“Only if you are really desperate!”

Tropicana Suite Hotel
Ranked #80 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Australia
“Only if you are really desperate!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hovel that masquerades as a "hotel" is likely the worst place you will hopefully NEVER stay!

A filthy foyer (with a matching floor) "welcomes" you!
Disappear in the stifling corridor, on the way to the lift ( also with putrid carpet) and emerge at your floor, with not a breath of air. BEWARE : no air conditioning.

Disgusting, filthy telephone...with a telephone book to match! I was mindful, not to walk on any floor without shoes.

There is apparently a sauna in the hotel...but you will not need to go there, as you will likely sweat away 5 lbs in your first hours in your room/ suite!

Yes, there is a kitchen! Possibly the original one from about 60 ( or more) years ago. However, absolutely no charm here; more like "third world" standard.

Furniture and all soft furnishings are depressing and very dingy! I could not bring myself to sit on the lounge suite, it was so dirty...and creepy! It is conveniently, a dull, patterned fabric...perfect for the owners to ignore cleaning for maybe, three for so decades. Disgusting! Stained, torn curtains likely about 50 years old!

I gave a one-star rating, as the bathroom, kitchen and the bed sheets ( very thin) were clean...though I could not bring myself to eat in the place...so never used the kitchen.
Plus they had free wifi ( which thankfully enabled me to book the extra two nights accommodation , I required, at a "real" hotel!)

I virtually just showered, slept in the bed...after removing the creepy bed cover...and checked out, avoiding touching surfaces.
Oh, there is a good view too, if you have a very high floor, as I did. ( There was moment, though, when "suicide" crossed my mind!)

Oh, also... the dining-chairs had "sticky" arms...once again, contributing to a revolting stay here.

Pure arrogance of the owners to present accommodation in such appalling condition...and at such a price.

I asked for a fan, after discovering my room was a "sweat-box" ( on a hot late July day) but was told there was none. They really did not care whatsoever. (They had my money! I had prepaid through on-line agency.)

I paid more than $159, for the one (horrid) night here; this is about $129 more than this accommodation is worth, given the filth...and lack of very basic, "creature comforts!"

DO NOT even consider this hotel, even in an emergency... until they make significant, well-overdue improvements!

A sorely neglected DUMP!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank frequentsinglediner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had a relaxing stay in a spacious One-Bedroom Suite with kitchenette (coffeemaker, fridge, cooking range). It has a room with 2 twin beds and a sofa bed in the living room, which has a ceiling to floor glass windows for a great view outside. The location is great, in the major street in Downtown Vancouver, with restaurants, shops, parks, beach, cruise terminal within walking distance. The staff were excellent, very attentive to our needs, specially Carlos and Zoeb.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank HENRICH11
John H, Manager at Tropicana Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I’d like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Tropicana Suites Hotel, Vancouver and for taking the time to post your review regarding your relaxing stay with us.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the staff exceeded your expectations. I will personally pass your comments onto Carlos and Zoeb, who I’m sure will both be thrilled to know they provided excellent customer service and helped make your stay an exceptional one.

I would like to thank you for continuing to recommend the Tropicana Suites Hotel, Vancouver to colleagues, family and friends & we look forward to seeing you again when next visiting Vancouver.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This old hotel was probably converted from apartments. It needs an update badly, but due to it's location and price may be worth looking into. It is located over a restaurant, so the noise level is on the high side with thee windows open and It is roomy and has a laundry mat in the basement. I probably would opt for a more upscale place next time, but its OK.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peterstuart75
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Tropicana Suites Hotel, Vancouver and for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read your stay with us wasn’t an exceptional one. Our hotel is located on Robson Street which is one of the busiest and liveliest areas in the city, therefore will be slightly noisy, however as we are a property with 13 floors, next time we could allocate you a room higher up. It is true the hotel is above a very popular restaurant however this closes at 10pm daily.

We are also working on renovations for the Hotel.

Once again thank you for your review. We hope you will give us another chance when next visiting Vancouver, and if so, please do contact myself before hand and i can attempt to make your stay a highly enjoyable one.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The gentleman on reception asked me to post a review as I was checking out, here goes. I stayed here for a few days on business in stunning Vancouver and came across this hotel online. Initially after reading reviews I was sceptical. In all honesty for the price you pay, the location and the size of the rooms this hotel is good! This hotel is not a five star where you will get luxury but it does provide good quality value accomodation in downtown Vancouver. The only negative point is the fact the hotel does look slightly outdated and could do we a renovation! However, When and if I do return to Vancouver I'd be happy to stay at tropicana once again.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Zoeb M
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your helpful review in regards to your recent stay with us at the Tropicana Suites Hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay in beautiful Vancouver; however I was even happier to read your experience at our hotel was a positive one.
We take great pride in our establishment and it is nice to read you felt you got excellent value for money. We pride ourselves on our property and its location.

