“Great Value, loads of character, very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Victorian Hotel

Victorian Hotel
Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Canberra, Australia
“Great Value, loads of character, very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great Value, loads of character, very friendly staff

I stayed at the Victorian Hotel for 10 days in mid February. Together with my partner and two friends we shared room 23 on the first floor. Although the rooms weren’t massive, they were more than large enough for four adults. The rooms were very clean, the beds extremely comfortable and the cleaners did a great job of maintaining our room.

Although many of the reviews on this site have mentioned that there is a salvation army across the road, there was no noise or any reason that this would be a bad thing. The Hotel is actually situated in a great spot, two minutes down the road is trendy Gastown and plenty of restaurants. And in the opposite direction is the main Downtown centre.

Breakfast is served every morning with fresh bread, toast, bagels, cereal, fruit and coffee and tea. For the price of the nightly rate, the friendliness of the staff, and the character of the rooms we were all very happy indeed.

We also had shared bathrooms that were kept quite clean although could get a little wet in the morning after everyone had their showers.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Vancouver.

Thanks to Cassie and the rest of the staff who we really made us feel at home and we got to know during our stay.

Room Tip: Room 23 had good views from the bay windows and isn't right next to the shared bathrooms. Very q...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank DigitalElise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We booked this hotel in order to attend a sporting event at B. C. Place. It was only a few minutes walk from the stadium as well as a number of quick food options. Given the affordable price we were very pleasantly surprised by the nice, comfortable rooms. If you're used to every possible amenity and convenience at one of the major chain hotels, it might not live up to your expectations, but we loved it. The beds and pillows were very good quality and very comfortable. The only concern I would voice is about accessibility. There did not appear to be an elevator although since we were on the first floor, I didn't need it. There are also steep stairs to access the front door. I would not recommend this hotel for someone with mobility issues.

All of my basics - tv with cable, wireless internet, free continental breakfast, clean modern fixtures and finishes - were met. I will definitely book this hotel again on my next trip to Vancouver.

Room Tip: We liked the main floor room facing the street, and did not find the street noise a problem.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank SCRinBham
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Vancouver beckoned last weekend! Got a fabulous WestJet seat sale (first time flying with them - awesome), and headed to BC! Booked on line asking for a boutique hotel within walking distance to theatre district, gastown, and got lucky! The Victorian is shabby chic in the lobby, with its quaint little breakfast room, (yes, continental breakfast was included)... but the reception and service was FIRST CLASS all the way! In my two days there, I dealt with our separate individuals at the desk - all of them wonderfuly accommodating, cheerful, and helpful. The room was elegant, featuring high ceilings, good lighting, two double beds with wonderful fluffy white mattresses and linens, lots of sitting space (with bay window), flat screen tv, separate marble bathroom with ext vanity, and soaker tub, large closet and even robes! If you're not looking for amenities (pool, sauna, etc) and want a comfortable, well-situated and easily accessible hotel (30 by cab from the airport - not in rush hour mind you), this is the place! Will go back for sure!

Room Tip: I was given a choice of two rooms - both off the lobby - one was noisier. I chose the quiet one (sti...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Lyse F
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed for 1 night and was quite surprised about this little boutique hotel. I had the deluxe room which was clean and comfortable. I enjoyed my stay and this was a indeed rare find in the heart of downtown vancouver!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bacsweet
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed in a deluxe king room in August 2011 for 3 nights. The room was on a corner on the second floor overlooking two busy streets. Someone did help us up the stairs with our baggage, which i greatly appreciated, The traffic noise did not bother us, though it might bother some people. There were renovations going on---rebuilding the front steps--but it was not really a problem for us. Our room was spacious and nice and clean, the decor quirky mix of old and new furnishings.

There was a coffee maker but no coffee was provided until the third day, when the houskeeper made a point of letting us know she was giving us some. I had a feeling she did not want to clean the coffeemaker each day, and therefore did not provide coffee. Pure speculation on my part.

Breakfast was not very appetizing, except for a lot of fresh blueberries and a large bowl of yogurt and some rolls. I like to know the fat content of yogurt because of dietary issues, but that was an unknown. Coffee was OK, not great, and as others have pointed out, the conditions for dining are extremely cramped, and totally inadequat for the number of guests.

The location on the edge of Gastown, is great; I am not sure I would stay again unless the price was better than what we paid) (we paid C$175.00 per night and $15. night for parking). We were on vacation.

There were several computers available for guest use, and we appreciated this as we had not brought our own

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Theos_leftluggage
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I enjoyed my stay in the Victorian. It's a beautiful old building and it's centrally located with Gastown, Chinatown and Yaletown within reach. Room was clean and comfortable, as were the shared bathrooms/showers.

There were a few weird quirks, though, probably due to the age of the building. My room had a desk with a coffee maker on it, but no plug nearby. I had to balance the coffeemaker on the (tiny) TV to get close enough to an outlet. Also, I spent 3 nights and my bed was never made/changed and my room was never cleaned. Not a huge deal, as I don't need clean sheets every night, but I ran out of towels and coffee after the 2nd morning. The cleaning staff finally stopped by late on the 3rd afternoon, but I was in the room resting from my busy day and so I just sent them on their way.

Overall, I would recommend the Victorian as long as you don't need anything fancy and aren't expecting turn-down service and chocolates on your pillow.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo