“Favorite hotel of our trip”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Northampton, MA
“Favorite hotel of our trip”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

As others have said, Sylvia is a grande damme, but she's still got IT. Our room was comfortable, of a peculiar shape (because we were on a corner?), but just fine. I think there are a wide range of prices and sizes.

Staff were wonderful. Dogs are welcomed. Guests were from all over the world.

You can't beat the location, so close to Stanley Park and across the street from English Bay.

Free internet not available in our room, but the common area always had a seat when I needed it.

Caveats:
There is no self-service laundry anywhere in the neighborhood. The hotel sent laundry out for us. Ten pounds cost us $26.
If you go early to bed, the street noise and beach noise (applause at sunset!) may make it hard to sleep.

Restaurant is very good, and not expensive for a big city hotel. Service excellent. And you can't beat the view. We ate several meals there during our stay. Pretty interesting selection of Canadian wines and others.

This is now OUR hotel in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Some smoking outside the restaurant, so pick an upper room if you open windows. Best views from the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrewsMom
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
I love your heading "Favorite Hotel on our trip" thank-you for such high praise. Yes we are unique, a wide range of room sizes, shapes and rates. The wireless internet was upgraded last week to ensure all rooms have good connectivity. Plus we always have the lobby computer for guests to use free of charge. The restaurant staff will appreciate your comments about their service and quality. I was happy to see that you adopted the Sylvia as " our hotel in Vancouver", looking forward to serving you again in the future, I will keep "your new hotel" in Vancouver running well until you return, we look forward it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 August 2012 via mobile

The Sylvia is an elderly grand damme of Vancouver hotels. Like many dowagers shes showing her age but she still has a lot if class and a lot of charm. Her location on the edge of Stanely park is second to none and her staff are courteous helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank-you for your short and concise comments about our Hotel. Great location is a common theme. You hit on what other guests want to know, the Sylvia Hotel having great courteous, helpful and friendly staff. Enough said, thanks, hope to see you again soon.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Thanks to food poisoning at a local restaurant my girlfriend and myself have had a lot of time to spend here. It is a historic hotel - so if your looking for new age features look else wards. But, if you love charm, history and an unbeatable location you have struck gold with the Sylvia! Its right on English Bay and steps from Stanley Park. For our first time in Vancouver we could not have fond a better location! The service here is fabulous as well!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
I am sorry to hear that you got sick at on of the local restaurants but very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will post your comments for my crew to read as I like to let them know when all their hard work and commitment to service is recognized by our guests. Please come back and stay with us again.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Yes the Sylvia is an older hotel - celebrating its 100th birthday this year - but any inconvience is more than made up with the character, the location and the excellent and helpful staff. I love staying there and this year enjoyed the Fireworks!! biking around Stanley Park, 2nd beach pool and some excellent breakfasts looking out over English Bay. What could be better.

My room was a corner room so had 2 windows which gave me a bit of a breeze. The hotel doesn't have air conditioning but then Vancouver seldom needs it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Thank-you for your comments about your stay with us. The fireworks are right across the street and our location is perfect for viewing, glad to see you enjoyed them, 400,000 people watch them each night in mid summer and are not to be missed while in Vancouver during those nights. You are correct, we do rely on the breeze from English Bay to cool down the hotel in summer which our guests prefer to the forced air from an air conditioner; we do only get 4-5 days a year in Vancouver that the temperature gets high enough to warrant air conditioning. Hope you join us again soon
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The location is incredible - across the street from English Bay. The hotel itself is worn down and old. Even though Vancouver has very mild weather, air conditioning can still be needed in the warm parts of summer. Sleeping with the windows open and the noise from the street is not a viable option. They should tell you that this moderate - high priced hotel has no A/C. However, the staff was excellent.

Room Tip: Try to get a bay-side room. Maybe they have better air circulation to make up for the lack of air c...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Location, location, we here this a lot because it is true, our guests love the location for so many reasons. I also hear about the excellent service my crew offer, thank-you for mentioning it as well. I will post your comments in the lunch room for my crew to see as they appreciate seeing what our guests have to say. Hope we see you again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed at the Sylvia for a night in June and another in July, both times at the back of the hotel, 2nd floor - much quieter than my room last year, which was over the side entrance and shared two (thin) walls with other rooms. The first room, on a back corner, even had windows in the washroom as well as two in the bedroom. Service as usual was friendly and efficient. Only disappointment was the breakfast, with what tasted like the last night's potatoes reheated and mixed with some fresh ones, all undercooked.

Room Tip: sacrifice the view at the front for the peace at the back
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Happy to see that you stayed with us twice this summer. Welcome back, I will be posting you comments in the lunch room for the staff to read. I will also be forwarding your comments about the breakfast potatoes to the Food and Beverage Manager and Chef to review. Thanks for posting your comments on trip advisor. Hope to see you again next summer or before if you will be in Vancouver
Halifax
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The website offered a different rate than I was quoted over email but when I inquired about the discrepancy, the hotel agreed to give me the advertised price.

Accommodations in Vancouver are expensive. The Sylvia Hotel is pricey compared to many other hotels in which I have stayed, but very reasonably priced compared to other Vancouver hotels. If I were to compare it for value with places I've stayed in other cities for the same or lesser cost, I might feel a bit cheated. But within the context of other places I might have stayed in Vancouver, the Sylvia was good value for the money.

The room was small and tight but very clean. I'm not sure I'd want to spend an extended amount of time there, especially in hot weather. But for 4 nights at the start of July, it was perfect. There are plenty of flat surfaces on which to place things, and there is a nice-size closet and a couple of chest-of-drawers in the small-Queen in which we stayed.

The location was outstanding, right on English Bay with walking access to Stanley park and the shared-use trails that ring it. There are bicycle hires nearby and easy access to public transportation. The taxi from the airport was a bit pricey at ~$70CDN but the hotel was so well situated that we didn't need to spend any other money on transportation, as we like to walk and could get everywhere that we wanted to go within the city.

The staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again at the Sylvia.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank-you for sharing your thoughts on the value you received during your stay with us. Vancouver can be pricy, however on par with other major cities. We strive to be competitive and offer value to all Guests. Please enquire about room with more space if that is important to you as we are a very unique property with many different room sizes and layouts. Location in my opinion can not be matched in the city. In regards to the taxi fare from the airport, we use yellow taxi and the average fair from the airport is $40-$45.00 and they offer good service. In closing, thank-you for mentioning the great service of my crew, they work very hard and are very proud of the service they offer.