“Exercise caution”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Sylvia fairly oozes old world character and charm. Its location is unbeatable, on English Bay, next to Stanley Park, an easy walk or short bus ride to downtown, with a wide variety of excellent restaurants and shops nearby on Denman, Robson and Davie Streets. My room was well-appointed and surprisingly large for the price - off-season rates are more than reasonable. The staff were pleasant and helpful. It was unfortunate that my stay was rather spoilt when I found and killed a cockroach in my room on the first day, and presented it to reception, thinking they would probably want to know about a possible infestation. They said they would take (unspecified) action, but I believe pest-control chemicals were introduced into the room in my absence, because every day thereafter (for four days) I woke up with a splitting headache, something I never get. They deny having done this, but to be on the safe side, I would recommend asking for a change of room if the same should happen to you. Either that or just don't report anything.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

I see that you enjoyed your stay with us for the full four days you booked. You and I have sent back and fourth emails about your comments of a cockroach in your room. As I said in my emails to you, we had our professional pest control company come to the hotel on two occasions to follow up and they nor my staff could find a cock roach anywhere in the hotel and we looked back three years and no evidence of cockroaches ever at the Sylvia in the time period. As I also said we nor the pest control company sprayed anything in your room as we do not spray unless the need has been verified and since no issues were found no spray was used or needed. Your threat to write a bad review on trip advisor unless you were offered four free nights was unacceptable to me. We take all concerns of our guests very seriously and we do follow up on all issues brought to my attention. In short I do not know why you had a headache but I can assure you that we did not spray chemicals in your room. I appreciate your business but we will not he held hostage for a discount if threatened by a bad review on trip advisor. Should you have any new information of want to speak to me please call me directly.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were only in Vancouver for two days and this grand old hotel made our visit quite successful. The room was a bit old-fashioned, but that's what we were expecting. The restaurant had a delightful menu and the waitstaff were very pleasant. We had a slight view of English Bay and really enjoyed being so close to Stanley Park.

Room Tip: This is a delightful grand old hotel. If you are expecting state-of-the-art amenities this may not...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

I hope that you will return for more than two days on your next visit. Thank-you for taking time to write a review, remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best rates and room types. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the service and menu in the Restaurant. Nice review and comments. See you again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

What a pleasant surprise -we loved this charming hotel! You just can't beat it's location, right on the bay, with the ambling 'sea walk' going for miles along the water and around Stanley Park, which is another treasure. We had a 2 room suite, each room with a bathroom, and a separate kitchen, with a view over the bay! Much more than we expected for the very moderate price. The variety of restaurants in the neighborhood is astounding - it's like being in New York, where everything you could possibly need is within a 2 block radius. The hotel's restaurant was quite good, and the lounge seemed very popular. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Downside? not a thing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

A very nice review, thank-you. Location, price, value and service is what the Sylvia Hotel is all about. The restaurant has worked very hard to get the right menu and value as well, thanks for mentioning the food. I see that you posted some pictures as well, what a great looking group. I hope that we will see all of you again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Sylvia is a beautiful old, ivy-covered hotel on English Bay, at the foot of Denman Street, in Vancouver's fashionable West End. The area is vibrant day and night and great for walks either through the West End, around Stanley Park or into the downtown core via either Davie or Robson Streets.

Rooms at the hotel vary greatly in size so be sure to ask for what you want or need. I can't recommend this hotel enough. It's not slick and new but it's well-maintained, clean, quiet, and the people working the front desk were incredibly helpful and kind.

Room Tip: Room 708 has 2 king-size beds, a writing desk, sitting area with couch, arm chair, coffee table and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank-you for the great heading on your review. We work very hard to keep the hotel which is a heritage site is great shape and very clean. The location meets the needs of most people coming to Vancouver with the benefits of being in the west-end and right across the street from the beach. Again thank-you for your kind words and rating, we hope you will be back soon to enjoy the area.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed here for my birthday. Nice old hotel with large comfortable rooms. This hotel was at one time an apartment so the rooms are larger than most, ours with a separate kitchen. Our room did have a limited view of English bay, not expecting any view. Location here, I don't think could be any better being close to Stanley Park and across the street from English Bay. Staff looked after any of our questions and requests. Planning a repeat stay in the spring. Not a luxury hotel but very comfortable, affordable, and friendly. Had a good meal in the restaurant as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Happy Belated Birthday, thank-you for letting us be a part of your special day. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your room; we have so many different room sizes and types for almost every need. The location is great and my staff work very hard to satisfy your needs. I hope that we will see you again on your next birthday?

Reviewed 28 October 2013

A one word description of this hotel would be "A Charmer:.I would classify it as a boutique older style hotel. The public rooms are nicely appointed "high end" 40's style. The lounge was very lively each of the 2 evenings we stayed. The restaurant service was fast and the menu selections were tastey and varied.Our room was clean, and efficient. The location is across the street from Stanley Park. There are many and varied restaurants and pubs within walking distance. Several bus lines have stops within minutes of the hotel making connections to all parts of Vancouver easy and cheap. This hotel is one of the few I have stayed in that still has a room key. All in all, a real FIND!

Room Tip: When booking specify if the stay is a special occasion, chances of an upgrade are good.
2  Thank Larry L
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

We are a heritage site hotel and want to keep inline with the past so thank-you for your comments about the Style and the old world charm. The location is very popular with active people in Vancouver, shops, restaurant and bus stops all across the street for easy access. Thank-you for your rating and scores and the valuable comments. I hope that we will see you again soon to use one of those real rooms’ keys.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The Sylvia is a beautiful old hotel full of character and well located overlooking English Bay. Our room was clean, comfortable and quite spacious. I love the ambience and can't fault the service at reception and in the restaurant/bar. Definitely my favourite place to stay in Vancouver. I do miss the cat though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank-you for taking time to write a few comments about your stay and your kind comments about the cleanliness of the rooms. We do have many room types and sizes so if you do require more space please request it as some rooms are smaller than others. We miss Mr. Got to Go and well (our cat) by the way, the third book about our cat will be ready for sale early next year if you are interested, the second book did so well they had to write a third. We hope that we will see you again soon.