“Great hotel with a view of Coal Harbor and Stanley Park”

The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront
Ranked #40 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Northern VA
“Great hotel with a view of Coal Harbor and Stanley Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

The view from our room in the Renaissance overlooked Coal Harbor and Stanley Park. We enjoyed watching the seaplanes take off and the various water traffic. Far off we could see the mountains. Our room had the classic Renaissance features and quality. The breakfast was worth getting up early for. Wished we could have stayed longer.

2 Thank Foster32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

We arrived at 8am, following an early morning departure from an Alaskan cruise, given a warm welcome by the receptionist and advised our room was ready. Great to be able to relax for a couple of hours before exploring Vancouver. All the staff very helpful and efficient. An excellent location for downtown Vancouver and the harbour. Excellent stay.

3 Thank Ladygolfer31
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

My wife and I were planning to take a trip to Vancouver and stay two nights. I wanted to stay at the Westin Bayshore, where I had stayed once before, but the room prices were just too high to bear. So once again, I bid on Priceline and gambled, hoping to get something nice. A $99 bid got me two nights here, at the Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel. Reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I had mixed feelings. When we arrived, we parked deep in the parking garage. Actually we found a good parking spot right near the elevator! Checking in was good, the hotel staff were pleasant and professional, no rudeness or even a hint of it at all. We liked the lobby, and the big windows in the p2b bistro looked inviting, so later on in the evening, we went there for a late dinner. There were plenty of tables available, in fact it was very quiet! But our server was a terrific guy, and very friendly and polite and we enjoyed our food and the atmosphere. We paid an extra fee to have a harborside room, which was very well worth it since the water was very close! Also paid for internet which was nice as there were quiet a few people in the lobby sharing the free wireless connection. Really enjoyed the view from the room, and there was no loud traffic outside our room at all which was a real bonus, and much quieter than the hotels on Robson Street in that catagory. The night was a little tough because the people in the room next to ours came home at 1am and were really loud. We asked the front desk the next day if they were leaving and they were not, so the front desk was able to move us to another room. I asked for and got a room with no adjoining room, and got one facing the water two floors up from the room we stayed in the first night. Had dinner at the p2b bistro the second night as well, and got the same server. I had the special, which was a delicious halibut dish, for $27. It was perfectly cooked, which is a lot for halibut, being so easy to overcook. And they have delicious locally brewed beer at the p2b, from Granville Island Brewing. I had a couple of them. Checkout was simple and fast, and we were able to get out of the parking garage with ease. While staying at the hotel, we could walk to the waterfront (where they just completed a nice promenade to walk on to Stanley Park from Vancouver Place) easily, and walked down Denman Street to English Bay. The weather at the end of March was wonderful for walking, and we had a nice lunch on Robson Street at a great Ramen place, called Hokkaido Ramen. I'll bid on Priceline again for the next trip and hope to get the same hotel again!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hull534
Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

My wife and I needed a hotel in downtown Vancouver for a one night stay prior to an Alaskan cruise. We chose this hotel because of a nice discounted offer. We were shocked when we arrived and saw the room. It felt like being in a matchbox with little room for 2 people to move around. It was sparsely decorated, and the bathroom was a joke. There was not even a hook in the bathroom to hang anything on. The view was of a city building. I went to the front desk, and I requested a different room. I was told there would be no other room available at the price I paid, but I could get another room if I was willing to pay more money. I refused and I decided to tough it out.

When using the bathroom, we found that the sink would not drain. I called the front desk, and they said a plumber would be sent up. After we waited 30 minutes, the plumber arrived, and he worked on the sink. He said he could not fix it completely, but he thought it would now drain better. After he left, we discovered, it continued to drain sluggishly. I went to the front desk to request another room, basing my request on a non-working sink and I was once again told there were no rooms available unless I was willing to pay more! I again refused and decided to just deal with it.

I am amazed at all the good reviews of this hotel. It appears others had a better experience. In my opinion, the room that we stayed in was not a 4 or 5 star room, but more like a 1 or 2 star room at best. We would have done far better to have stayed at a Motel 6, a Comfort Inn, or a Hampton Inn. At least, we would have had more room, a working sink, and a breakfast. Also, it should be noted that for those with a car, the parking fee is $42 per night! In my opinion, the only thing this hotel has going for it is the nice location. I have a feeling that this hotel has a block of less than adequate, lower end rooms reserved for those who take advantage of a special rate, and once they have you in house, they try to get you to pay more for a decent room. I will avoid the Renaissance brand in the future for sure!

3 Thank stuawa
Haddington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

Just back from a trip to Canada, last 3 nights spent at Renaissance Harbourside Vancouver. Over the years we have stayed in different hotels in Vancouver and we would say this is our favourite. The Reception Staff were excellent and upgraded us (for a price) to a great room with a view over the water. We could see seaplanes land and take off and lots of boats. All of the staff were polite and genuinely helpful and made our stay very memorable. The breakfasts were great too, although pricey, but lovely food and smoothies. Pool and gym were nice although an outdoor pool would be better but at least there was an outdoor sun deck.We loved it and hope to return one day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Canadafan2010
Irvine, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

My family stayed at this Renaissance Hotel on 8/12-8/14. The location of the hotel is great! Walking distance to a lot of places.

When we arrived at the hotel and parked our cars on the curbside (loading zone) the attendant (I think they were the bellhop...not sure but he was wearing a tan polo shirt with the hotel logo on it) was quite pushy telling us to go park the car. We were about to unload our luggage. We ignored him, but a few minutes later he again was very pushy about getting our cars out of the curbside telling us we were going to get ticketed. There were 10 of us and my dad had a knee injury so he couldn't be rushed. I didn't know why the guy (he was the older one) was so pushy. Thank goodness the front desk was very pleasant and helpful to make up for the guy outside. The rooms weren't that big. They had Aveda products which was nice. There is a lot of construction going on in downtown Vancouver so the last morning we woke up early to a lot of noise. There are 2 computers in the small lobby, but they are SO slow. We got a great deal on Priceline. I would not stay here for hotel website price. There is a small indoor pool and exercise room.
I would only recommend this hotel if you get a great deal through Priceline or Expedia etc.
I must say Vancouver is one of the cleanest cities I've ever been to!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan_sunnyCa
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

I was traveling for work, and I would not normally have chosen such an expensive hotel. Since my employer was paying and I was in Vancouver for a conference at the Convention Center, this hotel offered the best balance of amenities, location, availability, and cost. The room was spacious and included a mini fridge, which is a big plus for me.

The service was excellent. When I checked in, they greeted me by name (getting it from my luggage as I walked up the stairs to reception.) They checked me in quickly and upgraded me to a room with a view without me even asking. (I loved the view. It really was great. I could see the sea planes and the harbour.) When I bought a box of cereal and milk at a nearby market for dinner, they didn't even blink when I asked for a bowl and spoon and carried them up to my room.

The only thing that wasn't perfectly smooth was the elevator. You need to use your room key to pick your floor in the elevator. If you aren't ready, you may be taking a tour of some other floors. And more bizarrely, sometimes it took you to the wrong floor. To me this seemed like a small quirk for a lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business