“a very pleasant stay”

Ranked #13 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Winnipeg
“a very pleasant stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Sunset Inn is a great place to stay in Vancouver; really friendly staff, comfortable rooms, good amenities, great location, and free parking. My husband and I spent a week there at the end of September and really enjoyed ourselves. It's located in Davie Village, and there's lots to see and do near the hotel. We could see a lot of Davie Village from our window on the tenth floor. Our room had a full kitchen, and there was a Safeway conveniently located a few blocks up Davie. There's no dishwasher in the kitchen, but the cleaning staff will wash dishes for you. The bathroom was small, but the shower was spacious. A cosmetic mirror was included, which was a nice touch, but I had to stand on tiptoe to use it. There were 2 wall AC units, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, which worked well but it was difficult to figure out the remote ... I think the battery was dead in our remote but the AC eventually did what we wanted it to anyway. The bed was very comfortable, and plenty of extra pillows and blankets were provided. The cleaning staff did a good job for the most part, but missed sweeping in the kitchen and there were smudges on the window at eye level that I ended up taking care of myself.

There were two coin-op washers and two dryers down on the main floor, and free laundry detergent ( I think they may have had free dryer sheets as well). Something snagged some of my clothes the last time I did laundry, and a few of my garments were full of holes. I think this may have been because one of the washers had repair work done on it, and something sharp might have been left exposed. I did not report it to management because it was our last day and I was rushed, and nothing too fancy was destroyed, luckily. Hopefully it's been fixed since then (a couple months ago).

On weekdays you can make waffles in the lobby for breakfast, which was nice; otherwise the breakfast they offer isn't terribly good. The English muffins were ok, but the bagels and croissants were pale and wrinkly, and they brought out the same ones day after day. Aside from that there were a few different cereals, coffee and orange juice. We made coffee in our room so I didn't try the coffee in the lobby. There is a coffee machine over by the front door that's available all day, however, and that I did try. I think it was from Van Houtte, and made different espresso drinks as well as brewed coffee. It was pretty good, and inexpensive.

Finally, we really appreciated that the Sunset Inn has free parking, and while it's no problem to get in and out of the upper lot or the spaces in the alley, it was extremely difficult to get in and out of the garage, due to a very narrow, curving driveway. Even in a compact car I had difficulty, and could see plenty of paint scrapes along the concrete wall, so I know I'm not the only one who had trouble. I'm sure it can't be helped; every parking area in Vancouver is tight quarters, it seems. But if you're visiting Vancouver and renting a car, DO NOT get a big one.

A few complaints aside, we really enjoyed our stay, and would definitely book there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happy_Scrappy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
nanaimo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I were extremely happy with our recent stay here. The location is approximately one block off the Main Street. A residential area comprised of apartments and I felt comfortable walking at night in this area. Check in was very quick. We arrived 2 hours early, and not only was our room ready, but they gave us a complimentary upgrade. Our suite was huge, with a full kitchen, living room, dining room and separate bedroom. It was extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean. They also offer free Wi-Fi, light continental breakfast, and newspaper at our door.
There were no negatives with our stay and we would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sunwor
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was very pleased to stay in this hotel.
The welcome from the front desk good God was soooooooooooo friendly.
That lady was so charming.
The rooms were comfortable and clean and there were a few rooms in each floor so it was
more cozy.
The breakfast was poor, but it is better than nothing.
The croissant was nice for me.
The only negative was the bathroom which was a bit small,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sunset Inn and Suites for 4 days, while visiting Vancouver, the hotel is located in an excellent part of the city. It was very easy to get to the hotel using the skytrain from the airport, you're also a couple of blocks from the Seawall walk which connects with Stanley Park. There are many wonderful restaurants in the area, if you want to hop over to Granville Market you're again just a couple of blocks from the aqua bus which is a very quick ride.
The rooms were very clean, with a little kitchen that had everything you needed. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was amazing, I told them it was better than the one I had at home.
The only little thing that gave us a bit of trouble was the fact that the t.v. was a bit complicated, but when we called for help the gentleman from the front desk came right away and was very helpful. Also if you're staying in one of the cheaper rooms you're going to have to face the back of the hotel, I think the bigger rooms face the front (a better view), but that's o.k. we enjoyed ourselves there just the same.
One more thing worth mentioning, we had rented a car for the last couple of days and really appreciated the free underground parking and mostly when we checked out on our final day they were kind enough to allow us to park our car on the property until our late night flight. That was a
tremendous convenience since parking can be difficult and expensive in Vancouver.
So all in all I would definately stay there again, and would definately recommend Sunset Inn and Suites to our friends.

Room Tip: Cheaper rooms face the back alley, and are from floors 2-6, so choose higher if you can.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karen g
spruce grove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Just returned from a three day stay at the Sunset Inn & Suites. The friendliest and most helpful staff ever. A huge thank you to David & Arabella especially, but all staff was super friendly and helpful. A very comfy and clean suite for a very good price. Great location within walking distance to many attractions. Will definitely stay here again if visiting Vancouver.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sprucegrovetraveler
Creston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I hesitate to say that they are the Best Hotel in Vancouver because it might make it difficult for us to get a reservation the next time we are in Vancouver, but it truly is a really wonderful hotel. From the location, to the staff, to the most comfortable beds it was all really great and felt like our home away from home.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank FruitLoops42
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We made our sort-of-annual-trip to Vancouver & again stayed in a suite here for 5 nights. If you're looking for super modern or super hip, this is not for you. If you're looking for a comfortable and clean suite for a reasonable price, with very comfy beds, good WIFI, in a great location, this is for you. Walking distance to Robson Street, Denman Street, Yaletown, and if you're up for it, even Stanley Park. Friendly and helpful staff. Good-sized fridge. Microwave, range, and reasonably well equipped kitchen. We'll stay here again for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple