“Great for families and in a beautiful location”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Great for families and in a beautiful location”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We recently stayed at the Sylvia Hotel for two nights with two children ages 3 and 11. We have 5 children and have travelled various places so are always looking for good places that accommodate children. As stated before our main concerns are usually value for money, cleanliness and service.

Hotel is in a great spot. Right across the street from English Bay on a nice sandy beach. Perfect for kids (and anyone!). I love that it is in a neighborhood so you feel as though you are really living in Vancouver not just visiting. It is so close to Stanley Park and you could easily walk up there to hang out and go to playground or in summer hit the outdoor pool at second beach. To go to the Aquarium you may want to drive (5 mins) as it would be a bit of walk depending on age of children etc. Aquarium is great for all ages. We have been lots and love it every time.

Parking at hotel was cheaper by around 10$ from other Vancouver hotels we have stayed at. $15 versus $25-35. Service at hotel was friendly and casual. Not the super efficient and polite I have seen from other "higher end" hotels but no issues. We were early checking in (by three hours) and they had no issues and got us into a room right away.

One thing I can definitely say is the hotels rooms were very clean. Who doesn't want a really clean hotel room?! We stayed in a two room so my 11 year old had her own little room which she loved and we had the bigger room with two beds with our three year old. I love the high ceilings, the old time feel of the room and hotel in general. Another bonus is that I feel you wouldn't have to worry about being stuck next to some people partying waking up you (or your children) as this hotel does not attract that kind of clientele. It seems to be older middle class people and families. In turn I don't think you have to worry about waking anyone up as the hotel is very solid and we did not hear anyone. I didn't worry about my three year old's running feet as I might have in other hotels.

We ate twice in the restaurant. Food was tasty, service was ok, portions were small in some items. We had food vouchers with our groupon so we ate breakfast there one day. Food good but small portions and my plate was lukewarm. We ate dinner the next and again it was good but portions were small. My husband's steak came with 4 asparagus and one scoop of potatoes. We mostly ate there for the convenience as everyone was tired. In Vancouver there are so many places to eat that one could find anything they wanted within the area. The view from the restaurant and lounge is so pretty and it would be a great place to have some drinks and look at the water.

Tip: Going there with big family or just yourselves go to Stepho's greek restaurant. It is about a 10 minute walk. Awesome food, cheap prices(appies are 5-8$ for all kinds of stuff, main meals are 10-12$) and huge portions. We were there at 5 to eat and it was already packed. It stayed that way the whole time we were there but no one seemed to wait long.

CONS overall restaurant was slightly disappointing, hallways look run down and detract from this beautiful hotel. Rooms weren't like this so not sure if they are planning on fixing them up. No hotel hot tub or pool (which we knew but sometimes it is nice when you have kids).

Other than that I have no bad things to say!! We will definitely stay here again. We would love to come over in the summer when the beach is nice and warm and Stanley park so close. The hotel has so much neat history and when you stay you feel like you are part of it!

Cheers

ps-Make sure to ask about the children's books about the cat that lives at the Sylvia Hotel for a fun bed time read for little ones!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TadandC
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Thank-you for your comments, you should be a travel writer. I really enjoyed your comments and I know that future guests will see value in what you have to say. Our parking rates are the lowest in the area. I was happy to read that you went out and explored the area, restaurants and attractions are all so close and most are free or a small charge. We are looking forward to your next visit to Vancouver; hope to see you and your family again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Abbotsford
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed at the Sylvia for an anniversary weekend. It was just the getaway we wanted. The weather was cold and wet most of the weekend, which was fine because the hotel was a comfortable and homey place to stay, with a restaurant overlooking English Bay, a cozy bar where they were serving lovely Christmas drinks, and any other kind of restaurant we might have wanted within a few minutes walking time away on Denman Street. It was also convenient to park the car there and catch a nearby bus to go to other parts of downtown (rather than having to deal with traffic and parking). The building is about a hundred years old so obviously shows its age in some ways, but the updates have made it very clean, comfortable and convenient. The old photos and historical explanations really add to the sense of place. Come for the view; stay for the charm!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Thank-you for joining us over the holiday season, you are correct, we do have lots of restaurants near by and we are close to downtown if you have shopping to do. The view of English Bay is a favorite of our guests, I will post you review as it is well written and I love the tag line- "COME FOR THE VIEW AND STAY FOR THE CHARM" Really hope to see you again soon
Port Hadlock, WA
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed four nights over Christmas and had a home away from home at the Sylvia. It is perfect! Clean rooms, small well-equipped kitchen, amazing views, beach across the street for dog play. This hotel is in a high class zip code but is homey and a wonderful home base in this great city. Walks in Stanley Park, False Creek ferries to Granville Island for grocery shopping. Really, I cannot think of one downside. The grand lady Sylvia is 100 years old and shows her age with grace and style. Thank you to her caretakers, the family of staff who are wonderful hosts.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank-you for joining us over the Christmas season, we work very hard to keep the hotel feel like home. I appreciate that you noticed. On behalf of my team and the Owners, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and you are welcome back anytime. Hope to see you again next year.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 December 2012

