“"Sylvia Hotel, Vancouver - Wonderful Location"”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This old hotel with "killer location" right by English Bay is recommended by Frommers.com where I always go for our travel planning. It is on the edge of "downtown", within walking distance to restaurants and transportation, and Stanley Park. It is clean, charming, with pleasant service. Our two rooms at reasonable rate on the top floor were huge with two queen size beds, a round table/chairs, dresser, and a good size TV. Two level basement garage parking at C$15 a day. We had a very good and reasonably priced breakfast in their restaurant. The small bathroom could use some renovation. The hotel does not have air-conditioning. With open windows in warm weather, we suggest screens be added to the windows. We will not hesitate to stay at Sylvia again on our next visit to Vancouver.

Room Tip: Request higher floors with view of English Bay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

"A killer location" first time it has been referred to as that I am sure and I like it, thank-you, the location is fantastic. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the service our team offers and that you noticed how clean the hotel is. We do not offer A/C in the rooms but it is rarely an issue as all the windows open and you get a nice breeze off English Bay to cool down the rooms at night. You said you will be back and we thank-you for your comments and scores on this site. Hurry back still lots of great weather until the fall. When you book again please call us directly for the best rates and room types.

There are newer reviews for Sylvia Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Sylvia Hotel is a historic, or heritage, hotel on the beach in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada. We stayed for three days while waiting to embark on Celebrity's MILLENNIUM Alaska cruise.
There are restaurants to satisfy most demanding palates within short strolls from the hotel. Also, there are many wonderful and interesting things to do and explore. Our Hop on-Hop off bus stop was about one or two blocks from the hotel. (You won't get soaked if it is raining and you need to walk... That's a plus in BC.)
The Sylvia has no Air Conditioning: the temperature was very pleasant during the evenings and nights. Although the windows were open, there was minimal noise coming from the busy streets. However, the seagulls--that's another story!
We thoroughly enjoyed the Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Love your title "what a jewel", You are correct, we are surrounded by restaurants and the beach is across the street. Guests love the fresh air off English Bay with windows that open instead of having A/C. Thank-you for your great scores and rating. Happy to read that you will return and stay with us. Please call directly to the Hotel for the best rates and room types.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We booked this hotel to have an old-time, classic, distinguished, English experience. If this is what you are interested in, you're in for disappointment.

Our group was provided 2 rooms on the 5th floor. Arriving on the floor, we were met with an unpleasant smell in the hallway. Upon opening the door of the first apartment, we were hit with a strong smell which we honestly thought was urine. It was worst in the bathroom but permeated the whole apartment. When I pointed this out to the front desk, the manager came up to investigate. He said he couldn't really smell urine and that he had a fine nose when it comes to such things. He indicated that it was more of a "wet dog smell" resulting from the cleaning products used by the hotel. Now I, like many of you out there, have been traveling for many years and have stayed in hundreds of hotels, but never have I before encountered a hotel that uses products having an ever so inviting and delightful "wet dog smell" in an effort to bolster its image. Seriously, what hotel would WILLINGLY use "wet dog smell" cleaning products? Although this insulted my intelligence, I opted to bite my English upper lip to keep things civil.

In the second room, same smell, but also with a clear odor of sewer. Given that all bathrooms seem to be interconnected vertically by vents going up to the roof, we surmised that someone in the room below us had done his/her business.

To the manager's credit, he offered to put us up in other rooms when they became available the next day, perhaps in a more modern section. So our only alternative for the evening was to go to a local store and get lots of air freshener and scented candles to drown out the bad odors. However, the smell was so bad that we couldn't get rid of it entirely.

I grew up in a huge 100-year old bourgeois home and I can tell you that there is something really pleasant about the smell of old wood, old cabinetry, etc. However, you will not find this here. There is absolutely nothing distinguished about staying in a room where the manager openly admits that it smells like wet dog and that he's actually OK with it.

My only tip to the manager before he comments on this review: don't just dismiss the problems but correct them instead.

