“Wondered what I would find”

Atrium Inn Vancouver
Ranked #58 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
San Jose, California
“Wondered what I would find”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I drove from Vancouver airport and the sat nav system took me via Vancouver city centre and along West & East Hastings Street. I have travelled the World and seen many sights however I have never seen so many homeless, drug addicts lining the street. I have to be honest I was thinking what have I done booking a hotel on such a street. Thankfully as I got nearer the hotel the area changed and was only slightly dodgy rather than down right dodgy.

The hotel didn't look much from the outside but I parked the car in the secure gated car park and took the elevator to reception. The hotel staff were excellent and I was allocated a room at the back of the hotel. The room was large and included a king size bed and settee. However the downside was that it was dark, the weather didn't help, and the lighting in the room was very poor. On the good side once the clouds lifted the view was spectacular looking over the mountains.

The room was quiet and the bed comfortable and the internet was free. The free breakfast was a typical North American buffet of cereals, bread and muffins along with tea and coffee.

The internet was rather erratic and the hotel had to call the provider to sort it out. The staff were very helpful and the situation was sorted out very quickly.

Room Tip: Always look to stay in a room at the back away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Neil F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 September 2011

It's a holiday inn express and that's exactly what it is. It has a distinct feel of a ramada inn (slightly cheaper hotel) that was renovated 80% of the way. For example, the balconies are forgotten and completely bare. The big plus of this place is it s clean, cheap for Vancouver and they have an amazing free shuttle service that takes you to the big attractions. Oh and breakfast is included. A thumbs up overall. This hotel is out of the way, but vc is a small city so its an easy 10 min drive into the center.

• Stayed May 2011
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2011

As a senior woman travelling alone I would like to say that while I was a guest of HI Express at 2889 East Hastings I felt well looked after. The staff was very attentive to my needs and I felt safe and secure while a guest there. The room I was assigned was clean and comfortable and I was well rested on my awakening each morning.
I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely being staying there again on my next trip to Vancouver.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed one night in this hotel. The public areas are well kept and staff were friendly.
Don't expect any privacy as the walls are paper thin to sound AND movement! I was awakened by our bed actually moving from the activity in the room next to us (not to mention the accompanying audio!) Furniture was well worn and in need of replacement. TV stand was literally falling apart!
Continental breakfast included. I would not stay here again, and would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
omaha
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We had a very pleasant 4 day stay at this hotel which is deserving of a compliment. 100% of the staff (everyone from the front desk, maids, janitors, maintenance people, security, etc.) at this hotel would stop what they were doing, look you in the eye and happily greet and acknowledge your presence or offer help. After realizing this event we went looking to find the exception anywhere we could and came up with nothing to counter the 100%.
This made the stay very enjoyable as the hotel and rooms were very clean, but the need of a renovation was forgotten in the smiles! Thanks, Omaha NE.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the back.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank redomaha
Netherlands
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed here for two nights in September. This is a very nice hotel. Be sure to ask for a room at the back, away from East Hastings street.
Staff is very helpfull. We wanted to extend our stay, it wasn't possible at the moment we asked but later that night we received a phonecall from the frontdesk. There was room for us but we already made a reservation with another hotel. We really appreciated the phonecall.
Too bad it isn't possbible to walk to downtown, the distance is just too long and you have to pass a dodgy neighbourhood.
On the first night we had dinner in the Pressbox. Food was good and the atmosphere was nice.
If we return to Vancouver we would stay again in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask a room at the back.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DixieNetherlands
sharps chapel, tn
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Recently we had an opportunity to stay at the hotel. Everything was to standard, and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We confirmed with the hotel desk staff that there was a courtesy shuttle to the airport when we arrived. We had to leave at 6 AM to get to the airport in time to catch our flight. The night before, when we were arranging for the shuttle we were informed that it did not leave that early. There was no documentation concerning the shuttle times, and when previously calling the hotel to ask if they definately had an airport shutte, no one ever told me that there were certain hours that the shuttle ran. We asked to speak to a manager, and Mr. David Goguen, the General Manager, met with us. He was very apologetic, and was more than willing to help. He confirmed there was nothing indicating the times the shuttle ran, He went above and beyond his management team, and arranged for "special" complimentary transportation to the airport for us. This type of service is what we always expect from Holiday Inn.

On an added note: The hotel is right on a bus line, making it very convenient to hop on the bus to get to town.

Room Tip: We had a very nice, large, clean, room. Absolutely no compaints!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple