“Wonderful experience!”

Ranked #39 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Friends recommended the Victorian Hotel to my wife and I. From the moment we walked in until our check out it was simply a fantastic experience. The hotel is in a great location. Close to Gastown, and Coal Harbor. The staff was really friendly and gave us free bikes to tour around Stanley Park. The free breakfast was a treat as we got to chat with other guests and learn about the sights. But the room is what sealed the deal! It was huge with bay windows and comfy furniture, a sitting area and the most inviting bed we have ever slept in. I didn’t want to leave. This hotel is unique, not like a franchise and offers a memorable and wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The one with the bay windows :-)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Hotel is an old hotel that has been renovated very well. Old style rooms, with antique furniture and the most comfortable beds and pillows I've seen in awhile. The location at Homer and Dunsmuir/Pender in the Vancouver downtown area is extremely convenient to restaurants, theatres, and a short walk to Gastown. Not much for amenities, but the rates were very reasonable and my stay there was excellent. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg M
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

I booked this place because we like nice small hotels that has personality. And they do. I like how they keep the old building clean and fill up with nice antique furnitures.

Unfortunately, one receptionist lady was not nice enough to point out a parking spot. The public parking next door she mentioned didn't open the gate (The security guy of the parking through the intercom said they are only for employees of that building, not for customer or public.) so I asked her again if the building is right, or there is a certain system to park there. And she said, "What? What do you mean you can't park? I don't know, pay! I'm not working for a parking lot." with a very irritating looking. (maybe because I was not a native English speaker and that annoyed her, or just because I'm Asian. Wait, that sounds even worse!)

First of all, we do pay for our parking when we need to.
Secondary, you are not working for a parking lot but you are for the hotel. You have to introduce it right, otherwise your customers are not even able to check in!
And you said "you don't know"? We had just arrived there from Seattle, with a cranky 2 year old crying most of the driving, how on earth were we supposed to know better than you?

In an unfamiliar neighborhood, we took over an hour to find a secure public parking that we can park over night, with helps of nice people on a street.

After I mentioned "manager" at checking in, the lady offered us an upgraded room for the night.

You have to know that we didn't want a nicer room, we needed a better service (or even just a right introduction to a parking spot at least.)

The hotel itself has its original mood. I just wish I had a nicer experience with other clerks. I really wanted to like it.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank momoconleche
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Momoconleche,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your Trip Advisor comment. To start, I wish to offer our sincerest apologies to you and your family. I know only too well how frustrating it must be to finally arrive at your destination, only to hear that you still have to find secure parking. The fact that there were two options within a block of the hotel is of little comfort if one is full and the other has closed for the evening. I have to believe that our front desk agent was caught off guard by that as well. When we learned that our on-site lot was going to be closed, we took every conceivable measure to alert our registered guests, from e-mails and phone calls, to OTA alerts. However, even the best laid plans can be undermined by unforeseen circumstances. Nonetheless, we could have done a much better job of handling this issue and directing you to a suitable parking alternative. In the future, we will have a plan-“C”, at least. If I was your two year old I too would have been cranky. And for that sir, I wish to again extend our sincere apologies. And I know that absent the parking experience, you and your family would have indeed liked the stay.
BC Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This property may grow to be a euro shabby chic favourite. I often choose the Sylvia Hotel and therefore can see the potential in this one but...they are under renovation and are at stretched ability staying open at the same time I think. The Sylvia has the sea-wall, this one no real redeaming location but you can walk to Pacific Center, and Harbour Center, Gastown
The awesome:
Nice beds and bedding, skylight in room, lovely furniture, great toiletries, lovely basic remodelled bathrooms, computerr in hallway, wireless, Breakfast has cereal, some pastries, yogurt and fruit, Coffee shop at top of street. Can easily walk from Canada line if you are ambalatory as its a bit uphill. Night staff was friendly.

Not so awesome:
backhoe renovating started outside room at 8 am made doing phone business or sleeping hard, fire alarm went off in the AM, no elevator ..only 2 floors and its not hard but if you are disabled or weak please note. Room was small if you want to stay a while and like to spend some time in the room but I think there are bigger offerings
Breakfast tables not cleaned between guests and I chose a washed coffee cup that was still dirty. Given its a large international city with international guests, table wiping with antiviral or vinegar etc should be important hygene
Its as far east on West Pender as you would want to go if you like to roam around alone at night....definately worth considering the buddy system and chosing streets wisely.
No restaurants very close. One darkly lit one I noted after called Peno. Others are about 4 or 5 blocks away.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GoinPeace
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This property is probably a solid 3.5, but that wasn't an option. Depending on where you search, The Victorian is described as a hotel and a B&B. I'd agree the feel is a bit of a combination of the 2. They have several room types (some with shared bathrooms), so be sure of what you actually booked when you arrive at the hotel. We were checked into the wrong room at first, until I quickly realized it didn't look like the photos I had seen and I asked to change rooms.

The hotel is located in a fairly decent area that is close walking distance to lots of great shopping, food and other Vancouver attractions. However, it is on the fringe of some sketchy areas, so you should be aware of that if you are a first time visitor.

We were in a Luxury Victorian room facing W. Pender. It happened to be a Canucks game night the first night we were there and the noise was unbearable! The windows barely insulate the street noise and it was pretty chaotic till about 4am...and then at about 5am we heard what sounded like gunshots! Sooooo, second night we made sure we had ear plugs. The good news was the area was a lot quieter (no game), but the noise from the street was still very loud. You can also hear guests in other rooms.

The room we had was a decent size and had a nicely renovated bathroom, and some cool furniture. There wasn't a single bit of info about the Hotel or anything else right in the room, but we did notice they had some brochures in the lobby area. They don't seem to promote the "green" programs that other hotels do...like encouraging guests to hang up their towels if they want to reuse them. We hung ours up, but they had been replaced (minus one) when the room was cleaned. We didn't leave a note though, so fair enough. They may want to consider the towel reuse program.

The continental breakfast was pretty basic and the breakfast area quite crowded. The small, but secure parking area was tight and off a back alley. They had free wireless. There was no A/C. No elevators.

We're not entirely sure if we'd stay again, but the price was pretty good and the location is great if you are familiar with Vancouver, and know where to go and where you may not want to walk past dark. I'm sure the hotel staff would offer assistance in this regard.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you will probably want to avoid rooms facing W. Pender. There is no elev...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here and we were greeted warmly each and every time we came in. We were given a map for what restaurants to eat at and where to visit. The sheets were superb, the complimentary robe was immaculate. It was centrally located within walking distance of everything in Vancouver. The breakfasts filled us and satisfied us
We would recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank melkiemor
Pitt Meadows, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Best value!
Lovely room with king size bed. Excellent location.
We went to the wine festival and walked back after, no taxi required!
Hotel parking is limited but is secure and for $15, it is worth requesting.

Room Tip: Choose king bed with bathroom. They do have rooms with shared bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple