“value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
New Zealand
“value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

The Victorian Hotel is a beautiful boutique hotel in the heart of Vancouver, walking distance to Gas Town, China town and to both train incl sky train from airport and bus stations and cruise ship terminal. It offers a continental breakfast, free internet and value for money. The staff are excellent and only to happy to point you in the right direction. There is coffee making facilities but no tea, not problem just ask and they will bring you a electric jug, milk and tea bags at no extra charge. We had a room with our own bathroom and it was spotlessly clean. If you are staying in Vancouver this is the place to be.

1 Thank jonof
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Dear JONOF, who loves the Kiwis? everyone!
Thank you so very much for your comments. It was truly a pleasure having you with us. Hurry back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The Victorian has beautifully updated rooms (crown molding, marble bath, new windows that open) in a convenient location to Gastown and Yaletown. The price is value all the way in this expensive city. We even started to love the high carb breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose an ensuite instead of a shared bath.
2 Thank bill b
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Bill B, We're over the moon reading comments like yours. Thanks so much and watch those carbs!
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

The Victorian Hotel was ideal for our two night stay in Vancouver. It was reasonably priced and is located only a 5 minute walk to the waterfront train station which makes it perfect for getting around Vancouver. We had a room with a shared bathroom which was not a problem as the bathrooms were large and clean and never in use when we needed them. The room was slightly on the small side considering we had two large suitcases. The breakfast was ok but I liked the decor of the hotel as it had a lot of character.

1 Thank LMaia88
LaMaia88, many thanks for your review, we're so glad you enjoyed your stay. If you like large rooms, you'll love our deluxe offerings. Try one out on your next visit and we'll see you then.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

First time staying and found it very clean and located close to the Queen Elizabeth. Our room was a double shared bathroom, and the room was very small, but met our needs.

I would not want to stay in the summer as even in June our room was very warm and no air-conditioning.

The price was right!

2 Thank travelgirl154945
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Travel Girl, thanks for the comments and we're happy you found good value with us. We do have floor fans in every room and huge windows for air but you're right sometimes A/C would be welcomed.
chorley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed twice during May. First time pre-cruise given a lovely room with it's own bathroom. Promised a nice room on our return post cruise. However, we were allocated a room quite early in the morning which was a plus but.....We were quite taken aback as the room was tiny and it had a tiny portable t.v. and a shared bathroom. As we were going to be out quite a lot of the time we didn't bother to ask to change it. The last night we were there and before a long flight the following day, we heard a continual banging from above until after 11 pm. Eventually we were given another room so we could sleep, a vast improvement to our previous room. Anyway we couldn't appreciate it very much as we were tired and had to leave our items in the other room. On departure the following day, I spoke to the Manager and expressed our disappointment with our second stay. He told me, three times in all, that we couldn't get a room at the YMCA for what we had paid! Obviously his stock answer to complaints. However, I will say that the hotel is exceptionally clean, the breakfast, especially the croissants, are delicious. The bagels are the best I have ever tasted. The guy on reception and the little Spanish girl from Alicante were lovely and helpful too. The sour faced woman on reception needs lessons in customer service and needs to learn how to smile.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get room 26 or 28 - they are tiny but 26 does have a nice wall mounted t.v...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dorisday
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Doris Day, I wish to thank you for expressing your version of events. It leaves me speechless.
brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

This hotel is good value for money and our room was very comfortable. The old Gas town is only a 5 minute walk away and offers many options for dining. The only down side was the number of drunk and drugged out people roaming shouting out obsenities in nearby streets. The number of young homeless though did pull at my heart strings. The hotel management offer very reasonable priced washing which is very handy when you are travelling on another continent.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends but warn them not to visit the streets to the east of the hotel. Breakfast was good value although not much space to sit down in the dining room.

Room Tip: Don't get a front facing room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Many thanks for your review Shazross. I am certainly happy to hear you had a good stay. I am sorry that you felt some parts of the neighbourhood were unseemly. Being right downtown means that on any given day one may encounter some colourful types. I am sorry if this had a negative impact on your trip. Personally, I love downtown but perhaps it comes down to what you are familiar with.
バンコク
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have stayed 2 times for before sail Cruise and after ETA in YvR.
When first time stays at the here, they provide single room which is without bathroom.
I did not expect a lot from this hotel.
But I would appreciate if my room had bathroom inside.

Unfortunately, I did not ready to stay room which is outside bathroom.
After 1 week later.
I have stayed here for second time.
Frankly speaking, I was gloomy a little if I should be stay at the small room again.
Once I sleep in room it was a nuisance to go out to bathroom.
So I had to mind to my cystic always during stay in room.
However, they provided big room which inside bathroom when I came back to this hotel.
It was great surprised for me.
That moment felt like an eternity when assign the room.
This assign could be guaranteed for comfortable to stay.
Anyway, hotel interior is very cute and nice décor.
The feel is really BrItish style.
I could stay in a hotel that radiated exoticism for me who came from Southeast Asia.
Here is not luxury hotel but very valuable boutique hotel in my opinion.
I would like to stay again if they could be providing room (inside bathroom).
Is this hotel is valuable or not?
Depend on bathroom.

Room Tip: Avoid to small room. Low floor’s room recommends if you have a big baggages.(No lift in this hotel)
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your comments sir, I regret that there was a communication issue surrounding your room selection. Just under half our rooms share common bathrooms. These are our economy offering and many people regard them as the best value in town. That said they are not for everyone and I am so glad you ended up with the room type you wanted. Of course now that you know, it will be easy to set you up properly for your next stay. See you then.