“2 stays - 1st one great 2nd one not so great!”
Review of Victorian Hotel

Victorian Hotel
Ranked #38 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
chorley
“2 stays - 1st one great 2nd one not so great!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed twice during May. First time pre-cruise given a lovely room with it's own bathroom. Promised a nice room on our return post cruise. However, we were allocated a room quite early in the morning which was a plus but.....We were quite taken aback as the room was tiny and it had a tiny portable t.v. and a shared bathroom. As we were going to be out quite a lot of the time we didn't bother to ask to change it. The last night we were there and before a long flight the following day, we heard a continual banging from above until after 11 pm. Eventually we were given another room so we could sleep, a vast improvement to our previous room. Anyway we couldn't appreciate it very much as we were tired and had to leave our items in the other room. On departure the following day, I spoke to the Manager and expressed our disappointment with our second stay. He told me, three times in all, that we couldn't get a room at the YMCA for what we had paid! Obviously his stock answer to complaints. However, I will say that the hotel is exceptionally clean, the breakfast, especially the croissants, are delicious. The bagels are the best I have ever tasted. The guy on reception and the little Spanish girl from Alicante were lovely and helpful too. The sour faced woman on reception needs lessons in customer service and needs to learn how to smile.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get room 26 or 28 - they are tiny but 26 does have a nice wall mounted t.v...
1 Thank dorisday
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Doris Day, I wish to thank you for expressing your version of events. It leaves me speechless.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
brisbane
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This hotel is good value for money and our room was very comfortable. The old Gas town is only a 5 minute walk away and offers many options for dining. The only down side was the number of drunk and drugged out people roaming shouting out obsenities in nearby streets. The number of young homeless though did pull at my heart strings. The hotel management offer very reasonable priced washing which is very handy when you are travelling on another continent.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends but warn them not to visit the streets to the east of the hotel. Breakfast was good value although not much space to sit down in the dining room.

Room Tip: Don't get a front facing room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Many thanks for your review Shazross. I am certainly happy to hear you had a good stay. I am sorry that you felt some parts of the neighbourhood were unseemly. Being right downtown means that on any given day one may encounter some colourful types. I am sorry if this had a negative impact on your trip. Personally, I love downtown but perhaps it comes down to what you are familiar with.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have stayed 2 times for before sail Cruise and after ETA in YvR.
When first time stays at the here, they provide single room which is without bathroom.
I did not expect a lot from this hotel.
But I would appreciate if my room had bathroom inside.

Unfortunately, I did not ready to stay room which is outside bathroom.
After 1 week later.
I have stayed here for second time.
Frankly speaking, I was gloomy a little if I should be stay at the small room again.
Once I sleep in room it was a nuisance to go out to bathroom.
So I had to mind to my cystic always during stay in room.
However, they provided big room which inside bathroom when I came back to this hotel.
It was great surprised for me.
That moment felt like an eternity when assign the room.
This assign could be guaranteed for comfortable to stay.
Anyway, hotel interior is very cute and nice décor.
The feel is really BrItish style.
I could stay in a hotel that radiated exoticism for me who came from Southeast Asia.
Here is not luxury hotel but very valuable boutique hotel in my opinion.
I would like to stay again if they could be providing room (inside bathroom).
Is this hotel is valuable or not?
Depend on bathroom.

