“Always a pleasant experience”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Always a pleasant experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel before and have always enjoyed the experience. The location cannot be beat and the staff is friendly and the food in the lounge and in the restaurant is always good. We had a bonus this time with the live jazz music that was played in the lounge the night we stayed there. There is always a bit of a question whether the elevator will arrive or not when the button is pushed but usually it does come eventually and it is a good reason to use the stairs.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite small and have very small bathrooms that you must step up into and out of. Mak...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lee C
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Welcome back and thank-you for continuing to book with us. Remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best rooms and rates. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the food and service in the lounge. The live jazz was well received by all guests that weekend, we do offer live music every Wednesday and Thursday nights in the lounge between 8-10pm. I hope that you will return soon so we can serve you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great location, nice rooms with windows that open to let in a breeze, but the bathroom is terribly small. For someone on a last minute getaway before knee replacement surgery the proximity of the toilet to the counter is a big problem. It's impossible for me to squeeze into the space and bend my knee enough to make it work. I usually don't ask for handicapped rooms, but when I saw it - and tried it - I asked about getting a handicapped room and was told the hotel doesn't have those types of rooms. When I asked about being transferred to a different room with a different bathroom set up I was informed the hotel was fully booked for the night. The only solution is for me to use the restroom off the lobby. It's not such a big deal during the day as we've been sitting on a bench across the street most of the afternoon but I do worry about tonight. Trips downstairs in my nightgown every time I have to use the restroom will be quite embarrassing and isn't what I would have expected when I'm paying for a room. If you're handicapped, make sure you check with the hotel about the bathroom setup so you don't wind up like me.

1 Thank DebzDays
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank-you for taking time to write your comments about your experience at the Sylvia Hotel. We are a heritage site and the hotel is over 102 years old so the bathrooms are small and very clean, not all bathrooms are as small as the room you stayed in and if we were sold out we could have moved you to a room with a larger space to make it more comfortable for you. I might mention in the future if you have special needs or requirements always call the hotel directly when making your reservation to make that requests and in most cases we would be able to meet those requests. Plus if you call the hotel directly you would be offered the best rooms at the best rates vs booking on line. I sorry for your inconvenience with your injury. Please book with us again and mention your experience so that we can better serve you and your needs.
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We love the Sylvia
We stay often!
It's right on English Bay!
Best international food is a block away!
Granville island a nice walk and ferry ride.
My hair dresser is in VC!
Live in WA!
Sylvia is perfect for me, clean, helpful staff. Location plus!
Enjoy!

1 Thank Iwamisea
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Welcome back and I enjoyed reading your review, you covered all the main points that most readers find interesting, great location, clean rooms and helpful staff. I hope you will return again this summer as the city of Vancouver has so many great events going on all summer and the weather is forecasted to be good.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Wonderful old hotel. Staff were friendly, location is terrific, cost is very reasonable, and the retro feel is priceless. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when in Vancouver. Walking distance to the best of Vancouver.

Room Tip: The one I had was great, don't know about others.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guy C
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
A great review, thank-you, I am so happy that we have earned your loyalty and that you enjoy the service and location. We will always be true to our heritage and keep offering a different style of accommodation that is offered by the chain hotels. Hurry back so we can serve you again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We only stayed 1 night here but wow. Staff is really nice. The hotel is amazingly situated: water front with an amazing view, near many shops restaurants and bars. The room was clean and very nice. I'd come back and stay here again for sure.

1 Thank Quan N
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
WOW, I love the fact that WOW says it all in your review. I was happy to read that you will be back and that you found the Hotel friendly and clean. Our location is popular and with the beach steps away it is easy to relax while staying at the Sylvia Hotel. Please remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best rate and room types. Thanks for writing your comments and hurry back.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

First impressions are of a rather dull interior but DONT be put off- the Sylvia is quaint and retro and extremely quiet and comfortable- ask for a room on the west side so you get a breeze in the thoughtfully netted windows and very little, if any, street noise. Down side street to one of best Italian restaurants we have been to- Adesso on Haro St where you can eat in the garden. Close to Stanley Park- try the Fish House in the park even if you don't eat fish as they do everything- fab setting and nice food. We swam for ages in the Second Beach open air pool which is close to the Sylvia. Great breakfast so no need to go out and nice bar in evening, inside or on terrace. It was perfect for us and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for side street room so you get a breeze and no traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
It sounds like you had a great time while in Vancouver, thank-you for staying with us. The closeness to Stanley Park and the pool and the beach is always a popular reason to stay that the Sylvia Hotel. I was happy to read that you mentioned the food and beverage department and how much you enjoyed the food and service. Relaxing and taking advantage of everything we have to offer is the best way to have a great time while being in Vancouver. We hope to see you soon and remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best price and room type available for the nights to you need to stay.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I love the Sylvia Hotel. The ivy covered exterior gives it a charm like no other hotel in Vancouver. The rooms are lovely and the beds are wonderful. All the staff are friendly, courteous and helpful. Room service is great and the food tasty and well-priced. One of the best features of the hotel is the location. It is right across the street from English Bay park with a beach, a pedestrian walk and a bike path. Stroll up the street a block or so and you are in Stanley Park! Stroll the other way and you are at the famous Laughing People statues and the great restaurants and liveliness of Denman Street. I love the old fashioned aspects of this hotel and I always feel comfortable when I stay there. It's my home away from home in Vancouver.

Room Tip: The queen suite I stayed in was great... with a small kitchen, a table, a sitting area, a wide scree...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peggi E
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I enjoyed reading your review, Charming and comfortable....says a lot. the restaurant has great views of English Bay and the hotel location with the beach right across the street is a favorite of most guests. We hope that you will return soon and remember to always book directly with the Sylvia Hotel to get the best rates and room types as we do not put all rooms on third party web sites. Thank-you for staying with us.