before enthusiastically running towards the kitchen, where it disappeared into a corner to join the worker there. We did advise the staff of the unwanted guest however they did not appear overly concerned. We did not return to eat or drink in that restaurant for the remainder of our stay. I am not expecting to stay at your hotel again.

1 Thank Rockmotordad
Joe D, General Manager at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Rockmotordad,
Thank you again for taking the time to write and share your observations as we learn so much from our guests and their expectations. Notes such as yours allow us to frame up constructive feedback and enable us to better serve our guests.

I am terribly disappointed that your visit was less than acceptable and that you have left with a poor impression of us. Clearly, this is not what you or we had envisioned for this trip. Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of our team here at the Metropolitan Vancouver. We will have focal discussions regarding your visit with each of the team that you had encountered in a sincere effort to learn about how we can be better in the future. Our efforts are usually extremely well received by our guests from product to service experiences. Obviously in your case we fell far from our mark.

Currently, we do clean all of our health club equipment on a scheduled bi-weekly basis with a bleach and water solution. We are looking at our standards and will be implementing a more preventative weekly cleaning and sanitizing of the equipment. Once again, we do apologize for the elevator and we thank you for your feedback regarding the service. The elevator company was unfortunately having a difficult time locating the exact part required to get our elevator up and running. Hindsight dictates that we should have been more proactive and allowed stair access through your conference period. We also sincerely regret the problem you and your guest experienced in our lounge and thank you for bringing it to our attention, as we were not aware of this. Rest assured, we have contacted an outside company to eradicate any potential issues they may find.

I am so pleased to hear that you had positive experiences through the reception staff and your check-in / out was smooth. We are also pleased to hear your positive thoughts on the functionality, design and layout of our rooms.

Please rest assured that we will work diligently at improving our product and guest experience. Hopefully at some point in the future, you'll give us another opportunity to try us again. Do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future reservations.

Joe Dias
Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The location is very good, foot distance to any attraction or restaurant in downtown Vancouver and close to major transportation stations. The flip side is that the hotel is really dated. Some of the rooms facing away from the street will face office towers of such proximity that is impossible to have the blinds open for as anybody can see into the room at any time. I had an upgrade at the top floor but the room was still small and dated. The furniture and the carpet needs to be change. There is a definite smell of dust in the air when you walk into the room.

Victoria, BC
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My second stay (on a Living Social coupon) and everything was superb - Diva has a new chef and she is quite the talent! My room was beautiful and quiet, the location is convenient, the health facilities quite good, and all of the staff bend over backwards to be helpful.

Room Tip: Top floors have the best views, of course!
1 Thank Frequenttraveler096
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed overnight at this hotel while on business. I found the staff to be very pleasant and was surprised when they could accommodate my early arrival (11 am). The room was very nice: bed was comfortable, lots of pillows, spacious washroom with both a tub and shower. Amenities were good, loved the lap pool. For me, the location was excellent, across from the Sky Train from the airport, walking distance from everywhere I wanted to go. I would definitely choose this hotel again.

My only complaint was that they advertised a free car to my first meeting organized by the consierge beginning at 7:30, but when I finally left at 7:45, he had not yet arrived.

Seattle
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The Metropolitan isn't the newest or fanciest place in town, but it's very clean, in a wonderful location, and has *step-out balconies.* That's right, you can open your sliding glass door, stand outside and view Vancouver life as it happens. Loved that. Also loved the giant bathroom with a stool to use while doing hair/makeup. I found my room to be very quiet, and it was plenty comfortable. Staff were nice and accommodating of my one special request, and having Diva at the Met as the hotel restaurant is a total bonus. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you found our little gem in the city and all that we have to offer! We have some great new menu items coming up shortly in Diva at the Met, so we hope to see you back here soon!