“Quaint and charming ...”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This Hotel is situated in one of the nicest spots in all of Vancouver. Walking from here to anywhere in the West End is not only possible but recommended as you will thoroughly enjoy, Denman Street, Davies, Robson, and of course the beach front all the more.There are so many great restaurants nearby that anyone could not be disappointed by the choice.

The Sylvia is quaint and charming but don't look too hard at the surroundings as it is, at the end of the day an old Hotel. Bearing this in mind, it is actually nice to not have to stay in a 4 or 5 Star Hotel, as I find that most are all flash but barren of substance and significance. Here, you are staying in a place that inspires the greatness of a long ago era. The Sylvia was one of the first 'Skyscraper' style buildings in Vancouver that looked out over English Bay and reminds one of what grandeur would have existed 80+ years ago.

Stayed here a few times now and would not hesitate to do so in the future. Obviously one day someone will invest a pile of money into this Grand Hotel and turn it into that 5 Star Boutique Hotel but I think that may actually take away from the character of this old place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Welcome back, you mentioned that you have stayed here before. We are 101 years old and yes, being a heritage site we will always try and keep the old world charm. The location is perfect for so many people coming to Vancouver; we are blessed with the beach, restaurants and easy access to public transportation. We will always try to exceed the service offered by other hotels. I like it when guests at appreciate what we offer and are loyal to the Sylvia. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Vancouver.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,539)

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The Sylvia, one of the oldest hotels in Vancouver, has the best location in town, across from the beach on English Bay. A step across the road and you are on the beach or the sea wall path that stretches from False Creek to around Stanley Park. A lovely walk brings you to the foot ferries that go up and down False Creek--no long trips on the bus! You can walk downtown and to the Park, and Denman St, the equivalent of outer Queen St W in Toronto, is a block away. The whole long front of the hotel is a bar/restaurant with an unobstructed view of the bay, the UBC area, and West Van. And it's open from 7 am to midnight. The food is fine. The bathrooms still have bathtubs--great for cold bones creaky from long walks. On the slightly down side the rooms are small, but mine was on a corner with two big windows. And someone should convince the management that tan is not a cheerful, welcoming colour, especially in a usually grey environment. One of the best things about the Sylvia is that the staff makes single female guests feel comfortable and at home--who could ask for more?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank snowNovaScotia
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

I agree with you and so many others that the location is great and as you mentioned easy to get around. Thank-you for mentioning the staff, they all work very hard to exceed a guest's expectations and we do pay a little more attention to single travelers men or woman. Sorry the weather during your stay was a little grey, please come back in summer and you will have a more colorful experience.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Three fellow teachers and I attended a training workshop in Vancouver this past weekend. The workshop organisers had kindly booked discounted rooms at three other hotels nearby, but I called the Sylvia and asked if they could match the prices we were offered. They did.
My three colleagues hadn't been to the Sylvia before and they loved it. The atmosphere is friendly and cozy, the staff extremely personable and helpful, and the location in the west end is great.
We finished every night in the lounge with a drink or two, by the fire, if possible. On the first night we got to listen to some lovely jazz.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

I love the header “I wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Vancouver" Thank-you for that statement, it says a lot. I remember your group; it was a pleasure to serve you. I am glad you thought to call the Sylvia before you booked another location. I would hope that all Guests call the Sylvia when booking in Vancouver; in most cases we can match other hotels rates in order to offer the best value. Please keep in mind that we have so many room types and we are very busy so not all rooms are available if booking last minute. Always call the Hotel directly to get the best rates. The lounge currently offers live music on Wednesday and Thursday nights with some of the best entertainers in Vancouver. Please come back soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Calm respite on beach. If you like walking city streets and beach combing, tea early in the wee hours, a window that opens and vines on old brick this is the retreat for you. Close to fantastic food and a $10cab ride to the Canada Line to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank-you for your scores and rating on your last visit with us. The location is great for everyone as we are so close and convenient to the entire city. We will look forward to serving you again. Please remember to call the hotel directly to get the best rates and room types.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My girlfriend and I chose this hotel for our Valentine's weekend and it was wonderful. Right downtown by the water we spent our first night watching the sunset in the lounge drinking wine, Heather was our waitress and she was absolutely charming. It's in walking distance of both the beautiful beach, neat shopping areas and a few blocks away from some fantastic LGBTQ bars. Working in the hotel industry myself I was pleasantly surprised at how absolutely clean our room was, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. When I return to Vancouver this will be the place to stay!

Room Tip: There are no in room fridges or microwaves so don't bring any perishables that you don't pla...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank-you for joining us on Valentines day. We were sold out that weekend and a good time was had by all. The dining room with the special menu was very popular. The location is great for everyone as everything is so close. I was happy to read that you noticed how hard our housekeeping staff work to keep our room spotless. Your comments about no fridges in rooms is correct however we do offer fridges that request them as we do have a few spares for guests needs, plus we do have rooms with full kitchens. We hope that you do not wait until next Valentine day to return and when you do call the hotel directly for the best rates and room types instead of going thru a third party web site.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I spent 3 days in Sylvia hotel to see a friend also to enjoy Vancouver city. The location of this hotel is amazing. Just by the English bay and there are many shops around that you can grab food. The staffs in the hotel are very friendly, it feels like they have known me before, also very handy in helping me to go around.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Moussakas
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Spending three days at the Sylvia is long enough to get a good feel of the local area and sample the service offered by my crew. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and you felt that the hotel was convenient. Always remember to book your next stay with the hotel directly to get the best rates and room types. Hurry back before the summer season.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I think this hotel is beautiful on the outside and has a great view. However, the inside is quite run down especially the bathrooms. I also found it very strange that they only give you one key to your room. This led to me being locked out and needing to have the porter basically break me in. It's a bit bizarre. the breakfast was tasty but very expensive (3 people, $50).

I think if the inside had a big renovation, this could be a good hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank-you for taking time to write a few comments about your opinion of the Sylvia Hotel. We are a heritage site and the hotel is over 100 years old. The bathrooms are small as they were designed back in 1912; even though they are small they are very clean and functional. We have been using the one key system for over 60 years and it works very well, we you leave the hotel you leave the key at the front desk, the first one back gets the key and is in the room when the second person arrive at the hotel. We do this to control the security of the keys and to protect our guests. This system also means that you never have to deal with the key cards loosing their information and having to return to the front desk for another card. I am sorry that you felt that the breakfast was too expensive but we are very competitive for the quality of food and service. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Vancouver.