“A gem on English Bay”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Booked on booking.com and on arrival hotel matched price for one extra night and upgraded us to king for all three nights at no extra charge. Hotel was extremely clean, very reasonable price, staff very friendly. Restaurant was very good but a bit on expensive side, view was outstanding. Located right on English Bay next to Stanley Park with good walking and running paths. Beds are good and rooms quiet. Would definitely stay again at this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tangohotel
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

We value your business and we work very hard to impress every guests with the cleanliness of the hotel and the service we offer, I was happy to read that we were able to upgrade you on your stay, (can not always do that but when we can we do that often). Remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best rates and room (we do not always put the all room types on the third party sites).Thank-you for the great header. We have lots of specials on our web site if you are looking for great rates and packages.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,547)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Sylvia Hotel is in a really great location - walking distance to all kinds and sizes of restaurants. It has history, character and if staffed by great people. The view from the rooms and from the restaurant and bar is absolutely wonderful - nice! It is an old hotel so don't expect everything to be perfect but it is very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank-you for taking time to write a review, Guests read these reviews in most cases to find out what a guest really feels about there stay. You gave them all the need to know in a short overview of the location, staff, and service. Well written, We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Whenever we visit in Vancouver, B.C. for more than a day-trip, we always stay at Sylvia Hotel. It has history, it is old but charming and the location is perfect. You step outside the hotel and there you have the Seawall along English Bay for walking, biking or just relaxing on a bench. We like the proximity to Stanley Park and possibility to stroll down Denman Street into downtown. At this visit, we got a nice room with two double beds on the 8th floor, which was more spacious than the smaller rooms at earlier visits. It also had a view toward the Seawall and Bay. It is lovely to come back to the hotel after a brisk morning walk and sit down for breakfast and still enjoy the view. We have not hesitated to bring guests with us to the Sylvia Hotel when visiting in the Northwest and it has always been appreciated.

Room Tip: The 8th floor room, which was bright and spacious.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Welcome back, thanks for introducing new guests to the Sylvia Hotel. The location is first class and convenient for most people while staying in Vancouver. We have so many room types and sizes that it is important to always call the hotel directly when you are booking to always get the best price and we can then also find the correct size of room that you require on your stay. We do not always sell all room types on third party web sites and our rates are always cheaper. We hope that you will return soon so we can serve you again. This summer is going to be great.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Really enjoyed the ambience of the Sylvia hotel. Older hotel but well kept. The view from the bar & restaurant is wonderful - very relaxng. Seems to be a lot of older (like ourselves) people staying there - I get the impression that they get a lot of repeat business. We were pleasantly surprised with how quiet it was. The only negative thing was that we did not have a coffee maker in our room. When my husband asked for one at the front desk he was told that they didn't have enough for all the rooms but that they would have someone bring us coffee to our room. Unfortunately they charged us for that service which we did not expect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank-you for your great comments about the Sylvia Hotel, we are a heritage site and the hotel is over 100 years old. The restaurant and lounge are great to people watch and enjoy the views of English Bay. Thanks for noticing how well kept and clean the hotel is as we all work hard to ensure that the highest standards are met. The reason that some rooms have coffee makers and others do not is because we have never put coffee makers in the rooms until just recently, we need to increase the power outlets in each room( which we are doing a few rooms at a time). We will be trying to get them in every room by the end of the year. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We always stay in this Hotel whenever we go to Vancouver B.C. It has quite a history which I don't have time to go into here. Most rooms have an view of English Bay, it is right next to Stanley Park. It is within walking distance (couple miles) of downtown B.C. It is a very old and quaint brick building that has mostly been updated. It still has the original elevators (newly serviced I assure you) In a very quiet spot even though it is right across the beach and for B.C. Hotels it is very affordable. Has underground parking for a small fee per night and also a restaurant and bar (all updated). You will love this place but make reservations well ahead of time. It fills up fast.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center and the "small rooms" are really small. Unless you are alone at...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank-you for staying with us and taking the time to write a few comments about the hotel and your experience. We are located very near Stanley Park and right across the street from the beach. We always improve the hotel in the off season to keep up with current trends but always respecting the heritage of the hotel. Being over 100 years old we take pride in the cleanliness and service offered to our Guests. We hope that you will return soon and thank-you for offering your "tip" to book early and always call the hotel directly for the best rate and room type as we do not offer all room types on line.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I've stayed at the Sylvia probably twenty times and have always enjoyed the great ambience, views, friendly staff, good food. One time I was upgraded to a lovely suite after having booked a king room, which was especially nice.
However, I just stayed there two nights and did not enjoy myself. I had planned to spend the days writing in my room, and had requested a desk. I got stuck in a very small room, with the desk in a dark corner. There was only one window to look out of - and the view was obstructed by scaffolding and blue tarps - as they were doing some renos on the adjacent. Also, the room smelled quite bad - when I came in, the window was open - for a reason, it turned out. If I came back to my room the smell was almost unbearable if I left the window closed. I asked for a room change (something I've never done) , but there were none available.
Needless to say, I did not stay in the room to write... I will likely stay again, but will make sure to ask for a room with a VIEW.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank shelley2Shelley2
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

