“Excellent service, fun staff and a great location”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent service, fun staff and a great location”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I travel a lot for work and stay in many hotels from big chains to the small... but this is the first time I have stayed at the Sylvia Hotel and let me say that it was a great change from the regular hotels.

From the front desk to housekeeping to the restaurant staff, everyone made my stay very comfortable and enjoyable. The front desk staff made me feel at home and was very helpful if I ever needed anything. I went for a meal in the lounge and I was pleased to see they had live jazz that night, the place was packed but I found a stool at the bar but wish I arrived earler to get a better seat as it seems that everyone was enjoying the show. The lounge staff was friendly and fun, my beef dip was delicious, which was recommended by my server.

My room was clean, big and my bed was comfy and I loved my view of the city, mountains and water. Best of all you walk out of the Sylvia Hotel and you are right in English Bay and Sunset Beach. You can walk the seawall to Stanley Park or Granville Island, its minutes to greats shops and resaurants or stroll down to Robson St. or Downtown.

A great stay at a beautiful historic hotel, I will visit again.

Room Tip: go for the beach view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Well it looks like we have converted another new guest to the great service and location of the Sylvia Hotel. Jazz night (Thursdays from October thru May) draw a great crowd and offer really good music to compliment the food in the lounge. I am so happy when guests write about their stay after their first time with us. This guest is a seasoned traveler and I know that they will return. Thank-you for all your kind words and we will look forward to serving you again on your next visit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We received great service from the Sylvia Hotel. We had an event planned to take place at the Sylvia, but unfortunately had to change plans at the last minute due to a death in the family. The staff and management were understanding and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Thank-you for your comments, we were sorry to hear about the reason you requested a cancellation of your event however we understand. I am happy that we were able to assist you in your time of need. Our Guests are like family and we were saddened by your loss. Thank-you for considering the Sylvia for your event and will be happy to help you in the future.
Seattle
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I will not stay at the Sylvia Hotel again, even though it’s been my hotel of choice in Vancouver for many years. The reason is that when I arrived for a stay I had booked three months in advance, the reception desk said they had no record of my request. And I had forgotten to bring my reservation confirmation number. They also had no reservation under my name because someone there had misspelled my name, even though they had it correctly on my credit card. Upon arrival I was told that room I had booked was not available but other accommodation could be found, of course at a much higher price. Because I’ve only ever stayed at the Syliva, I agreed to the change and ended up paying double.

However, several weeks later I found their electronic confirmation of the date of my original reservation and noticed for the first time that my last name was misspelled (one letter wrong). I called the manager and explained that I had their communication confirming the date I had originally requested. Of course I felt some refund was due because of their errors. But, no, she said. It was entirely my fault for not remembering to bring the confirmation number. It was nothing to do with them. And I should have informed them at once of the misspelling. Everything that had gone wrong was my fault – not theirs.

I received no apology and was interrupted every time I tried to make a point. I am very disappointed that a repeat client could be treated in such a manner and as a result of the lack of simple courtesy I will not return. Surely there are hotels in Vancouver where clients are treated with respect and not so summarily dismissed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank DianeSSeattle
We are sorry to hear that you will not return to the Sylvia after so many years of great service that you have received over the years. As I stated in my reply to you that we did make a mistake on your reservation which I apologized for and we were able to get you a room which we offered at a discount. Your statement about paying double is not correct and unfair for you say untruths because you were not offered a complimentary stay because of an honest mistake. Like all hotels we always send a confirmation letter with every reservation for you to look over and ensure that all the information was correct, if you would have reviewed this information 3 months ago when it was sent this mistake would have been caught in advance and corrected long before you arrived. I ask all travelers to review their confirmation letters for accuracy so that no mistakes are made. You are welcome to come back and we would be happy to continue the great service you have experienced in the past. Should you want to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me again
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Although no longer the top place in town the hotel has a historic charm. Our room was large and comfortable but lacked modern conveniences such as a coffee maker and air con. However the location is great if you want to explore Stanley Park and English Bay but a little further out from the attractions of Gas town and Downtown. We enjoyed this more peaceful location. The hotel bar has great views and good prices for a city location.

• Stayed September 2011
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Like many others have commented, our location is great if you want to be near the beach, Stanley Park and close to downtown. We have so many room types to meet everyone’s needs. Thank-you for seeing the value we offer and letting others know about your experience.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Second time I've stayed at the Sylvia, grew up in Vancouver and the Sylvia has always had a special place in my heart..coming back as an adult I decided to stay with 2 other girlfriends for 4 nights.
Comfortable spacious room, fantastic location across from English Bay.
Staff very friendly and helpful...Good choice of tasty breakfasts.
Appreciated the use of the free computer in the lobby.
The only criticism (if you could call it one) we wished tea and coffee facility was in our room..got to have that coffee first thing!!

Room Tip: Corner suite was very spacious
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Thank-you for the positive review, breakfast is always a busy time at the Sylvia for locals as well as hotel guests. We provide coffee in the lobby before the restaurant opens as a convenience to our guests and after the restaurant opens we also offer room service to get coffee up to your room for the first cup of the day. Thank-you for returning after so many years and hope that it is not long before we see you again.
California
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Oh, yeah! Our room was small, upgraded bathroom, no coffeemaker, frig, etc which is a fine trade for price. Comfortable 'living room-type' lobby with free computer use (we didn't use free wifi), very helpful front desk staff, and bar/restaurant overlooking English Bay were all great. The location, two short blocks from intersection of Denman and Davie (two main streets in West End, with easy public transit), a Hop-on/Hop-off trolley stop across the street, and right next to Stanley Park made our 4-day stay very enjoyable! Walkable to dozens of restaurants and the ferry to Granville Island. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank-you for your comments about the service, I will pass along your comments to my crew, they enjoy hearing what our guests are saying about their work. I agree with you that the location is first rate and comforts of the hotel are like home. You said that you will be back and we will be ready to welcome you back
Westbank, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Beautiful location,, The hotel front desk was very accommodating. I loved the antique structure amazed by the creative artistic displays .i took lots of photos for sure . The packed deal at this time of year blew me away for the amount of luxury's that was provided while i stayed at the Sylvia Hotel . I was intrigued by all the ivy. Loved the breakfast overlooking the ocean. all meal prices were affordable and classy and delicious. I really enjoyed the down time in the evening, while in the pub listening to live jazz while sitting by the fireplace sipping on tea .The hotel rooms were clean comfortable lots of pillows slept like a queen overlooking the boat house and all the busy people passing by on the street below . A must see and experience. looking forward to staying for Sylvia s 100 birthday . I heard through the grape vine a new promotion and experience per month for the whole year.

Room Tip: Just staying at the Sylvia Hotel was like taking in a part of heritage, this is not just like any o...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicole H
Thank-you for your high scores, I am always so happy to hear that my Guests enjoy their stay. I like the fact that you had the time to enjoy the food and Beverage areas of the hotel, the views are great and the live entertainment on Thursdays draw a great crowd. I hope to see you again soon on your return visit.