Room Tip: Avoid to small room. Low floor’s room recommends if you have a big baggages.(No lift in this hotel)
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments sir, I regret that there was a communication issue surrounding your room selection. Just under half our rooms share common bathrooms. These are our economy offering and many people regard them as the best value in town. That said they are not for everyone and I am so glad you ended up with the room type you wanted. Of course now that you know, it will be easy to set you up properly for your next stay. See you then.
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Most things in Vancouver are pretty pricey so this hotel is a good value being a short distance to Gastown and Yaletown. The style is European with high ceilings. The bathroom is down the hall, but there is a sink in the room. The rooms are small and clean. Free breakfast in the morning consisted of yogurt, granola, strawberries, bagels, pastries, and toast. The staff is friendly and it's pretty quiet for being the city. There is parking available behind the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Andrea, thank you so very much for your great review. If you liked our economy rooms, then you will be absolutely blown away by our deluxe rooms. Try one out next time you're in town.
Many thanks again.
Ventura, California
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I also chose this hotel because of the value and was not disappointed. We stayed here two nights before an Alaskan cruise, arriving at 11:30PM. Two women, we had no trouble walking from the City Centre Skytrain station. Chris(I hope I'm remembering his name correctly), the night staff, was very helpful. We liked the quaintness of the rooms and slept very well. Walking distance to Gastown and the city was definitely a plus. The only noise we had was from the street which is to be expected when you're in the city and sleep with the window open. Breakfast was more than sufficient and we did not wait. All in all,a lovely place and I have already recommended it to others. Can't wait to go back myself.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Tereza799, on behalf of Chris and the rest of the staff, we can't thank you enough for such a genuinely flattering review. To receive a comment like yours is high praise indeed and touches all of us. Thank you and we can't wait to see you again.
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This is my first hotel review, even though I had taken this site advice on travel planning several time before.

I stayed at the Victorian earlier this month after disembarking from a cruise. I wanted to spend a few days in Vancouver after the cruise and thought this hotel was in a great location. I like to use public transport when even possible, too, and they are within a couple blocks of several choices, including the Granville Skytrain station. Staff was helpful and knowledgable, pointing me in the right direction and offered a handy map of the area.

Safely was also a concern since I was traveling alone, and I had no fears at this location. I didn't end up going out after dark, but I would have been comfortable taking a taxi back to the hotel after a night out. I felt very secure in my room, front door was also locked after 6:30pm or so (easily to open with the key provided at registration).

I was a little leery about the place because of the lower price point, but decided to book anyway. As it turns out, just the immediate neighborhood was a little rundown, but at no time did I think this fact made my trip any less enjoyable. Vancouver is a beautiful city and I can't wait to visit again.

As for my room, it too was lovely. It had been recently redone, and it was well-appointed, clean and pretty. Brand-new flat screen TV in a lovely armoire, (of course I didn't go to Canada to watch TV).

As for my sleep experience, the bed and pillows were wonderful. Really, like sleeping in a cloud, in fact I would love to find out what line of bedding they use, I want to replicate it. Not much outside noise either, slept like a baby.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Patty I
Patty, we are delighted that your stay with us motivated you to write you first hotel review. And what a wonderful one it is. With respect to your question about the bed; you were sleeping on a Sealy Posturepedic pillow-top mattress. Sweet dreams are made of these...
Thanks again and keep writing!
Tustin, California
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Victorian (Sun, May 12th) one night before we were to embark on our Alaska Cruise. We generally had a wonderful experience. The reviews (from this website), price and location (close to the harbor) was the primary reason why we chose this hotel. Sharing a bathroom and shower was not a concern. First I will note the negatives. Given the historical time it was built, the room was of course small, no air-conditioner, walls paper-thin and the floor creeks when you walk on them. Furthermore, the hotel does not have any elevators, which would have been a problem had our room been higher than the 2nd Floor, (although you can get someone to help you with your luggage if you ask). The little room provided for the continental breakfast was not sufficient for everyone, as there were people waiting to get a seat at 7:30 am, Monday morning. Lastly, the area around the hotel was a little dilapidated. However, we did feel safe walking around nonetheless.

With all that being said, the room was quaint and had a sink and a flat screen TV. We had no problem rolling our luggage down the street to the docks from this hotel. Which saved additional costs for a taxi drive just a few blocks away. The staff was very nice. My wife lost her wedding ring down the sink (moment of panic!) and the next morning the manager was able to fish it out without any trouble. Bottom line, for a good price and a short stay, this place was perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor room if available. Limited space for the continental breakfast, be wary.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dutcher c
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you Dutcher C for taking the time to comment on your stay. Often when people write in I have some doubt about which room they were in. In your case it is clear as I was the one who retrieved your charming wife's wedding band. Those room types are our "double w/shared bath'. They represent our economy offerings and I'm so glad you appreciated the value.
Again, many thanks.