If you want to see the real Vancouver then use The Sylvia as your base. You are right on English Bay (you really are honestly), can walk into Stanley Park (literally a block or two up the road), or saunter up Denman or Cambie Streets which have bags of restaurants, coffee shops or liquor and grocery stores.

The hotel has lots of character, the rooms are clean and quiet - our room had an incredible view right out onto English Bay (527) and was a corner room so very bright. There is a restaurant that looks out right onto English Bay which has good reviews. We ordered breakfast to our room and found it to be good and delivered swiftly.

We brought our small dog with us and were not charged extra - all rooms are pet friendly but you wouldn't notice as they are unblemished and it appears that the owners (we saw a few) are responsible.

Price was $114 with Travelocity for a Christmas stay.

Room Tip: 527 had a sea view and was a corner room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
I see that you write allot of reviews, I can tell by how well written your review and how well you list the things that other guests want to know. Thanks for mention that the rooms are clean and quiet, the restaurant food is good and the service is good as well. Plus I always like to read when reviews mention the friendly staff; they all work so hard to give great service. We are a pet friendly hotel (I think the only hotel in Vancouver that does not charge extra for pets). THANK-YOU again for the great scores and comments and hope to see you again soon.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Had a workshop to attend at the Sylvia so decided to book myself in there also. Stayed 2 nights; Sat & Sun. Found the room to have a nice view and very, very clean. I was in one of the older rooms and found the bathroom to be a bit cramped but otherwise it was just fine. The staff were quite friendly, helpful and accomodating. Had all meals in the restaurant or room service and I will say that room service was fast and the food was delivered hot. Nice food... Soups were fresh, homemade and delicious. The lounge on Saturday night was busy and has a cozy atmosphere. The location is great and I would stay here again. Watching traffic stop to let the geese cross the street was a charming site with my morning breakfast in the restaurant. Good value for the money. The staff couldn't help you enough. This is a pet friendly hotel and it was nice to see people coming and going with their pets.

Room Tip: Ask if you will have a room in the old part or the new.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Josephine G
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Thank-you for your good scores and comments about your stay. So happy that you decided to stay with us while at your work shop. Looks like you enjoyed your stay and the service provided by my crew. Being pet friendly is very popular with families that like to travel with their pets. My housekeepers will be happy to read that you noticed their efforts to keep our rooms spotless and I will pass along your comments to the chef and kitchen crew how much you enjoyed the soup and room service. I hope to see you and your pet on your next visit.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2012

The Sylvia Hotel is always our first choice when staying in Vancouver - even when we don't have our dog with us! It reminds me of the English country hotels of my childhood, a relaxed but efficient and totally friendly atmosphere, always a comfortable room with all facilities, excellent food and a situation it would be hard to match anywhere, close to the beach, to Stanley Park and to the West End with its restaurants and shops.
I know many other people who will never choose anywhere else when visiting Vancouver.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Robin C
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Thank-you for staying with us again, welcome back. We try very hard every day to exceed our guest’s expectations. The location helps as the park and beach are so close and as you mentioned good for people travelling with their pets. We hope to see you again soon
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I have stayed at the Sylvia Hotel numerous times now. What it lacks in amenities, it makes up for in terms of friendly service and an incredible location. This is an older apartment style hotel that still contains many of it's quirky charms of yesteryear. Situated near the corner of Denman and Davie St, and right across the road from English Bay this hotel is in a prime location. Quick access to the hustle and bustle of the city and great places to eat, and right on the walking/cycling paths that lead to the sea-wall and Stanley Park. It's also dog-friendly which is a great bonus! I can't imagina wanting to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank-you for your great review. I know how much pet lovers like our location for the easy access to Stanley Park and the beach. Plus we do not charge extra for pets. Our location is often mentioned by other guests and they like the fact that we are in a residential area and close enough to the downtown core if needed. Hope to see you back again this time with your dog.