“Made the wedding even more special”
Review of Victorian Hotel

Victorian Hotel
Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Calgary, Canada
“Made the wedding even more special”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

As my daughter was getting married in Vancouver we needed quite a few rooms for the out of town guests, 75% of the guests stayed at the Victorian as well as the bride and groom. From the first meeting to checkout we were treated so well! Thank you for making the wedding even more fun.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the main road, can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank stephenavenue
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Stephenavenue, it was a pleasure for all of us to contribute a little more fun to your family wedding. You have a wonderful flock. Congrats to you and Samantha et al and we sure look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Helix, OR
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We only got to stay here for one night and wish it were for more. It was a "romantic" weekend celebration for our birthday and we were looking for a place that was special, well located, clean, but not horribly expensive. The Victorian Hotel filled all those requirements. Our room was lovely, modern with antique (isn?) furniture with a great, comfortable bed, plush towels and a really great shower. My husband also commented on how he liked the shower head and the faucet designs. The clerk who checked us in was pleasant and helpful, pointing out local attractions and restaurants. We will hopefully be back. Also, there have been several mentions of poor WiFi service, but ours was great. Since my "smart phone" wouldn't work in Canada, the WiFi was very helpful. Thanks for the recommendation.

Room Tip: Get a private bathroom
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy D
Well thank you so very much Nancy D, your review validates everything we strive for and we really appreciate your comments.
Please visit us again soon.
New Zeakand
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous spot in downtown Vancouver. I can't believe how lovely it was and at such an affordable price. I arrived needing assistance after a skiing injury and Cecile and Brian(?) at the front desk were amazing. They really went out of their way and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are lovely and location is great. Can't recommend enough.

• Stayed March 2014
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
A skiing accident on the first day of your vacation-quelle bummer! But you displayed nothing but positive energy. "Who needs crutches?" Now that's Kiwi spirit! We so look forward to seeing you back and thank you for your kind words, heal well.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We just had a lovely stay at the Victorian for one night. The staff were very accommodating and friendly (example - extra towels from the night clerk, friendly housekeeping staff, stored our overnight bag since we arrived very early before the room was ready).

The hotel room was immaculate and pretty. The Victorian was very, very clean and I check everything upon arrival. It's a smaller size room compared to new hotels, but how much space do two people need for sleep etc?

We were out most of the evening for a Whitecaps season opener (BC Place and GM Place/Rogers Arean are only a 10 min walk) and then in Gastown for late dinner & socializing with friends.

The bed was really comfy and we slept very well. We missed the breakfast because we stayed when there was the Spring Forward time change, and didn't want to get out of bed. You can hear a bit of noise from the hallway when people walk past in the morning but it didn't bother us. We were on the back side of the hotel - so not much street noise.

Also I appreciate that the hotel uses local shampoo and conditioner in wall pump system to decrease waste.

We took public transport (skytrain) from the ferry so I can't comment on parking - although we had a friend meet us for lunch when we arrived in town and he had no problem finding close parkade.

Food tip - Meat and Bread is just around the corner on cambie and makes the best sandwich you've ever had (get the porchetta).

Room Tip: we stayed on second floor/back side of hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Islander1292
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you so very much for your detailed review and kind words Islander1292.A visit with friends and a Whitecaps victory can make for a great little get-away. We love the "too comfy to crawl out of bed" line, it's a fine compliment to us. Many thanks again and please hurry back.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We just enjoyed a lovely weekend at the Victorian. I have stayed two times in the past (over 5 years ago) and enjoyed it then so thought we would try it again. I am glad we did. From the moment we walked in the front door we were welcomed by both the front desk agent and the manager. Check in was easy and quick and even my three year old daughter was welcomed. I booked online and there was a discrepency with the rate and they quickly honored the rate I had on my confirmation with no argument. Our room was awesome! The beds and bedding are super comfy and everything is clean, clean, clean. There's not too many channels on the tv but we're not there to watch tv so it didn't bother us. We didn't take advantage of the morning continental breakfast. The location of the hotel is great. Just blocks from Gastown and Rogers Arena. I was woken up a few times by street noise and 'happy' people returning to their hotel room after a night out but you get that at most hotels downtown. Usually I bring my earplugs but forgot them this time. There's probably less street noise if you are on an upper floor, we were on the first floor. Free wifi is provided and it's not a weak signal. We decided to save some money on parking and parked our vehicle at a friends house and used transit however on our final day we needed to park nearby to make a quick escape to the ferry after the Heritage Classic game. We inquired at the Front Desk about parking nearby and they allowed us to use their parking for the day at no charge! That was a nice surprise. We had a great experience and will be back for sure. Thank you Victorian!

Room Tip: Probably less street noise on higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mjc11
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear MJC, thank you so very much for your cheerful review. It was an absolute pleasure having the three of you with us. I just hope that the home team prevails, at least once during your next visit. Maybe you'll have to come in for a Whitecaps game for that.
Again, many thanks and we all look forward to seeing you very soon.
Victoria, Seychelles
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

I loved the location of the hotel as well as the beds, very cute and comfy. However, when I called the the hotel the first thing I did was ask about parking, I was told there was parking and it was first come first serve. No problem, I'll get there early I thought. I decided to splurge on the hotel since I thought parking was included. Was very very surprised when I was told parking was an extra $25 a day. The front desk lady told me that she told me that on the phone (she of course didn't because as I said I chose this hotel specifically because I thought parking was included) and wasn't friendly at all so I dropped the subject immediately. Bummer. I stayed for 3 nights and on the last night was when I discovered they had continental breakfast.... I would have loved if they had told me about that to avoid going out for breakfast my entire stay. Overall I did love the location and it was a comfy stay, however, the staff wasn't very helpful and I didn't appreciate the surprise charges (ended up paying $75 overall for parking that was unexpected). I didn't feel comfortable asking the front desk questions because I thought they would be annoyed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Jam Q, I'd like to first apologize for the conspicuous absence of parking details on our website. They should be clear for everyone to see. Thanks to your comments, I will remedy that today.
Conversely, we aggressively promote our complimentary breakfast and there is no excuse for our desk staff to not have made you aware of it. Perhaps it may have even mitigated the pain of the daily parking fees. I should point out that you will be very hard pressed to find downtown hotel that don't apply parking charges.
Nonetheless, I wish to again apologize for our less than satisfactory communication efforts and hope that you may consider staying with us again.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Gorgeous hotel with an excellent location for dining and visiting the Gastown steam clock. The rooms are very large and WiFi is free. Each morning a limited breakfast included croissants, toast, granola, yogurt, fruit, and coffee. Parking was a bit of an issue for us the first night. We arrived on a Saturday around 5pm and all the parking was taken ($20 a day). We found a parking lot ($12 a day) just a couple blocks away. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew P
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
From all of us to both of you, many thanks Andrew P. You have a wonderful approach to things and we certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.