“Great Position”

Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Eltham,
“Great Position”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for 12 nights in June 2014. Our room, on the 8th floor was great. Lovely view of English Bay. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.We loved it. No mini bar but a coffee machine you could make tea with. Old fashioned furnishings that were very nice.The hotel is a classic.Great position,access to all of Vanouver is easy. Buses close by to Downtown, or you can walk.Restaurants just around the corner in Davies St.The hotel bar is lovely

Room Tip: High floor for view and away from any street noise
1 Thank MaryEltham
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
12 days in June at the Sylvia Hotel, you will be the envy of all your friends. We do sell sleep so the beds are always in great shape (some people prefer soft some hard, I think we are just right) and they are always upgraded to ensure a great nights sleep. We are in a residential area of Vancouver so it is quiet and away from the down town core, but close enough to walk to every thing and the bus loop is across the street. Book early for a chance to get a room on a high floor or one with a view of English Bay. Please always call us direct to get the best prices and room types as we do not offer all room types on line., Hurry back for 1 or 12 nights.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Sylvia Hotel very much after touring through the Rocky Mountains wildernis for a couple of weeks. The lobby personnel was very helpful and service-oriented, our room was nice, spacious and quiet. In terms of value-for-price, the hotel's location is definitely a scoring point. It's right on the brink to Stanley Park and the beach. Downtown can be reached in an easy walk (if you want to go there). The only thing I would recommend: Do not have breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Our waiter was annoying (borderline rude) and the food is overpriced considering what you get. Other than that: Sylvia Hotel is certainly a good choice for accommodation in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ocean view.
1 Thank S a M
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank-you for sharing your comments, and welcome back from the wilderness. I would like to know more about your experience for breakfast as I rarely get a compliant about the service we offer and the value. I would like to hear back from you to get more information so I can follow up. I am sorry that you felt that way about your breakfast experience. I appreciate that you still enjoyed the hotel and the good scores and rating you offered about your stay.
nyc, ny
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I found the Sylvia on tripadvisor (which has never yet steered me wrong). I was very excited to have a restful stay in a beautiful part of town with the nicest staff I've ever experienced at a hotel, and this is precisely what we got. Were this hotel freshened up, it would be superb, but it might not be the Sylvia if that happened. The room was huge, with great windows and an extra "kids' '" room, the carpet needs replacing, the bed could definitely be firmer, and the bathroom, while clean, was oddly arranged. This said, there were way better rooms for just about $40 more, so if you want an amazing view and even better light and sun and near-luxury, spend the extra and you'll probably overcome any deficits. But don't get me wrong, the deficits didn't matter after the first hour. The charm overwhelms. It's the right place to stay in Vancouver.

The restaurant was very nice and super friendly, the bar is overlooking English Bay and lush foliage, the neighborhood is gorgeous, with access to everything, including one of the largest, most immaculate public pools I've ever seen an 8 minute walk away (at the beginning of Stanley Park) and only about $6.75 Canadian for the day.

Room Tip: If you're staying 3 days or so, go for the slightly extra cost to look out over English Bay--it...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank luv2travlNyc_Ny
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
I love the title, The right place to stay", I have been saying that for years. We are a heritage site and the building was designed over 100 years ago so some of the rooms as smaller than others, the bathrooms are clean and small. If you are looking for a newer style hotel with all the bells and whistles you may not appreciate what other guests have written , however I know you will receive great service and have a wonderful experience if you stay with us. Book by calling us directly to get the best rates and room types.
Durhan (United Kingdom)
Reviewed 28 June 2014

if you are looking for a modern minimalist hotel this is not for you. If however you like nostalgia a step back in time, large spacious rooms with a view over the bay you will be in your element here. The hotel is ideally situated on English Bay for all the walks and activities in and around. Stanley Park. Breakfasts are excellent, cooked to order and evening meals are just as good.
You can also opt for an early bird evening meal which is very reasonably priced .The front desk was well staffed and helpful with local bus services and attractions in North Vancouver.
to make the most of your stay ask for a room in the original part of the hotel with a view of the bay,

rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Some people think that taking a step back in time is a bad thing, we do not. As you mentioned, we have a great location, great food and service and of course the best views in the city. Thank-you for taking the effort write about your stay and I was happy to read that you would recommend the hotel to others. I hope you will return again one day and we will be happy to serve you again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed for three nights in June. Very friendly staff. Really great location. Rooms have definately seen better days and are on the shabby side. Ours was painted brown which didn't help matters. No complaints about the bed though.

1 Thank LotteB1962
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank-you for taking time to write and offer your comments. As we are a heritage site and over 102 years old our rooms are all different, on your next visit ask to see the room and we will find one that works for you. When you do book please call the hotel directly to get the best possible room and best rate that we do not offer on line. We hope to see you again.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel before and have always enjoyed the experience. The location cannot be beat and the staff is friendly and the food in the lounge and in the restaurant is always good. We had a bonus this time with the live jazz music that was played in the lounge the night we stayed there. There is always a bit of a question whether the elevator will arrive or not when the button is pushed but usually it does come eventually and it is a good reason to use the stairs.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite small and have very small bathrooms that you must step up into and out of. Mak...
2 Thank Lee C
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Welcome back and thank-you for continuing to book with us. Remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best rooms and rates. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the food and service in the lounge. The live jazz was well received by all guests that weekend, we do offer live music every Wednesday and Thursday nights in the lounge between 8-10pm. I hope that you will return soon so we can serve you again.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great location, nice rooms with windows that open to let in a breeze, but the bathroom is terribly small. For someone on a last minute getaway before knee replacement surgery the proximity of the toilet to the counter is a big problem. It's impossible for me to squeeze into the space and bend my knee enough to make it work. I usually don't ask for handicapped rooms, but when I saw it - and tried it - I asked about getting a handicapped room and was told the hotel doesn't have those types of rooms. When I asked about being transferred to a different room with a different bathroom set up I was informed the hotel was fully booked for the night. The only solution is for me to use the restroom off the lobby. It's not such a big deal during the day as we've been sitting on a bench across the street most of the afternoon but I do worry about tonight. Trips downstairs in my nightgown every time I have to use the restroom will be quite embarrassing and isn't what I would have expected when I'm paying for a room. If you're handicapped, make sure you check with the hotel about the bathroom setup so you don't wind up like me.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebzDays
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank-you for taking time to write your comments about your experience at the Sylvia Hotel. We are a heritage site and the hotel is over 102 years old so the bathrooms are small and very clean, not all bathrooms are as small as the room you stayed in and if we were sold out we could have moved you to a room with a larger space to make it more comfortable for you. I might mention in the future if you have special needs or requirements always call the hotel directly when making your reservation to make that requests and in most cases we would be able to meet those requests. Plus if you call the hotel directly you would be offered the best rooms at the best rates vs booking on line. I sorry for your inconvenience with your injury. Please book with us again and mention your experience so that we can better serve you and your needs.