“Ok hotel excellent staff ”

The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront
Ranked #40 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Having been a marriott platinum/ gold member for as long as I can remember with over 900 nights lifetime I wanted to take a moment and talk about my 8 day stay here last week. First the good and very good.....the hotel is clean which is always of paramount importance to me. And the staff from top to bottom was extremely friendly and helpful. Also knowledgeable about the area which helped a ton! The gym had above average size as well as equipment most hotel gyms do not. The pool is indoor and can be a bit crowded at times and it's not the place for you if you wish to lay by the pool and sun yourself. The concierge lounge was pretty good... The breakfast was great! But the evening food left a bit to be desired. Most nights it was the same thing not quite what I would expect for this caliber a hotel. The worst thing about the stay was the wifi. If I was traveling purely for business and needed the internet to work I could not stay here at all as it was absolutely awful! Frequent disconnects if we could connect at all! This really needs to be remedied by the hotel as another reviewer mentioned the urban market around the corner has free wifi which was lightning fast and free! Overall the hotel was fine for our needs but there are areas for improvement.

Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,993)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here for three nights prior to cruise to Alaska. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They always seemed to be ahead of our needs. The most valuable asset they have is their concierge, Alex. I was struggling with finding appropriate tours, etc. and contacted her prior to our visit. She was so energetic and helpful I was very impressed. She suggested tours that would meet our needs( I have mobility issues) and happily made the arrangements so it was all in place when we arrived. When we introduced ourselves she rolled out the red carpet, greeting us with enthusiasm, making us very comfortable. The hotel was nicely located as we could actually walk the few blocks to the cruise ship terminal.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed a single night before and then for 5 nights after an Alaska cruise organised by Celebrity

A regular business hotel; much what one would expect from a large US chain. Some observations and comments:

Absolutely disgraceful episode when checking in for the five nights: our package gave us a harbourside room upgrade (from city view) for free, but when we checked we were offered this at $30 per room per night. I pointed out this what complimentary and the receptionist said "Oh, I've never seem this deal before ... ah, it says 'If available' .... " I was lost for words: "But you just offered rooms to me ..???? What does 'available' mean???" We got the upgraded rooms but it was a bad start to the stay

The rooms have no 230 volts sockets so if you have a hair drier / straightener or toothbrush that is only European voltage, you're stumped

The air-conditioning is like a hurricane; very noisy indeed and cuts in and out all the time

Like many (but a decreasing number of) hotels, wifi is not free but an iniquitous price per day. This is rare because practically every cafe and restaurant has it for free in the city, including Urban Fare, just 100 yards down the street which also does an excellent breakfast for half the price of the hotel

Comfy bed but only 4' 6" wide, to make room for two in the room which is frankly senseless

On the plus side, the trips manager - the Navigator service - was excellent; she (Alex) sorted out our trips fantastically well for which we were very grateful

Room Tip: You can pay for a 'harbor-side' room but this may turn out to be a 'half harbor-side'...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kevin M, Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

vigarm,

Thank you for recognizing Alex our Concierge, an amazing member of our team who engages with and wow’s our guests on a daily basis. Our associates are why our hotel has so many repeat guests and we are very grateful they are part of our team, and always appreciate when guests take time to recognize them.

As for voltage in our hotel, Vancouver, and all of North America, yes we are all on 110 not 220. But our hotel as many do offer adaptors for any of your items that need power or charging, I do hope you took advantage of this service.

I am sorry to see the confusion with your upgrade and that this was your welcome and have shared your feedback with our front office team to help avoid this confusion in the future. A simple misunderstanding that I am glad to see was corrected right away.

Thanks again for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

Regards,

Kevin Miller
Director of Hotel Operations
Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel

Reviewed 26 July 2014

On balance, we were somewhat disappointed with the property that is the Renaissance Vancouver Harborside. As other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are pretty small. Our room looked out over the harbor and would have been very nice had the view not been partially obstructed by two very tall buildings, and we were on the 16th floor. The lobby is spacious and fairly nice, though the average visitor will likely spend little time there.

We ate two reasonable buffet breakfasts there. While the food was acceptable, it was nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

The location was also average. The hotel is not particularly "right next to" any major sites, though it is a 10-15 minute walk to Stanley Park and some very scenic waterside walking paths. The purpose of our visit was our maiden trip to Bard On The Beach, and the bus we took to get to the Shakespeare festival was around a 10 minute walk. The ferry to Granville Island -- which was very impressive -- was about a 20 minute walk.

I found the concierge and all employees I spoke with to be personable and friendly.

On balance, the Renaissance Harborside is a hotel I wish I could like more -- we just didn't find it to be comparable to the typical luxury you get for a $300 per night hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel is obviously older, though the lobby has definitely been redone to be more modern. We were greeted promptly and politely by all staff we encountered. The gentleman who checked me in offered me complimentary WiFi access which was nice. I'm starting to notice this at some hotels though I haven't quite figured out what you have to do to get it. The other couple I was traveling with did not get complimentary WiFi, though I shared. I had a corner room that quite large but it became very clear that the room was in dire need to renovation or redecoration. It has ugly wall paper, and funky coloured carpet. The mattresses have seen better days. It almost devoured me when I got in -- soft. The bathroom looked like it had a new granite counter top put onto the old vanity. The doors were old and had large gaps so sound travelled through. This includes the sounds from outside the old windows and from the hallway. While I have no concerns about the service the owners of this hotel really need to invest some money into bringing it on par with many other nicer hotels in Vancouver before I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
AsstOpsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear RecessTime,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that our staff were able to provide great service during your stay with us and will share your feedback with the team. I also appreciate the comments regarding the condition of your guest room and would like to discuss the details further so that we may address these issues. Please email me at bryan.watson@marriott.com at your convenience. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and show you the great experience that is expected when staying at a Renaissance hotel.

Warm Regards,

Bryan

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

After staying with Marriot & Coast hotels in BC, tried here for a change....big mistake. Queues at check in, queues for breakfast & an extra $6 for a cappuccino? slow service and a grumpy bar manager that insisted that we couldn't use the empty balcony on a warm evening. Add to that rough towels, empty mini bar, 10mins to retrieve my car from the valet. Rooms nice enough but I would advise you use the Marriot opposite.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Lee B

Dear Lee B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. I greatly appreciate the feedback, as it is this information that helps us to improve our service. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at Bryan.Watson@renaissancehotels.com so I may find out further details regarding your experience. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and to display the high level of service that is typical of our hotel.

Warm Regards,

Bryan

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was at our annual Epicure Selections Conference at the Vancouver Convention Ctr. Staying at the Renaissance Vancouver was just a few stone throws away. Many of our Consultants, Leaders & Directors stayed at this location as well. I arrived before check in time and was able to keep my luggage secure until access to our room. Wow, one of the door men opened the cab door before I had to. That was so nice because my hands were full of many other things. The pool was lots of fun and our view of the bay was just so beautiful. At the end of our stay our invoices were slid under the door and we were all paid up. So no line ups downstairs in the lobby. Parking was secure even with posted "Do not leave anything in your car"(or something like that)

Room Tip: Either side would be great I am sure. Just a note not certain if Museums is close, I do know Vancouv...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business