I picked this hotel because I was on a tight budget, wanted to be downtown, and wanted to park my car at the hotel without paying an extra $35.
Although I typically gravitate toward 3-4 star lodging, given my limited funds for the weekend, and the small amount of time I planned to be in the hotel (I really just needed a place for me and my car to sleep), I girded my loins and made plans to slum it at the Tropicana Motor Inn.
The Tropicana is a place I remembered walking by during other visits to Vancouver (what a great city!), as the awful looking dive in a fantastic location. From its looks, I'd always assumed it was low-income housing. I think I'm right about that, but it's also a low income hotel.
Bottom line: I was absolutely thrilled with how much I got, for what I paid. This place has gobs of value oozing out of it.
I tried to book directly through the front desk, but was told there weren't rooms available (it was a festival weekend). I then went to Priceline, planning to bid on downtown hotels, but found that Priceline was offering a room at the Tropicana...score!
I was given a room on an upper floor, and by "room" I mean: a bedroom, a living room, bathroom and kitchen. Space galore at a very bargain price. It's a small furnished apartment that is being rented out as a hotel room.
Oh, the views were to die for! The best city views I have had in my life. Being a corner apartment, there were large windows that faced south, west and north, and with the windows open, the breezes ripped through the apartment necessitating holding the interior door open with a book/brick. How absolutely refreshing on a summer's day. Incredible ventilation, and such a wonderful change from the sealed windows in most hotels.
The views (at least from the upper floors), the breezes, the cost (which includes parking), and the location cannot be beat by any other hotel in Vancouver.
Other good things:
Wooden hangers- which I totally would not have expected.
Good enough bedside tables and reading lamps.
The kitchen is basic, and a bit worn looking, but clean. It comes with a four burner stove, oven, midi-fridge, microwave and coffee maker. I think it would be doable, but challenging, to cook family meals there; sort of like travel-trailer cooking.
Even at the bargain price, the room came with soap, shampoo, a hair dryer, and better-than-the-cheapest toilet paper.
Shall I mention again, how very, very terrific the location is? So terrific! Right in the thick of things on Robson.
Not so good:
Parking is limited, and there was only one open space when I arrived in the afternoon. I don't know how they handle parking overflow.
The bed was a bit too firm for my liking (I do like soft beds), and the pillows too thick and firm for my comfort.
Housekeeping could have been a bit better: I found a bobby-pin next to the bed, and the carpet is spotted. (But the bathroom was sparkly clean, although honestly, I don't recall much sparkle.)
But no leftover hairs, no bedbugs.
My next trip to Vancouver, even with a thicker wallet, I'm going to make a high-floor, corner room at the Tropicana my first choice. However, I don't think I would be nearly as enthusiastic if the room had been on a lower floor. As I booked through Priceline, I think I just lucked out about the room assignment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tropicana Suite Hotel is located in the heart of Downtown Vancouver and in the middle of the lively Robson Street shopping and entertainment district within walking distance of all Downtown shopping, theatres, many excellent restaurants, cafes, English Bay and Stanley Park. All guest suites are one bedroom units featuring a living room with a sofa bed and kitchenette. Hotel facilities include an indoor heated pool, sauna, laundry facilities and limited complimentary guest parking.• View the majestic North Shore mountains• Ideally located in the heart of downtown Vancouver and the West End• 74 spacious one bedroom suites accommodating up to four adults• Easy walking distance of virtually everything• Heated indoor pool and sauna• Restaurants, shopping, theatres and parks just blocks away from hotel ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Cancelon so you can book your Tropicana Suite Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropicana Motor Hotel Vancouver
- Tropicana Hotel Vancouver
- Tropicana Motel Vancouver