“Very homey”

Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Rosedale BC Canada
“Very homey”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The Sylvia was recommended by family who stay there often. As other reviewers have mentioned, I was surprised that the hallways had not seemed to be upgraded but the room was comfortable with a great bed and lots of windows looking out on to English Bay. Breakfast was good and the restaurant has a terrific view.
I think the Sylvia's strong points are its location and homey atmosphere. Walking through the lobby and overhearing other guests' conversation, it was evident that the Sylvia has many repeat visitors. We would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Thank-you for staying with us, yes we do have many repeat customers that are almost like family they stay so often, please thank the family members that recommended us. The hallways are in need of some upgrading as they are still the same since 1913, that was a part of the charm, however we feel that it is time to upgrade them and we hope do that some time this year. Happy that you enjoyed the service and view. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again for your comments and rating

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Langley
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We bought a Groupon for use in the Winter for the Sylvia. We actually live in Langley (approximately 1 hour outside of Vancouver) and hoped to use our Groupon for the Sylvia for a quiet, kid-free night downtown.
We did our research and read the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking and were sadly disappointed when we arrived at the hotel. We knew the hotel was an old building so we had reasonable expectations. The location of the hotel is right on the water at English Bay and is likely quite wonderful in the summer months, but less so in the winter. Due to rain, we had to drive to Robson Street to do our shopping. This forced us to pay for parking not only at the hotel ($15), but also meter parking ($6/hr) while we shopped.

To be honest, when we entered our room we were not impressed. We agree, the hotel rooms are very clean as mentioned by other reviewers. We cannot complain about the cleanliness. The hotel hallways, however, are extremely old and unattractive and in desperate need of updating and repair. Our room did not have a view of the bay. It was simple and plain. It did have a flat screen tv. The bathroom was a decent size, but the toilet in it was directly beside the door in a tiny, dark alcove which left privacy much to be desired. The room was on the small side. It did not have a mini fridge or even drinking glasses in it. Within the first 5 minutes both my husband and I were attempting to book a different hotel using our cell phones. We decided to stay put and make the most our night downtown. After all, the hotel room was only going to be a place to rest our heads that night.

After returning from dinner and a movie, we went to bed and we felt the room got stuffy within 30 minutes and there was no air circulation or AC to control the room temperature. We attempted to go to sleep but were interrupted at 3:00 am by our neighboring room when they got in for the night. They were simply talking at a reasonable level and we could hear their ENTIRE conversation!! It was like we were sharing the same room! The walls must be paper thin in this hotel! You can hear people in neighboring rooms use the bathroom! After an hour of listening to our neighbors talking, my husband and I finally gave up and packed our stuff to drive home at 4:00 am! We didn't feel we could complain about people simply talking in their room. The hotel should be insulated enough to provide more privacy than that!

The staff was understanding enough and kind. They refunded our parking but did not refund our unused $20 food voucher that was part of the Groupon. The fellow at the front desk told us we could move rooms if we liked, but we were already packed up and would rather sleep soundly in our own home.

As I reread the other reviews I am surprised by many of them. We felt we did lots of research before buying this hotel Groupon and we were really surprised and disappointed by the building quality and the room. We are locals and know the area and we think out of town guests deserve a fair, up-to-date and realistic review. This hotel does NOT deserve 4 or 5 stars! I have never written a review on a hotel before, but felt compelled to do so this time. Buyer beware!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingMommy5
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank-you for your comments about your stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Thank-you for mentioning the good service and friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. I am sorry that you felt that the walls were thin and you could hear the people next door at night. I do not get this complaint from other guests however I will look into your concern about the room you booked to see if any changes are needed. Being 100 years old the hotel does not appeal all guests, however if you read the other reviews you will see that we more than satisfy most Guests that stay with us. Sorry you will not be back.
Seattle, WA USA
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I have nothing but positive things to stay about this hotel. It is an older hotel, but extremely clean with fantastic staff!
The location is absolutely perfect, allowing easy access to downtown by foot and also a short walk to Stanley Park. We parked the car and never moved it until we left!
We had a room with a view of English Bay and got to witness the Polar Bear plunge which many were participating in on Ney Year's Day.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Thank-you for your kind words, Happy to see that you booked a room with a view and got to enjoy the people going for a dunk in English Bay for the polar bear swim on New Years day, great event to watch and a good event to participate in if you have warm blood. The location is ideal if you want to see the city by foot or just walk around the area. So happy that you stayed with us and we will look forward to your next visit to Vancouver. See you soon.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We recently stayed at the Sylvia Hotel for two nights with two children ages 3 and 11. We have 5 children and have travelled various places so are always looking for good places that accommodate children. As stated before our main concerns are usually value for money, cleanliness and service.

Hotel is in a great spot. Right across the street from English Bay on a nice sandy beach. Perfect for kids (and anyone!). I love that it is in a neighborhood so you feel as though you are really living in Vancouver not just visiting. It is so close to Stanley Park and you could easily walk up there to hang out and go to playground or in summer hit the outdoor pool at second beach. To go to the Aquarium you may want to drive (5 mins) as it would be a bit of walk depending on age of children etc. Aquarium is great for all ages. We have been lots and love it every time.

