“Excellent”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My husband & I spent 7 nights are that lovely vintage hotel. The suite (bedroom, kitchen, lounge, bathroom, parking & wifi) was comfortably furnished, with a king sized bed that we got lost in - but not due to any sagging.
The suite was serviced daily.
There are shops near by & Ann excellent bus service to Downtown.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Excellent! a nice comment to describe your stay in one word. I hope that you will return again for another 7 days soon. When you do book again remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best rate and room types and we do not offer all room types on line. Thank-you for the great rating and scores. Guest love our beds! after all we sell sleep so we believe that the bed is very important. Should be a great summer, rooms are filling up fast, so book soon when you know your dates of travel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,546)

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Every year I take a trip with two girlfriends for a chance to get together and have some bonding time. This year we chose the Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver and we were all very pleased. We had a corner suite on the third floor with a bedroom, kitchen and foldout bed in the common room. The views from our front and side windows of English Bay were incredible. Sunsets were quick but beautiful. The seawall was right out front and my friends walked in every day in the morning. The rooms were quaint and very clean. People-watching from our room was very interesting. We took a little boat taxi over to Granville Island for some food and shopping. We had a drink in the lounge and noticed it could use some reupholstering. Their keys are actual keys and my friends didn't like the fact that we had to turn them in every time we left the hotel. It's an old hotel but with that comes history, character and charm. We may make this hotel a regular destination.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a view of English Bay
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank-you for taking the time to write and introducing some of your girl friends to the Sylvia Hotel. I was happy to read your comment about the service and cleanliness of the hotel. I do hope that you do make it an annual event. The location is great for get-a-ways, transportation, restaurants and the sea wall right outside your door. If you are lucky enough to get a room with a view is a bonus. Remember to always call the hotel directly for the guaranteed best rates and and room types. The Sylvia has rooms that are much larger than a standard hotel room plus we have rooms with full kitchen if you plan to stay more than a night or two. For guests on a budget we also have some smaller rooms, so call first, you will always get more information by speaking to one of my staff. We look forward to serving you again next year.Please say hi to the girls for us and Thank-you.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Great pet friendly hotel right on English Bay. This is a great find if you are looking for a place with your pet. Keeping in mind that this is an older building the rooms are nice, the location can't be beat. The restaurant has one of the best views.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank-you for the great title "location and price is the best". The location of the hotel on English Bay has been a favorite of guest for over 100 years, and we have been Pet friendly for the past 60 years. We are the only hotel in Downtown Vancouver that does not charge extra for pets which has become very popular with our Guests over the years. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

What a great place! Sylvia hotel is an institution in this part of town - it has been in existence for almost a century! The rooms are charming and if you get a sea view… what a view!!! Aside from its location, what truly makes this hotel is its staff. As I was very jet lagged during my stay here, I have met both the day and night staff and every single person working in this hotel has been so friendly and welcoming. I have been so impressed by all the little attentions given by the staff here and there during my stay: directions, advice for restaurants, coffee service outside room service hours, even cookies for my dog!
Sylvia hotel is remarkable as it also accepts dogs - which is how I initially discovered the hotel. However, it had been recommended by friends who do visit the hotel even if they are not pet owners.
I really highly recommend this place. It's a friendly atmosphere right in front of English Bay, right next to Stanley park and minutes away from shopping streets!

Room Tip: You want to pay a bit of extra to get the room with the sea view. Also ask for a high floor!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

We are over a century old and when a guests refers to us as “a home away from home" it puts a smile on my face. Thank-you for mentioning my staff, they all work very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and take pride in their jobs. We have been a pet friendly hotel for over 60 years and we are still the only hotel in Vancouver that does not charge extra for pets. I wish that every room had a great view of English bay as they are requested often. When booking your next visit always call the hotel directly for the best guaranteed rate and we do offer rooms that are not listed on third party web sites, so to save money and have a better choice of room types call us directly. Thank-you for taking time to write and the great scores.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This Hotel is situated in one of the nicest spots in all of Vancouver. Walking from here to anywhere in the West End is not only possible but recommended as you will thoroughly enjoy, Denman Street, Davies, Robson, and of course the beach front all the more.There are so many great restaurants nearby that anyone could not be disappointed by the choice.

The Sylvia is quaint and charming but don't look too hard at the surroundings as it is, at the end of the day an old Hotel. Bearing this in mind, it is actually nice to not have to stay in a 4 or 5 Star Hotel, as I find that most are all flash but barren of substance and significance. Here, you are staying in a place that inspires the greatness of a long ago era. The Sylvia was one of the first 'Skyscraper' style buildings in Vancouver that looked out over English Bay and reminds one of what grandeur would have existed 80+ years ago.

Stayed here a few times now and would not hesitate to do so in the future. Obviously one day someone will invest a pile of money into this Grand Hotel and turn it into that 5 Star Boutique Hotel but I think that may actually take away from the character of this old place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Welcome back, you mentioned that you have stayed here before. We are 101 years old and yes, being a heritage site we will always try and keep the old world charm. The location is perfect for so many people coming to Vancouver; we are blessed with the beach, restaurants and easy access to public transportation. We will always try to exceed the service offered by other hotels. I like it when guests at appreciate what we offer and are loyal to the Sylvia. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The Sylvia, one of the oldest hotels in Vancouver, has the best location in town, across from the beach on English Bay. A step across the road and you are on the beach or the sea wall path that stretches from False Creek to around Stanley Park. A lovely walk brings you to the foot ferries that go up and down False Creek--no long trips on the bus! You can walk downtown and to the Park, and Denman St, the equivalent of outer Queen St W in Toronto, is a block away. The whole long front of the hotel is a bar/restaurant with an unobstructed view of the bay, the UBC area, and West Van. And it's open from 7 am to midnight. The food is fine. The bathrooms still have bathtubs--great for cold bones creaky from long walks. On the slightly down side the rooms are small, but mine was on a corner with two big windows. And someone should convince the management that tan is not a cheerful, welcoming colour, especially in a usually grey environment. One of the best things about the Sylvia is that the staff makes single female guests feel comfortable and at home--who could ask for more?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank snowNovaScotia
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

I agree with you and so many others that the location is great and as you mentioned easy to get around. Thank-you for mentioning the staff, they all work very hard to exceed a guest's expectations and we do pay a little more attention to single travelers men or woman. Sorry the weather during your stay was a little grey, please come back in summer and you will have a more colorful experience.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Three fellow teachers and I attended a training workshop in Vancouver this past weekend. The workshop organisers had kindly booked discounted rooms at three other hotels nearby, but I called the Sylvia and asked if they could match the prices we were offered. They did.
My three colleagues hadn't been to the Sylvia before and they loved it. The atmosphere is friendly and cozy, the staff extremely personable and helpful, and the location in the west end is great.
We finished every night in the lounge with a drink or two, by the fire, if possible. On the first night we got to listen to some lovely jazz.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

I love the header “I wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Vancouver" Thank-you for that statement, it says a lot. I remember your group; it was a pleasure to serve you. I am glad you thought to call the Sylvia before you booked another location. I would hope that all Guests call the Sylvia when booking in Vancouver; in most cases we can match other hotels rates in order to offer the best value. Please keep in mind that we have so many room types and we are very busy so not all rooms are available if booking last minute. Always call the Hotel directly to get the best rates. The lounge currently offers live music on Wednesday and Thursday nights with some of the best entertainers in Vancouver. Please come back soon.