Sylvia Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Burrard(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$261
Fairmont Pacific Rim(Vancouver)
US$427
Hotels.com
US$365
US$327
  • Restaurant
Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$279
Fairmont Waterfront(Vancouver)
US$595
US$559
US$340
US$315
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Blue Horizon Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$278
US$589
US$502
Orbitz.com
1,568 results
All reviewsstanley parkoverlooking english bayhistoric hoteldenman streetwest endthere is no air conditioningsea wallgranville islandan older hotelcan't beat the locationamazing locationlots of restaurantscorner roomvisit vancouverfew blocksloungeseawall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Hotel dates back to an apartment block of the early 1900s and has an old-fashioned feel, but not in a bad way. Our room, facing towards the sea, was decidedly chilly on arrival as the windows had been left open to air out the room, but the room was very spacious with good facilities. Details such as light fixtures need attention as the hotel's refurbishment continues, but the hotel is a good choice for a short, economical stay in Vancouver -- close to downtown, and at the beginning of a glorious walk (on a fine day) around Stanley Park. Good breakfast in attached restaurant, but real maple syrup a necessity -- not available, but should be, even if at a slight additional cost!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NPassant
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

I am sorry to hear that your room was chilly when you arrived; my guess is that the maid was airing out the room and did not close the window; I will forward your comments to the housekeeping department as a reminder. I agree with you about our great breakfasts, they are served quickly and hot, I will forward your comments about the syrup to the Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. Thank-you for the recommendation.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I last stayed at the Sylvia prior to May 2011 about 46 years ago with my parents. That time My cousin and myself playing in the elavator caused it to shut down and we had to be helped out of elevator by the poor staff. My parents were so embarrased.However coming back as a almost senior citizen I enjoyed the hotel and staff immencely.It was the highlight of our trip. The location can not be beat. The view from the restaurant looks like you are in Nice. A wonderful stay. Hope to be there in April 2012. Thanks Peter Mautner

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter M

I wanted to inform you that we have forgiven you for the elevator problem you caused 46 years ago, no need to stay away for so long. The fact that you said that the Sylvia stay was the "HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR TRIP" was great to read. We are looking forward to your next trip in April; we will welcome you back with open arms. Drop by the desk and ask for me if you have some time. Thank-you

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed at the Sylvia Hotel for a 4 night get-away with friends. We had a suite with access to an adjoining bedroom and bathroom, which was absolutely perfect for 2 couples. The view of English Bay and location can't be beat. We enjoyed the many restaurants in the area and access to the sea wall and walking the beach. It has the feel of a more residential neighbourhood than being downtown in a big city, yet is close to everything you could want. The restaurant is quaint and affordable with amazing views of the ocean. Loved it and will definitely be back. Staff were very accommodating and friendly. It is not a modern hotel and if you look closely you can see signs of its age. The elevator is small and slow, but the history and mood of the hotel far outweighs these small inconveniences. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway for couples and friends.

Room Tip: Definitely try for a room with a view of English Bay.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank thetravelbug49

The rooms to stayed in are great for couples and larger families, those types are limited and for extended stays need to be booked well in advance to make sure that they are available, Like other have said on this site the location is perfect (the best in Vancouver in my opinion. The views from the restaurant at night are amazing all year long. Watching the sunsets in the lounge is a favorite pass time of the locals. Thank-you for highly recommending the Sylvia Hotel.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

The Sylvia Hotel dates back to at least 1913 and not allot of changes have taken place to destroy the original charm of this hotel. It is situated on the corner of Gilford and Beach and right across the street from English Bay. If you are looking for ultra modern do not go to the Sylvia but if you want the experience of feeling like you have stepped back into the past, a quieter and little more classic time, then head for the Sylvia. We have stayed here a number of times and while we enjoy it every time...we always ask for beach view. our favorite stay was one night of the Symphony of Fire. This is an international competition of fireworks display over English Bay and with a beach front view one can enjoy the show from your room! The lobby and staff are all cheerful and helpful. I love this place! And so does my husband.

Room Tip: BE sure to take advantage of the views of English bay.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Honeymoonjunkie
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Thank-you for your comments about the Sylvia Hotel, I could not have said it better myself. The word classic is often used to describe us. I enjoyed your comment that "my husband likes the hotel too". I hope that he is not hard to please. Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have stayed here 5 or 6 times over the past 5 years. You simply cannot beat the location and charm of this hotel. The staff are exceptionally helpful and genuinely friendly. The Sylvia is my first choice whenever I go to Vancouver, and its location is probably my favorite place in Canada. I feel like I'm at home at the Sylvia.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevator and/or in a corner of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Basil S

Great comments "You simply cannot beat the location and charm of this hotel. The staff is exceptionally helpful and genuinely friendly. The Sylvia is my first choice whenever I go to Vancouver, Almost sounds like I wrote it myself. Being the General Manager of this hotel is such a pleasure and when I get comments about the service and my staff it makes all the extra hours and hard work all worth while. I will pass along your comments to the crew. However my favorite comment is "I feel like I am at home at the Sylvia" WE WORK HARD TO MAKE EVERY GUESTS FEEL THAT WAY. Thank-you