We are currently working hard in the refurbishment of our property and slowly but surely our renovations are nearing completion.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Tropicana Suites Hotel in the near future.

Washington, the State
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our one night stay was ok - everything functioned (bathroom, kitchen) and most of the lights.
The bed was ok - we could have used another blanket. Very spacious suite, great views from the 11th floor. It was quiet and we had a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: We liked the 11th floor; quiet and good views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to publish a review regarding your stay at the Tropicana Suites Hotel, Vancouver.

It is feedback such as yours which enables us to improve the property as well as customer service.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The location, views and the size of our suites are something we are very proud of and we believe is something unique in comparison with our competitors.

In regards to an extra blanket we do provide them upon request.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you at the Tropicana Suites Hotel when next visiting Vancouver.

Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is an old hotel and the rooms look old but they where clean enough. If you are looking for a hotel in a good location for shopping and eating. Also walking distance to the waterfront, Canada line and Sea bus and don't expect a 5 star hotel for a little over $100. a night, then this is the place. I had the 12th floor with a great view and will stay there again next trip to Vancouver.

Room Tip: Corner room on the 12th floor!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank highlander115
JBrahim, Manager at Tropicana Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review and I am on behalf of the entire team of Tropicana hotel very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We are working harder to make all the suite very comfortable and I am also please to let everyone know that we have upgraded our Wi-Fi service for all the rooms.

We hope to see you soon again in Vancouver.

Tropicana Hotel Team
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

It's so hard to know where to start. Let's begin with the positives:

- The size of the suite
- The location of the suite
- Free parking on-site
- Coin-operated laundry on-site

Suites are large with a bedroom and separate living area, separate bathroom and a small kitchen.

Location is excellent on Robson Street with restaurants and shopping in every direction.

Free parking on-site was suitable and actually a perk during our disappointing stay.

And now for the negatives:

Absolutely everything else.

Literally, this place is a dump. I will not set foot in this place again. And it is a very expensive dump -- at 139 CAD per night, I was not expecting such a dirty, disgusting excuse for a 'hotel'. I documented with pictures some of what I am talking about -- I urge anyone who is thinking of staying here to look at those.

Here is the short list of the biggest problems we observed:
- Unclean: This place is just dirty. They do maid service every day, but some things (like the ancient, stained sofa) are stained brown with dirt and can't be cleaned. Plus . . . even things that are regularly cleaned like the bathroom and the bed linens always had hair left there by 'someone'. I can only assume it came from the maid . . . or someone else, who really nows. But the hairs found in our sheets and in our bathroom were medium-length black hairs. I don't have black hair. My husband doesn't have black hair.
- Poor Quality/Holes Everywhere: Everything was just literally covered in holes . . . the bedspread had a huge hole in it, the lamp shades have holes, the couch (which I would not be surprised is an original from the 60's) was dirty and full of holes in the upholstery, the curtains were full of holes . . . everything is just old and very, very badly maintained. The light in the kitchen also didn't work at all.
- Cost: Cost is not a problem if the quality is worth it, but with the above comments, I was sorely disappointed.

Other negatives, but less severe:
- Elevator: There are two elevators but suspiciously one of them never goes anywhere unless you tell it to go 'up' from inside the elevator. For a hotel with 12 floors and basically 1 working elevator (that is very slow), there was always a long wait for the elevator
- General Quality of Room: You can tell they tried to 'renovate', which means a shoddy wallpaper job and a dab of fresh paint, but the wallpaper is peeling in many places and the current state is of general low quality.
- Common Areas: The common areas (hallways, elevator, etc) are also stained and often dirty (trash on the floor, etc)
- Security w/ Luggage: If you ask to store your luggage, they will throw it in a pile near the desk and ask you to retrieve it when you get back -- no claim tag or anything to prevent someone from taking your bag.
- Kitchen: Kitchen was badly stocked (and the entire place was so unclean, I was really hesitant to use anything from the kitchen, so we tried to keep it simple). The freezer didn't actually freeze anything (not sure what was wrong, it was set to the coldest setting). The kitchen light didn't work at all. Coffee was not re-stocked after the first day.
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi is terrible (access point was barely reachable from our room on the 10th floor, and when it was connecting, the DNS server randomly worked)'

Overall, I will not step foot here again. There are several hotels within 2 blocks either direction of Robson Street -- look at one of those instead.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank natosha_bard

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels