“So much space”

Tropicana Suite Hotel
Ranked #79 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 12 May 2013

After 5 weeks of travel with one person it was nice to be in this spacious hotel room (apartment) for 3 nights. The separate living room meant that I could potter around in the morning without annoying my companion who liked to sleep in. The kitchenette meant that if we were staying longer we could have made our own meals, although not necessary on Robson st. Location was perfect, our favourite street in Vancouver. The staff were friendly and happily extended our booking by a night, only charging us slightly more than what we paid on bookings.com.

The rooms however were a bit dated making it seem unclean even though it probably wasn't. The elevator was slow and it was quite noisy outside on Friday and Saturday night. The views weren't quite as spectacular as we had had the previous week across the road at empire landmark. However given the option of tropicana or empire we would probably choose tropicana again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kelly C

Reviewed 27 December 2012

I picked this hotel because I was on a tight budget, wanted to be downtown, and wanted to park my car at the hotel without paying an extra $35.

Although I typically gravitate toward 3-4 star lodging, given my limited funds for the weekend, and the small amount of time I planned to be in the hotel (I really just needed a place for me and my car to sleep), I girded my loins and made plans to slum it at the Tropicana Motor Inn.

The Tropicana is a place I remembered walking by during other visits to Vancouver (what a great city!), as the awful looking dive in a fantastic location. From its looks, I'd always assumed it was low-income housing. I think I'm right about that, but it's also a low income hotel.

Bottom line: I was absolutely thrilled with how much I got, for what I paid. This place has gobs of value oozing out of it.

I tried to book directly through the front desk, but was told there weren't rooms available (it was a festival weekend). I then went to Priceline, planning to bid on downtown hotels, but found that Priceline was offering a room at the Tropicana...score!

I was given a room on an upper floor, and by "room" I mean: a bedroom, a living room, bathroom and kitchen. Space galore at a very bargain price. It's a small furnished apartment that is being rented out as a hotel room.

Oh, the views were to die for! The best city views I have had in my life. Being a corner apartment, there were large windows that faced south, west and north, and with the windows open, the breezes ripped through the apartment necessitating holding the interior door open with a book/brick. How absolutely refreshing on a summer's day. Incredible ventilation, and such a wonderful change from the sealed windows in most hotels.

The views (at least from the upper floors), the breezes, the cost (which includes parking), and the location cannot be beat by any other hotel in Vancouver.

Other good things:

Wooden hangers- which I totally would not have expected.

Blackout curtains.

Good enough bedside tables and reading lamps.

The kitchen is basic, and a bit worn looking, but clean. It comes with a four burner stove, oven, midi-fridge, microwave and coffee maker. I think it would be doable, but challenging, to cook family meals there; sort of like travel-trailer cooking.

Even at the bargain price, the room came with soap, shampoo, a hair dryer, and better-than-the-cheapest toilet paper.

Shall I mention again, how very, very terrific the location is? So terrific! Right in the thick of things on Robson.

Not so good:

Parking is limited, and there was only one open space when I arrived in the afternoon. I don't know how they handle parking overflow.

The bed was a bit too firm for my liking (I do like soft beds), and the pillows too thick and firm for my comfort.

Housekeeping could have been a bit better: I found a bobby-pin next to the bed, and the carpet is spotted. (But the bathroom was sparkly clean, although honestly, I don't recall much sparkle.)
But no leftover hairs, no bedbugs.

My next trip to Vancouver, even with a thicker wallet, I'm going to make a high-floor, corner room at the Tropicana my first choice. However, I don't think I would be nearly as enthusiastic if the room had been on a lower floor. As I booked through Priceline, I think I just lucked out about the room assignment.

Room Tip: A major part of the pleasure of staying here were the incredible 270+ degree views from a high level...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank 133travels
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I'll keep it brief b/c I think I'd echo a lot of the other reviews. We were in a front corner on the 11th floor and the view from the sitting room and bedroom were amazing! We only stayed for a night but there's plenty of room to spread out if you were there for longer. We didn't have a car and walked about 6 blocks from the train station. We easily walked to Stanley Park, walked to dinner and the waterfront. We watched the sunset from the bedroom and it could not have been a better view for $100/night. The carpet and some of the furnishings are pretty tired, but my main concern was the sliding glass doors opening onto a faux balcony with rusty railings and no screen. We don't have kids, but I would think this could make a parent pretty nervous!

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JerseyGirl5781
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This is a fantastic location in Vancouver. We had a room on the 10th floor with a view of the harbor which we enjoyed very much. There is also parking on the premises, which is very helpful. We were able to walk to almost anywhere downtown from our apartment. The front desk gave us great information about restaurants nearby.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, including the ladies who cleaned our rooms each day.
The reason I am giving this a 3 rating, is that the hotel needs to invest a bit in renovations. For example, I had to fetch an iron downstairs, and it was in a really bad condition (basically broken). I had to cart it all the way up and take it back again as there is none provided in the rooms.
The kitchen was sparsely equipped, with no kettle (so you have to use the microwave to heat water). the furniture can do with a bit of a re-upholstery.
So although everything was spotless and clean, we think the hotel charges a bit too much for what it offers (despite the location). However, we recommend this especially for a longer stay (we were there for about one week).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbor and also on the top floors to enable you to have an excelle...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2012

While this all suite hotel is a bit dated in decoration & furnishings it is very well situated on Robson St. and has free onsite parking which makes it a very attractive downtown choice. Lots to eat, see & do nearby. Easy to walk to the waterfront and walking a little further brings you to Stanley Park.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This inn and suite was a total surprise and very clean. You enter the room through a long hallway and to the left is a living room with a kitchenette off to the left of that. There’s not much one can do in the kitchenette except make tea or toast or for a small family there’s a fridge so breakfast is an option. There are so many great restaurants in this downtown that there's no reason to eat in. The bathroom to the right of the hallway is a good size with all the necessary amenities. The large bed was comfortable with lots of room to move around it and a good size closet. There’s also plenty of storage space so if you plan on staying for a long term. We stayed in the Tropicana in Vancouver, BC for a Friday and Saturday night in mid September. The hotel is very conveniently located on Robson Street in the downtown area. It’s close to Stanley Park, the Art Museum, the shops and high end stores and just about anywhere one wants to walk. Vancouver is a walkers’ heaven and I love to walk! The water taxis will take you from one peninsula to another and there's so much to see and explore in this wonderful city. The weather was perfect, no heat or humidity but every day in the 70's as well as nights.

The only drawback is that the hotel elevator can be bit rickety (I hit the 9th floor but the door wouldn’t open when it got there so I went down to the lobby and back up again and this time the door opened on the 9th floor). Also the rooms facing the street are noisy with pedestrians and traffic running all night into the early hours of the morning. The bedroom's casement windows are not noise proof so it was a bit difficult to fall asleep, The views on the higher floors are spectacular.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back of the hotel for some quiet
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jostravels42
Reviewed 13 August 2012

As others note, redecoration is long overdue. Upholstery is dirty and worn; the carpet is horrible; there's this musty odor. But it's spacious, has a small kitchen and is walking distance to Stanley Park in one direction and the Vancouver Art Gallery and Heritage District in the other. The bed is comfortable, the linens are clean, and the bathroom functions. Personnel were kind and accommodating. I can't imagine recommending it to anyone, but it was the cheapest place available Downtown, and free parking was included.

Room Tip: Since there's no A/C, you'll want a room on the north side--away from the street--for both c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple