“Ivy league”

Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Ivy league”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The Sylvia Hotel was built in 1912 and converted to a hotel in the 30s. It has plenty of character, from the wild grape vines climbing its walls to the medieval crest and stained glass windows in the lobby. You get a real key, not one of those cards with a magnetic strip that are always getting demagnatized. The rooms are well appointed and charming ... you can imagine you are in 1962 as easily as 2012. There is free wireless and a hotel restaurant and lounge (which has live music on the weekends). Some of the amenities of big modern hotels are missing (no pool, no gym, no coffee maker in the room, etc.) - but it is much less expensive than the big downtown hotels. Also, the Sylvia overlooks English Bay and is a couple of blocks from Stanley Park, probably the nicest spot in the city. The wait staff and desk staff are wonderful. We really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: For coffee in the morning, try Delany's, a couple of blocks away at Denham & Pendrell.
1 Thank jdvanvalin
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Thank-you for your comments, a very well written review, you must be an experienced traveler. I feel that we do offer a different experience than the other larger chain or big box hotels and I think we have a much better location. I will post your comments in the lunch room as you mentioned the wonderful service you received by the wait staff and front desk. So happy you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The setting is incredible, the lounge is great and the room destroyed it. It was dirty, old and worn out. The bed was tremendous. Walking in the area was great. Lots of restaurants, bars and scenery. Went to the Neil Diamond concert which was wonderfull then walked the streetsaround English Bay.

1 Thank dcmcm
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
You are correct; the settling is incredible, I would like to ask you to call me directly to review the rest of your comments. Old, yes we are 100 years old next year, in fact the oldest hotel in Vancouver. Tired and Dirty? Please call me to explain, we pride ourselves in the cleanliness and service which other travelers’ have commented on in all the other reviews. So I am concerned that you see something that all the other guests did not and I would like to follow up with you so that I can correct something if required. I am sorry that you did not appreciate the heritage and decor of our hotel but I hope that you enjoyed the Neil Diamond concert. So please call me as comments like yours concern me greatly.
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2012

What a delightful four nights we spent at the Sylvia Hotel to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Our newly refurbished room was lovely with an exceptionally comfortable king bed. Our two cats who accompanied us were warmly greeted by the staff. They loved the fresh air and view of English Bay. They even did a short leash walk on the outside sidewalk. We loved the "Mister Got To Go". books and bought a set for our grandchildren. On further reflection, I decided that I was the one who had the wonderful childhood memories of "Dining in the sky at the Sylvia Hotel," Subsequently, I purchased a set of the books for my husband and myself. We were very pleased when the desk clerk added paw print stamps to each book. Truly, "Mr. Got to Go" is a classic. We hope to return next year with our grandchildren in tow. THANK YOU!

Room Tip: The second and eighth floors have the best views.
1 Thank Shari R
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank-you for spending your 20th wedding anniversary with us. We get so many comments about being a pet friendly Hotel (and I may add, the only hotel that does not charge for pets). The Mr. Got To Go books have been a huge success and a favorite of children for years, I can also tell you that a third book is being produced and should be ready for sale by mid 2013. We are hoping that it will be ready for your next visit when you bring the grandchildren.
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We've been visiting the Sylvia Hotel for 30 years, and stay there at least 3 times a year. The hotel is charming, and the staff is always delightful. We've eaten in the restaurant many times and had drinks in the bar and have always had great service and great food. The views are amazing, overlooking English Bay, and you can walk along the beach or right into Stanley Park. The Sylvia is the oldest hotel in Vancouver and the only one on English Bay. It has an amazing history and character, and we feel fortunate to have been able to experience it all these years. Most of the staff has been there for many years and it's refreshing to see the same faces.

For many years, we've brought the whole family to see the Festival of Lights in the summer, and from the rooms on the upper floors you can see the fireworks right from the window. Even without a view room, it's a walk across the street to be on the beach with fireworks going off overhead. Other times, it's just the two of us and we always have a wonderful time.

We just got back from an overnight stay there and I wanted to comment on the exceptional service we received. We got there at noon and checked in, although we didn't expect our room to be ready that early. We left our bags, and went for a bike ride around Stanley Park. When we came back, we checked to see if our room was ready and they said it would be another 30 minutes. Kyle, who had checked our bags, took our bikes and stored them for us. We walked across the street and sat on a parkbench enjoying the beautiful beach. After about 20 minutes, a young man came up from behind us and said, "I'm sorry to interrupt, but your room is ready", and he held out our key. Kyle had come looking for us and had already moved our stored luggage to our room! That was above and beyond.

