“Wonderful stay”

The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront
Ranked #40 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We come to Vancouver at least once per year. This time we booked the room via last minute travel club and got an awesome deal considering the time of year with prom nights, weddings and Canada day. When we checked in, we got upgraded to theit harbourside room with free Internet for 30 bucks. All the staff was very courteous and professional. The room has a direct view of the water, spacious and clean. Their fitness center is great. Opens 24 hrs a day with free towels, a hot tub, and a pool. The pool is great for kids with the lowest side of 2'6". No life guard though. Oh btw, they even provide earphones for you to plug into the machine so you can watch tv or music. Cool!!! The hotel is only steps away from the Stanley park. 6 blocks away from the Robson street. 5 blocks from the grand central Station. Just an awesome location. However, there are not much of a selection of restaurants. Just go down to Robson and have a good feast there :) If you like Asian food, the Tropika (thai and malaysian) and ChangQing (Chinese Schezuan style) are awesome. They do have steakhouses and burger joins if you want...we were happy campers :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nononesense

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

That was a business trip for five days in aplace well known for its nice face. Well, the hotel followed that general rule. It was walking distance from dowtown shops and restaurants, the convention centre and Gastown. The rooms were of decent size and the beds comfortable. WiFi was available free at the lobby. I have to stop and say something for all the staff;they were exclellent and offeres a personal touch to their helpful attitude. That was true for Bogdan and Erin , omn the bar area. There were no queues in the reception and the bell boys were more than informative Checkout was easy and quick. One small coment for the breakfast;it wasn;t rich but one could fill himself easily. I could easily come back there.

Room Tip: For the city view rooms, avoid the sxith and seventh floor and the rooms from .14 to .18.They overlo...
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Ok, so the location is great, but don't stay here if you actually want to sleep. Last night was a party of some sort, tonight it is a wedding party. It is now 1:00am, and the noise from the 2nd floor is reverberating in our room on the 6th floor. I can't believe we are paying $270/ night to put up with this crap. I talked to front desk twice this evening. They were sympathetic, but powerless to remedy the situation. The Renaissance is not a hotel, it is a party place. So don't waste your money here if you want to sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Betsy,

Yes we are a busy group destination hotel that hosts a variety of different functions including meetings, city wide events, weddings, graduations, and many more unique events throughout the year. Regardless of the type of event you shouldn’t have to put up with noise at 1 a.m. in the morning. I am truly sorry to see you were disturbed at such an inappropriate time at night and can assure you that our Events and Banquet teams will use your feedback to discuss appropriate noise levels and quiet times for any group visiting our hotel. I do hope you have the opportunity to try us again and see why most comments on our hotel focus on our wonderful staff and our fantastic views over everything else.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed one night at the Renaissance while attending a convention. The front desk staff was excellent. My first impression of a hotel always starts with the front desk. The young lady took the time to suggest a great restaurant and made sure I knew how to get to the convention center. My room was clean and bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was small but clean. My only complaint about the hotel would be the internet. It was not working when I arrived and after an hour I gave up trying to finish some work and walked over to the convention center. By the time I returned back to the hotel a few hours later it was up and working. Not sure if this is a regular occurrence or not. The hotel is located by the waterfront, convention center and tons of restaurants and tourist attractions. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are attending a convention. I like being within walking distance of a meeting. My only suggestion would be to check other reviews to ensure that the internet issues were just a fluke.

1 Thank Michelle A
Kevin M, Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Michelle,

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes for a trip to Vancouver you can’t go wrong with our location. As for the internet, the issue you experienced was just that, a fluke. We experienced an outage for about 90 minutes which is not a normal occurrence by any means. The fault has been identified and corrected so no need to worry for future stays.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I think my review will echo many of the others; the location was great. Down along the waterfront with so many shops, restaurants, and interesting sites all within walking distance. I thought it was a bit pricey, but I didn't check room rates of similar hotels in area, so it may have been an appropriate rate. The staff here are all very personable and hospitable. I did end up having tea & dessert one day in the on-site restaurant, and it was excellent. They serve Taylor's tea, which is my favorite. The crème brulee was outstanding; in fact, it was the best I've ever had in my life. I can't comment on the entrees, but the tea and dessert are superb. My room faced the water and had a balcony, and as others have commented there was no furniture on balcony. It was OK, though, because I just opened the drapes and the balcony door and had a sort of open-air room. The rooms were medium sized, and the bathrooms very small. The toiletries provided were Aveda products, for those interested. The lounge on 19th floor for Platinum/Gold members serves a lovely breakfast with hot eggs, meat, and lots of fresh fruit. I did not have a chance to visit the fitness facility, as I had a hip injury, so I can't comment on that. I stayed here 4 days and did not hear any noise, including any sirens or horns. This was quite a pleasant surprise considering this is a major city. The internet access was on the slower side, but it was tolerable. In terms of distance from airport, it is an approximately 25 minute ride from the airport and the fare is ~$35.

Room Tip: facing water on higher floor
2 Thank Heather W
Kevin M, Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Heather,

We truly are blessed with an incredible location so central to the seawall and all it has to offer, especially those views! As you mention one of the best ways to take in the view is by enjoying the desserts in p2b with a nice tea or cappuccino. You’re right about the Crème Brulee, however on your next trip you should try the Chocolate X Three, it’s one of the best deserts my sweet tooth has had.

Hope you have the opportunity to join us again this summer.

Thanks again,

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Although we were only here for two nights, the staff was very welcoming from the time we checked-in, to the time we left. Our room had a view of the harbor; could watch the sea planes take off and land. Within walking distance of the harbor area, shopping and restaurants. Food in the concierge lounge was great, as were the morning and evening attendants; very personable, helpful and professional. Would stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Book a higher floor with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Over the past few years I've had the opportunity to stay in a few hotels in the downtown Vancouver area, including The Loden Hotel, the Fairmont Waterfront and, most recently, The Renaissance. All the properties are somewhat similar in location and, while different in pricing, they all share similar attributes when it comes to accommodations and amenities.

The Renaissance falls in the middle of the price spectrum amongst the three but I feel it's not the leader in the price-value relationship. The Loden feels a better option.

About the rooms:
Average by all means, usual amenities you would expect from a any hotel in this category: cleanliness, duvets, flat screen TVs. A few worthwhile mentions:
- some rooms have a balcony, something unusual in most properties and a GREAT plus if you face the bay.
- the toiletries are blah... This could just be me, I'm picky about this stuff.
- no free wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby... Really?!? It's 2014!!!
- the bathrooms seemed tiny compared to the other properties I experienced
- the decor felt a bit dated, not horribly, just slightly

Didn't try the restaurants on property... and neither should you, there are far too many cool options in Vancouver to be spending your time eating in a hotel restaurant.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan F
JFrontado,

Good to see you keep coming back to Vancouver and we hope to see you back at the Renaissance again, even though as you mention there are a lot of options out there. As many people mention on this site and others our location and view is incredible but it’s the engaged team of Renaissance Ambassador’s that make the difference and keep so many of our regular guests coming back.

As for dining, while you correctly point out there is an abundance of choices in Vancouver it would be a mistake to avoid the hotel restaurants simply because they are located in a hotel. In Vancouver some of your top choices are located in hotels including the 3 hotels you have critiqued.

On your next visit give one of us a try and see what you’re missing out on.

Safe travels,