I am sorry that you had to experience the inconvenience of some of the Reno's that we were required to do at this time of year (slowest time of year) and being sold out it was impossible to relocate you to another room. We do our very best to plan for Reno's when we would have the least amount of interruptions for our guests and our Reno company has been very good about working around our guests. I know that this did not help you on this stay, however on your next visit please call me so that I can maybe upgrade you on your next visit to help with the inconvenience of this past stay. (based on availability of course). We have been very lucky that the work has not been very intrusive and I thank all our guests for their understanding while this work is being done. It should be finished in a month and the Sylvia will be around for another 100 years because of the work being done today. Thank-you for your comments and please stop by the desk and ask for me when you return so I can apologize in person.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

This was our second stay at the Sylvia; we were there seven months earlier, in the spring-time. As before, the various hotel staff members were very friendly and helpful, both on the phone when reserving, and with check-in, check-out, and during our stay. Again this time, our departure from Vancouver was well past check-out time, so we appreciated the complimentary luggage storage service so that we could wander around for part of the day without having to take our luggage with us.

This time, we were in the older section on the third floor, looking into the parking area, and lacking the ivy-framed windows we had found so charming last time. It was a very spacious room with some interesting architectural details that give hints that the building has been re-purposed since its original construction, but there were some inconveniences too, the biggest being the lack of space for your legs when sitting on the toilet … the bathroom counter has been built to allow your knees to tuck underneath, but it’s somewhat claustrophobic. Also, being an older building, the room didn't have many electrical outlets; the desk was positioned in a large entry hallway, with nary an outlet anywhere nearby for plugging in my computer (the battery does not work and cannot be replaced). But this was easily remedied by moving one of the chairs in the sitting area out of the way, and moving the desk there, adjacent to an outlet. The receptacle was loose in the wall, and would not support the weight of my laptop’s transformer, so I had to position the desk leg up against it to hold it in.

Unfortunately, the internet service was just as bad as it had been last time, leading me to believe that the front desk clerk’s comment to me then when I mentioned it at check-out - that they were having router problems and it was to be repaired after the weekend - is just a stock answer to a common complaint.

The room had a nice flat screen TV, and lots of large windows including several that open, and the bed was very comfortable, The Sylvia’s best asset is its location, and both times we have stayed, there have been very good rate specials on, which make it an appealing option. Because of this, we may well stay there again on our next trip to Vancouver, but I will be doing some research on some of the other hotels in the area first.

Room Tip: Having stayed at the Sylvia twice, both times in rooms with a king-size bed, next time, I would requ...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank krp329

Welcome back, I seem to be saying that a lot over the years, so many return Guests making the Sylvia the hotel of choice when staying in Vancouver. Thank-you for mentioning the friendliness and service offered my the crew I will look into your concern about the plugs in your room and see if there is a fix for that problem. However I am concerned about your comments about the internet, we spent a lot of money upgrading the wifi service four years ago and we have had zero complaints since, (it was the best money ever spent in my opinion). So I am wondering if it is the age of your computer that may have been the issue? On your next visit please bring down your computer to the front desk so we can see if there is something we can do as we have not had any complaints in years, would like to see if we assist you in the future. The bathrooms are small as we were built over 100 years ago when bathrooms were small and being a heritage site we try very hard to keep the hotel in great shape and clean, but keeping the true character of days gone by. We look forward to being able to serve you again in the near future.