3  Thank Mike B
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

I am the General Manager of the Sylvia Hotel I did not ever speak to you about your stay, this is the first I have heard of this experience. I would never make a comment like that about a situation brought to me by a guests. I will be reviewing your stay with my crew to see if anyone was aware of this and if it was a staff member, I will be speaking to them about how to dal with a situation like this. We are a pet friendly hotel and have been since 1960. We are very good and dealing with pets and guests can read other reviews and see that this is not an occurrence or complaint that we get from any other guests. With that being said, I am sure you smelt something and I will review those dates with my staff to see if I can identify what it was that you are commenting on. I take our reputation very seriously and we pride ourselves with on our cleaning (which is backed up by other guests reviews on this site). I am sorry that you feel the way you do but I have never spoken to you and would not have dismissed your comments but followed up to ensure we found the source of the problem. Our guests that travel with pets do a very good job in caring for their pets as well as respecting all other guests that may not appreciate pets staying in hotels. I welcome you to call me if you have any other comments or questions, Thank-you for taking time to write and your tip to the manager.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Sylvia is a charming, quirky, quaint hotel from a bygone era. The furniture appears to be from the 50's, and the elevator has an analog floor indicator (but no elevator operator). The place is also clean and well-maintained, with service that is friendly and very helpful. We sat outside in the lounge for a happy hour drink and snacks and thoroughly enjoyed the people-watching and music from the beach. Our corner suite was comfortable and convenient. This place has soul and a location that could not be better. We walked daily to Stanley Park and down the beach to a water taxi to Granville Island. The only negative resulted from slightly warm and humid weather during our visit that made sleeping a bit difficult without air conditioning.

Room Tip: Corner suites have good cross breezes, well-outfitted kitchen, comfortable living room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank designfan49
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

I always like to read when guests take advantage of sitting in the restaurant or lounge and on nice days the Patio and enjoy the location and views from the hotel, I believe it adds to the Sylvia experience. We have had great weather this summer and the breeze from the water does a great job cooling down the rooms, as all the windows open wide most guests love the fresh air vs. the forced air from A/C units. I really hope that you will be back next year. Thank-you for your great comments about the service and cleanliness of the hotel, we work hard to exceed guests expectations in a hotel that is over 102 years old.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We chose the Sylvia because we had spotted it during a previous visit to Vancouver and were impressed by its quiet waterfront location and charming ivy covered exterior. It was perfect for our needs. We had three rooms (for 3 couples of 3 generations) including one corner suite with kitchen and sitting room. The path along the sea wall towards False Creek is both scenically beautiful and entertaining (for people watching) and can be taken as a run or an amble. I had a swim at the beach just across the road from the hotel but it was very cold at 12C and the water clarity was poor.
We rarely eat at hotel restaurants but chose to on this occasion because of the beautiful view and were impressed by the high quality of the meal. (One gripe would be the lack of a vegetarian option and somewhat limited wine choices.)
We would highly recommend this hotel for those who like charm and quirkiness; also for those who refer to be a little away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre but still within walking distance of most attractions The underground self-parking option was excellent.

1  Thank Marianne W
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

I thought you wrote an excellent review. Other guests will get some great information from your review. I have forwarded your comments about the menu to the food and Beverage Manager. the views are great and the new menu has been a hit with our guests. Please remember to book directly with the hotel when you book your next say with us.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Just the cutest old hotel. Built in 1913, but very updated we enjoyed two queen size beds in a huge room. Comfy beds, nice restaurant, and good price. Clean, easy and perfectly situated on the beach. Wow. And you have to eat a hot dog from Mr. "tube-steak" vendor outside. Phenomenal. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

I really liked your Title, "What a dream" love that , after all we do sell sleep. We have so many room types to fit all needs. Some rooms are oversized and others are smaller than some hotel rooms, however they are all spotless and clean and all over 102 years old. Please call the hotel directly to discuss room size and best rates. Thanks for staying at the Sylvia and I know you will be back. (I had a hot dog from across the street for lunch myself today).

Reviewed 17 August 2014

It was a great three nights in this very old comfortable historic hotel. Smallest rooms are too small for two but for us the next size up was just cozy right for us. Great location across the street from English Bay where you can take a leisurely walk, watch the sunset and take a short walk to a variety of small casual restaurants. Try the España for great Tapas and good wine. Tasty. The restaurant is so small you could walk right past it like we did. Take a pleasant walk from the hotel to Stanley park where you can have a special lunch or dinner at the upscale Fish House. You can hop on the public buss close by and check out downtown where there are all sorts of great restaurants.

Room Tip: get a room facing English Bay
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

The Sylvia Hotel does have a number of room sizes as we are not your cookie cutter hotel where all the rooms are the same. In fact you could stay with us for two weeks in different rooms and have a different experience depending on what you need for space and if you need a kitchen or would like a view. Thank-you for your rating and scores we appreciate your input. The last time I counted we had 65 restaurants in the area so if you want to try something different (after eating in our restaurant of course) you will have a lot to choose from. We hope to see you again soon.