Parking at hotel was cheaper by around 10$ from other Vancouver hotels we have stayed at. $15 versus $25-35. Service at hotel was friendly and casual. Not the super efficient and polite I have seen from other "higher end" hotels but no issues. We were early checking in (by three hours) and they had no issues and got us into a room right away.

One thing I can definitely say is the hotels rooms were very clean. Who doesn't want a really clean hotel room?! We stayed in a two room so my 11 year old had her own little room which she loved and we had the bigger room with two beds with our three year old. I love the high ceilings, the old time feel of the room and hotel in general. Another bonus is that I feel you wouldn't have to worry about being stuck next to some people partying waking up you (or your children) as this hotel does not attract that kind of clientele. It seems to be older middle class people and families. In turn I don't think you have to worry about waking anyone up as the hotel is very solid and we did not hear anyone. I didn't worry about my three year old's running feet as I might have in other hotels.

We ate twice in the restaurant. Food was tasty, service was ok, portions were small in some items. We had food vouchers with our groupon so we ate breakfast there one day. Food good but small portions and my plate was lukewarm. We ate dinner the next and again it was good but portions were small. My husband's steak came with 4 asparagus and one scoop of potatoes. We mostly ate there for the convenience as everyone was tired. In Vancouver there are so many places to eat that one could find anything they wanted within the area. The view from the restaurant and lounge is so pretty and it would be a great place to have some drinks and look at the water.

Tip: Going there with big family or just yourselves go to Stepho's greek restaurant. It is about a 10 minute walk. Awesome food, cheap prices(appies are 5-8$ for all kinds of stuff, main meals are 10-12$) and huge portions. We were there at 5 to eat and it was already packed. It stayed that way the whole time we were there but no one seemed to wait long.

CONS overall restaurant was slightly disappointing, hallways look run down and detract from this beautiful hotel. Rooms weren't like this so not sure if they are planning on fixing them up. No hotel hot tub or pool (which we knew but sometimes it is nice when you have kids).

Other than that I have no bad things to say!! We will definitely stay here again. We would love to come over in the summer when the beach is nice and warm and Stanley park so close. The hotel has so much neat history and when you stay you feel like you are part of it!

Cheers

ps-Make sure to ask about the children's books about the cat that lives at the Sylvia Hotel for a fun bed time read for little ones!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TadandC
Thank-you for your comments, you should be a travel writer. I really enjoyed your comments and I know that future guests will see value in what you have to say. Our parking rates are the lowest in the area. I was happy to read that you went out and explored the area, restaurants and attractions are all so close and most are free or a small charge. We are looking forward to your next visit to Vancouver; hope to see you and your family again soon
Abbotsford
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed at the Sylvia for an anniversary weekend. It was just the getaway we wanted. The weather was cold and wet most of the weekend, which was fine because the hotel was a comfortable and homey place to stay, with a restaurant overlooking English Bay, a cozy bar where they were serving lovely Christmas drinks, and any other kind of restaurant we might have wanted within a few minutes walking time away on Denman Street. It was also convenient to park the car there and catch a nearby bus to go to other parts of downtown (rather than having to deal with traffic and parking). The building is about a hundred years old so obviously shows its age in some ways, but the updates have made it very clean, comfortable and convenient. The old photos and historical explanations really add to the sense of place. Come for the view; stay for the charm!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Thank-you for joining us over the holiday season, you are correct, we do have lots of restaurants near by and we are close to downtown if you have shopping to do. The view of English Bay is a favorite of our guests, I will post you review as it is well written and I love the tag line- "COME FOR THE VIEW AND STAY FOR THE CHARM" Really hope to see you again soon
Port Hadlock, WA
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed four nights over Christmas and had a home away from home at the Sylvia. It is perfect! Clean rooms, small well-equipped kitchen, amazing views, beach across the street for dog play. This hotel is in a high class zip code but is homey and a wonderful home base in this great city. Walks in Stanley Park, False Creek ferries to Granville Island for grocery shopping. Really, I cannot think of one downside. The grand lady Sylvia is 100 years old and shows her age with grace and style. Thank you to her caretakers, the family of staff who are wonderful hosts.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank-you for joining us over the Christmas season, we work very hard to keep the hotel feel like home. I appreciate that you noticed. On behalf of my team and the Owners, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and you are welcome back anytime. Hope to see you again next year.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 December 2012

If you want to see the real Vancouver then use The Sylvia as your base. You are right on English Bay (you really are honestly), can walk into Stanley Park (literally a block or two up the road), or saunter up Denman or Cambie Streets which have bags of restaurants, coffee shops or liquor and grocery stores.

The hotel has lots of character, the rooms are clean and quiet - our room had an incredible view right out onto English Bay (527) and was a corner room so very bright. There is a restaurant that looks out right onto English Bay which has good reviews. We ordered breakfast to our room and found it to be good and delivered swiftly.

We brought our small dog with us and were not charged extra - all rooms are pet friendly but you wouldn't notice as they are unblemished and it appears that the owners (we saw a few) are responsible.

Price was $114 with Travelocity for a Christmas stay.

Room Tip: 527 had a sea view and was a corner room.