We'll be back in December for our traditional Christmas visit - looking forward to it!

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the bay it's stunning, but we've appreciated all of the views.
2 Thank shlmenhosh
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
I wanted to thank-you for your commitment and loyalty to the Sylvia Hotel, 30 years and up to 3 times per year we have had the pleasure of serving you. Great comments about the Food and Beverage service and views of the restaurant and lounge, I will post your comments in the staff lunch room for all to see. The Fireworks are a major event in the city on English Bay and you are correct we are the only hotel on the beach and over 400,000 people enjoy the events every late July early August. As the General Manager I am always proud to hear about one of my employees "going up and beyond" as you put it when it comes to customer service. Kyle is a special employee that like all the others takes pride in his work and fully understands customer service which we pride ourselves on. So we will look forward to your return visit in December.
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The room was sparkling clean, quiet and comfortably cool on the warm June days we were there. It is a perfect place to travel with your dog because you can walk your pal on the beach or throughout beautiful Stanley park. Not wanting to take a chance that she would bark or whine in our absence, we kept our dog in the car during our walkabouts in the neighborhood, but she accommodated well because we walked her so often. She got to see and sniff new creatures, too: raccoons and skunks that have made their homes in the park. Sylvia Hotel is close to everything: beach, restaurants (galore), shops (don't miss Ayoub, the Persian shop that sells dried fruit and nuts), buses, pharmacy, even a little movie theater. Some great outdoor art down the street, too (the Chinese metal sculptures I'll call "Laughing Man" were a big hit with kids.) The Vancouver Art Gallery is just a short bus ride away and the friendly hotel staff helped us navigate the Sky Train and the drive to other sights. Great family restaurant at the Hotel, too. The Sylvia has an extensive and well deserved reputation; whenever I tell someone where we stayed they say "Oh I love the Sylvia!"

Room Tip: Our room didn't have much of a view (2nd floor overlooking garage, room 219), but that wasn'...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allegra B
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
What a wonderful review. I was happy to read that you see the value in being a pet friendly hotel and how clean the rooms are. Our housekeeping team takes great pride in exceeding the Guests expectation. You are also correct, restaurants, shopping and everything you may want on a visit to Vancouver is right outside our door or with-in a short bus ride. Thank-you for continuing our great reputation with your comments and rating. Hope to see you and your pet on your return visit to Vancouver.
Port Moody, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stay at the Sylvia for week-end get aways or when there are entertainment events in town. The hotels atmosphere is one of warmth and welcome, including all staff. There are no flashy pretences, only good old service and friendly smiles. If you like the feeling of comfort, like your favorate leather chair then you will enjoy your stay at the Sylvia.

rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I Hear a lot of our Guests do the same thing as you, be a tourist in your own town, stay the weekend and enjoy Vancouver. We take allot of pride in the service we offer and my staff is committed to making every guest experience a positive one. I have read many comments that our Guests make that the Sylvia Hotel is like going to your favorite Aunts house or Granma’s place, I like yours" like your favorite leather chair". Thank-you so much for you comments and hopes you will join us again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I think the Sylvia hotel is a charming hotel. I have been to Vancouver on four separate occasions and have been trying to get in to the Sylvia Hotel for the past three- so it was third time lucky. Although it is an older hotel the room was very nice. Yes the bathroom is small and the water pressure slower but I think that's what you get with an older hotel. You also get charm and character not to mention a wonderful location in a very safe, interesting area. Having a glass of wine or a meal in the restaurant as you look over the water at the sunset is also a lovely way to finish your day. I found the free wireless Internet to be readily available where ever I was I'm the hotel. There were no issues with it dropping out.
Service was friendly and I would certainly return again. A fan in the room would be a nice addition but I was thoroughly satisfied.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lisa43
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I am so happy that you were able to stay with us this year after three years of trying to get a room. In the summer months we run full and I know it can be a challenge to get a reservation if you do not book far enough in advance. I agree the views of English Bay from the Restaurant and Lounge to watch the sun set are great. Hope you book early next year to insure that you get a room and we can serve you again.