Sylvia Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Buchan Hotel(Vancouver)
View Hotel
Times Square Suites Hotel(Vancouver)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
1,568 results
All reviewsstanley parkoverlooking english bayhistoric hoteldenman streetwest endthere is no air conditioningsea wallgranville islandan older hotelcan't beat the locationamazing locationlots of restaurantscorner roomvisit vancouverfew blocksloungeseawall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My first indication of this hotel's idea of service was when I went in for breakfast on my first morning of a two-night stay. "Do you have a reservation?" I was asked. When I explained that I was a hotel guest, I was told to seat myself at an adjoining cafeteria-type space. There, I was told I could not seat myself, and was sent back to the restaurant. After further kerfuffle, I eventually was given a table.
Similar poor service was all too apparent later when I went into the hotel Bar for a drink and light lunch. I was served a glass of wine, but, having said I would wait a few minutes before receiving the crab cakes I ordered, the waiter proceeded to ignore me. Eventually, having finished my wine, the food arrived. I ordered another wine, and told the waiter I was not happy. Moments later, a somewhat unfriendly woman arrived to tell me the hotel didn't have crab cakes that day. I pointed out that crab cakes were on the menu at my table. She indicated, somewhat coolly, they would make an exception in my case. The waiter eventually told me someone had placed the wrong menu on my table. The aforementioned woman, obviously in need of a lesson in good PR, did not mention the menu error.
The staff at the Front Desk are excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank larstill
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us but I was equally unhappy with your experience in the Food and Beverage outlets. We were very busy this year and it looks like a wrong menu was left on your table (we reduce the menu offerings during the holidays to offer better service), It looks like a staff member may have made a mistake and for that we are sorry. I will be speaking to the Food and Beverage Manager to review these issues, thank-you for bringing your concerns to my attention. We always want to make every guest feel special.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stay come here every year for work Christmas parties, and the Sylvia is never a let down. The staff and food is great and the rooms are nice and quaint with the most comfortable beds! It is a beautiful historical hotel perfectly situated right on English bay, great for walks on the beach and all the shops and cafes/restaurants/bars are within walking distance on Davie street.

Room Tip: all rooms are pretty nice, higher floors might have a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dshawmmiller

Thank-you for staying with us again this year for your Christmas party. We enjoy having your group every year. The location is perfect for getting around Vancouver and having access to the beach. We will be looking forward to seeing you again next year. Remember to always book your room directly with the Sylvia Hotel to get the best rates and room types.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

First, I must start by saying this is a 100 year old building, so my five-circle rating takes this into account. What made our stay great was friendly staff, and a terrific dog policy. No extra charges to have a dog and if your dog will be quiet, you can leave it alone in the room. This made the week we stayed with our dog very easy. Plus, there are lots of dog-lovers on staff to give pets and treats, our girl is really going to miss walking through that lobby several times a day.

For a week-long stay having a room with a kitchen was great. We had a nice view from the side of the building out to English Bay. The room was clean and housekeeping was prompt each morning. The tiny bathroom had been re-tiled and painted recently. WE had a king-sized bed and two comfortable chairs in the room. A really good place for down time after a lot of visiting, dog walking and shopping. The location near Stanley Park, shopping and restaurants could not be better. Their rates are very reasonable for a great location in a terrific city. If you can do without the glitz of newer hotels, give The Sylvia a try. Don't forget the lounge either. It is a cozy place frequented by regulars from the surrounding neighborhood.

Room Tip: We were next to the stairwell and could hear some kids as they ran down the stairs, but this was daytimer or early evening and not a big deal, but if you are very sound sensitive you may want to stay away from the stairwell.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tripsterVancouver_Bc
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank-you staying with us for the week and bringing your pet is a plus with us. Pets are a part of the family. The location of the hotel is a favorite with many of our return guests. So happy you had a room with a full kitchen as it does help save some money on eating out if here for a week, but book those rooms early as they are very popular. And remember to always book directly with the Sylvia Hotel for the best rates and best room types as we do not put all room types on line for third party sires to sell. Hope you will return soon and thank-you for taking time to write.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We don't go to Vancouver as often as we would like these days. We have managed to stay at the Sylvia on two occasions in the past few years, and enjoyed our stays there. You cannot beat the location, especially if you have a room facing English Bay. We did both times, and I have to say, that falling asleep to the sound of the gentle waves in English Bay is such a lovely experience. If you have a suite with a kitchen, you can save costs when travelling as a group, which I plan to do sometime. The hotel is already a good deal. One other thing, we have eaten in the restaurant, and the food was good. I can't think of anything I would want to see changed at this venerable hotel. I can imagine that anyone who has made a negative comment, is probably the type of person who wants a cookie-cutter, personality-free place. We prefer some character, history (Errol Flynn apparently used to drink here) and scenery, as well as the convenience of being close to anything worth seeing in Vancouver!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing English Bay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daphne S
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank-you for taking time to write a few comments and thank-you for your opinion on those people that did not enjoy their stay, you may be right. The location is great for everyone with the beach as an added bonus. The restaurant has been getting some great reviews and we hope to launch another new menu after dine out in late February. I was happy to read your title "our favorite place to stay", I never get tired of reading that. Plus we do have rooms with full kitchens and it does help save you money if you are here for more than a few days. We hope to see you again soon and remember to always call the hotel directly to ensure the very best rate and access to all room types which we do not put on third party web sites. See you soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Two nights in a great spot. Walking distance to the beach, the park and great restaurants. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

The room was comfortable with big windows and high ceilings. The building is charming.

Room Tip: I would request a room on a higher floor with a view of English Bay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gumballs
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

I was happy to read that you stayed for two nights. I feel you need to stay at least two nights to be able to slow down and enjoy the Hotel and local area. One night is not enough in my opinion. Thank-you for your kind words about my crew, they work very hard to do their jobs well. I hope we see you again soon for maybe a whole week?