“Better Options Elsewhere”

Ranked #38 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Indiana
“Better Options Elsewhere”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

On balance, we were somewhat disappointed with the property that is the Renaissance Vancouver Harborside. As other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are pretty small. Our room looked out over the harbor and would have been very nice had the view not been partially obstructed by two very tall buildings, and we were on the 16th floor. The lobby is spacious and fairly nice, though the average visitor will likely spend little time there.

We ate two reasonable buffet breakfasts there. While the food was acceptable, it was nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

The location was also average. The hotel is not particularly "right next to" any major sites, though it is a 10-15 minute walk to Stanley Park and some very scenic waterside walking paths. The purpose of our visit was our maiden trip to Bard On The Beach, and the bus we took to get to the Shakespeare festival was around a 10 minute walk. The ferry to Granville Island -- which was very impressive -- was about a 20 minute walk.

I found the concierge and all employees I spoke with to be personable and friendly.

On balance, the Renaissance Harborside is a hotel I wish I could like more -- we just didn't find it to be comparable to the typical luxury you get for a $300 per night hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel is obviously older, though the lobby has definitely been redone to be more modern. We were greeted promptly and politely by all staff we encountered. The gentleman who checked me in offered me complimentary WiFi access which was nice. I'm starting to notice this at some hotels though I haven't quite figured out what you have to do to get it. The other couple I was traveling with did not get complimentary WiFi, though I shared. I had a corner room that quite large but it became very clear that the room was in dire need to renovation or redecoration. It has ugly wall paper, and funky coloured carpet. The mattresses have seen better days. It almost devoured me when I got in -- soft. The bathroom looked like it had a new granite counter top put onto the old vanity. The doors were old and had large gaps so sound travelled through. This includes the sounds from outside the old windows and from the hallway. While I have no concerns about the service the owners of this hotel really need to invest some money into bringing it on par with many other nicer hotels in Vancouver before I would consider staying again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
AsstOpsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear RecessTime,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that our staff were able to provide great service during your stay with us and will share your feedback with the team. I also appreciate the comments regarding the condition of your guest room and would like to discuss the details further so that we may address these issues. Please email me at bryan.watson@marriott.com at your convenience. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and show you the great experience that is expected when staying at a Renaissance hotel.

Warm Regards,

Bryan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

After staying with Marriot & Coast hotels in BC, tried here for a change....big mistake. Queues at check in, queues for breakfast & an extra $6 for a cappuccino? slow service and a grumpy bar manager that insisted that we couldn't use the empty balcony on a warm evening. Add to that rough towels, empty mini bar, 10mins to retrieve my car from the valet. Rooms nice enough but I would advise you use the Marriot opposite.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lee B
Dear Lee B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. I greatly appreciate the feedback, as it is this information that helps us to improve our service. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at Bryan.Watson@renaissancehotels.com so I may find out further details regarding your experience. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and to display the high level of service that is typical of our hotel.

Warm Regards,

Bryan
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was at our annual Epicure Selections Conference at the Vancouver Convention Ctr. Staying at the Renaissance Vancouver was just a few stone throws away. Many of our Consultants, Leaders & Directors stayed at this location as well. I arrived before check in time and was able to keep my luggage secure until access to our room. Wow, one of the door men opened the cab door before I had to. That was so nice because my hands were full of many other things. The pool was lots of fun and our view of the bay was just so beautiful. At the end of our stay our invoices were slid under the door and we were all paid up. So no line ups downstairs in the lobby. Parking was secure even with posted "Do not leave anything in your car"(or something like that)

Room Tip: Either side would be great I am sure. Just a note not certain if Museums is close, I do know Vancouv...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Baton rouge
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Overall had a good hotel experience. They charge your card as soon as you book it so you're kind of in for whatever; but I would book it again. They upgraded us to a bay view room on check in and that was very nice. Friendly staff and efficient check in. Room was commodious and nice facilities with pool and hot tub. Breakfast cost me $127 for my family of 4 but was nice food and service. close to Canada cruise ship terminal. close to Vancouver Seawall. We flew in from Louisiana so we were ready for bed about 2100 local time. unfortunately were forced to hear the conversation of guests staying in room next to us when we were ready to sleep. They were not speaking loudly so I couldn't really complain. Just wish the hotel had more insulation in the walls. If you stay here, I recommend you speak softly in your hotel room especially if speaking about anything you prefer to keep private.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Orleans, Ontario
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in late-May for 3 nights for an international conference and found the hotel good from a "value" perspective. While it is not a 4- or 5-star property compared to its competitors (two Fairmonts and Marriott Pinnacle) close by, it is functional in terms of good food, comfortable if a bit tired rooms and a nice gym along with prime access to the trail into gorgeous Stanley Park. However, it's ability to host a convention is questioned given the dingyness of some of its space, especially below ground level and when the hotel is full and running multiple conventions, the elevators are quite slow.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Salima L, Front Office Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, as your comments are very much valued and appreciated. I am glad you had the opportunity to eat in our hotel at the fabulous p2b Bistro & Bar and enjoy the beautiful seawall in Stanley Park. Our location is definitely one of our biggest assets!

Our commitment to investing in our property will continue throughout the year, including updates to the elevators. We appreciate your business, and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you and solicit more feedback at your convenience. My email address is salima.ladha@renaissancehotels.com, and my direct line is 604-691-2760.

Warmest Regards,
Salima Ladha
Operations Manager, Rooms
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A very good hotel in a great location. Very friendly and courteous staff. Nice restaurant in the lobby. Rooms could use a little updating, especially in the bathrooms. Rooms near the elevators are especially noisy, but away from the elevators are fairly well sound insulated. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing Coal Harbor but away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family