“Get a Harbor-View Room”

Ranked #41 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Get a Harbor-View Room”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Although we were only here for two nights, the staff was very welcoming from the time we checked-in, to the time we left. Our room had a view of the harbor; could watch the sea planes take off and land. Within walking distance of the harbor area, shopping and restaurants. Food in the concierge lounge was great, as were the morning and evening attendants; very personable, helpful and professional. Would stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Book a higher floor with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Over the past few years I've had the opportunity to stay in a few hotels in the downtown Vancouver area, including The Loden Hotel, the Fairmont Waterfront and, most recently, The Renaissance. All the properties are somewhat similar in location and, while different in pricing, they all share similar attributes when it comes to accommodations and amenities.

The Renaissance falls in the middle of the price spectrum amongst the three but I feel it's not the leader in the price-value relationship. The Loden feels a better option.

About the rooms:
Average by all means, usual amenities you would expect from a any hotel in this category: cleanliness, duvets, flat screen TVs. A few worthwhile mentions:
- some rooms have a balcony, something unusual in most properties and a GREAT plus if you face the bay.
- the toiletries are blah... This could just be me, I'm picky about this stuff.
- no free wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby... Really?!? It's 2014!!!
- the bathrooms seemed tiny compared to the other properties I experienced
- the decor felt a bit dated, not horribly, just slightly

Didn't try the restaurants on property... and neither should you, there are far too many cool options in Vancouver to be spending your time eating in a hotel restaurant.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan F
Kevin M, Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
JFrontado,

Good to see you keep coming back to Vancouver and we hope to see you back at the Renaissance again, even though as you mention there are a lot of options out there. As many people mention on this site and others our location and view is incredible but it’s the engaged team of Renaissance Ambassador’s that make the difference and keep so many of our regular guests coming back.

As for dining, while you correctly point out there is an abundance of choices in Vancouver it would be a mistake to avoid the hotel restaurants simply because they are located in a hotel. In Vancouver some of your top choices are located in hotels including the 3 hotels you have critiqued.

On your next visit give one of us a try and see what you’re missing out on.

Safe travels,

Kevin Miller
Director of Operations
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our room was clean and comfortable. We had a harbor-side room with a Juliet type balcony. We were there May 15-17 and the weather was warm during the day and cool at night so we kept our windows open to the outdoors. We could see the Harbor and hear the ships horns! The sea planes provided a daily show and a bit of noise with the windows open, but we did not mind. Two minor complaints are that there is no fee free internet to the rooms, is that common in Canada and the rooms are a tad small. Loved the location and the view from the room. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Harbor side on a higher level.
Park Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Couldn't wait to get to the USA so I had Internet service and write this review! Checked in early Sunday the 8th of June not expecting a room to be ready but was greeted with a "we're oversold and sending you somewhere else"! I let my wife do the talking otherwise things would have become unpleasant. By the way I prepaid back in January for our 3 night stay. Wife was able to get us a room but that was a MISTAKE.
Went to our room and then toured Vancouver the rest of the day. Monday morning only one of the 5 elevators was working. One of them went down a floor then back up, then down and back up! Monday night at 10:30 pm there was very, very loud music coming from somewhere so down to the front desk I went. Told there was a "meeting" going on. I said with music that Loy's at 10:30 pm on a Monday? Just got a shrug of the shoulders and a "yeah". Tried to sleep, couldn't so went to look for the source of the "meeting" place. Two floors below me I found an IT dance party going on, videoed it, then found an employee and asked him what time the pounding, live band music was supposed to stop. He said midnight and sure enough it was midnight and the last song ended! I asked him if this was commonplace and he said no, that it was very loud indeed! I asked who the general manager was and he said they didn't have one until some time in July. Earlier when I picked up the house phone to ask twice when the "meeting" would end I was told to hang on for a manager. Of course none came to the phone!
Tuesday one of the keys to our room didn't work and the phone in our room wouldn't allow us to call Guest Services or the hotel operator!
Checked out today and when asked how our stay was I said terrible and they offered me a manager who just stood there and said I apologize while I gave him my list of issues. No offer of any compensation, nothing but I apologize and will forward your complaints up the ladder. Just a totally unacceptable experience!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank prguy
Kevin M, Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
prguy,

I was very disappointed to see your review and the experience it details. I am truly sorry that your stay with us was filled with such confusion and miscommunication. I do hope we can discuss your stay in greater detail in the near future. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Kevin Miller
Director of Operations
City of Angels, CA
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one night before our Alaska Cruise. The hotel is close to Canada Place, where cruise ships are docked. It is also close to Robson St and Gastown etc.
The hotel is a nice quality Marriott. I was actually surprised that it is listed only as a 3+ star hotel on TripAdvisor.
We had a club floor room facing Marriott Pinnacle. We were disappointed we didn't get a harbor-side room, but I guess we have to blame ourselves, because we didn't think of asking for it. Another disappointment was that the club lounge was closed for the weekend (Sat-Sun).
We did get a coupon for the complimentary continental breakfast in lieu of the club lounge being closed. Wifi was complimentary as well as a bottle of water. I didn't see any daily newspapers.
When I book another Marriott stay, I will certainly ask, what are the club lounge opening days/ hours.

2 Thank Tramp08
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel is surrounded by much taller buildings, but the waterfront views are still largely unobstructed. That's probably the best thing going for the hotel. Otherwise, it's a decent hotel located across from another Marriott that's much taller than this hotel (if view from a high floor is important). The room had a balcony but no furniture in the balcony. I moved the desk chair there and sat there to watch sea planes take off and land in the water about two blocks from the hotel. The breakfast had everything, and the service was good. There were lots of airline crews coming and leaving throughout the day. The lobby seemed full of them throughout the day. The concierge lounge was closed on weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the waterfront, on a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Colorado
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is located right in the middle of what is happening in Vancouver. Great location. The staff from the front desk on were excellent-very accommodating, polite and went out of their way to make our experience memorable. Of note was Alex Monetta, Concierge who is indeed an asset to this hotel. She was so helpful and personable-she is one person who stood out as someone who delivers excellent customer service!