“Vintage in Vancouver”

Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Vintage in Vancouver”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were ending up a cruise in Vancouver and wanted to stay to see the city for a few nights. We were two couples looking for a good price for a King Bed in Vancouver. Found Victorian Hotel for around 120.00 or so--but then found out it was for a shared bath. We decided to go for the King room with bath included, which upped the price to 199.00. Kind of pricey, but we found Vancouver quite expensive for just about everything, The King rooms with baths were on the first floor which was good, because there is no elevator. The rooms we had were totally renovated with big beautiful bathrooms and large flat screen tvs. The breakfast was croissants/ cold cereal/bread and coffee/tea.
I took off one star because the rooms are stuffy without AC and when we opened the windows, it was quite noisy outside if you wanted fresh air.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank aslow
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Many thanks for your review Aslow. Your observation about the increased seasonal pricing in Vancouver is dead on. All hotel pricing decisions are market-driven and they certainly rise between May and the end of September. I do believe we offer great value pricing with our economy rooms but I know the concept of sharing bathroom facilities just isn't for everyone, even if the bathrooms are brand new and kept in immaculate condition.
Perhaps you may want to give them a try, as we do look forward to having you back with us again one way or the other.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I'm originally from Vancouver and wanted somewhere relatively inexpensive to stay and close to the cruise terminal before setting off for Alaska. When I lived in the City I always thought the Victorian Hotel was cute and had a great location, so we checked it out!

We stayed in a King Room with a Shared Bath, the room was a bit small but very comfortable and nicely furnished. The building itself is gorgeous and beautifully taken care of. The shared bathroom ('down the hall') was always clean and I never found myself waiting. The breakfast was filling and plentiful (lots of fruit!). Honestly, for the price, you won't do better in the City.

Highly recommended, especially for those travelling car-less (you don't need one in Vancouver!) - the hotel is very close to Waterfront Station, you can sky train in right from the Airport!

Room Tip: Opt for a larger room as your more likely to have a bay window.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank plannertraveller
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Plannertraveller, good on you to seek out our "cute little hotel" and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for your kind words and look forward to having you back with us real soon.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night in January. We booked one type of room and stayed in the next level down but we too shy to mention the mistake so I guess that is our fault. The room was nice, maybe a little tired. The breakfast was good, but we arrived too late (8:30 am) and by that time all the good stuff was gone! The hotel is centrally located which we liked and the staff were pleasant. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kat_can16
Thank you for your recommendation Kat Can16. Sorry to hear you missed out on all the "good stuff" I'm sure that won't be the case case next time.
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at The Victorian for two weeks at the end of March 2014.
We came all the way from Israel and so happy that we did!
It was recommended to us by a friend who used to live in Vancouver and it was really one of the best Hotels we have ever stayed in!!
We travel a lot and this was really perfect!
First of all - the staff- amazing!!!
The Manager and the entire staff - each and every one of them -
So nice, professional and willing to help in any matter.
They made our stay so very enjoyable.
We stayed in a bigger room for the first three nights - it was brilliant.
But even we moved to the smallest room at the hotel - really tiny but still full of charm and most comfortable - for economical reasons- it was perfect!
We liked every moment at this hotel and highly recommend it.
Thank you so much - The Victorian Staff!

Room Tip: Go for the bigger rooms with your own private toilet and shower. Still - even the smallest room with...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 600909_
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Now that's a whale of a compliment that you traveled all the way from Israel just to stay with us. Maybe you also wanted to see a little of our cool city and a bit of "Super Natural" British Columbia. But hey, we'll take it! We couldn't happier to hear your comments, maybe you have started a new pilgrimage to visit this jewel we call Vancouver. דאנק איר זייער פיל and please visit us again soon.
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was a bit reluctant to write a review as I don't want people to know how truly fantastic this hidden gem is, at the risk of not having availability next time I'm in Vancouver on business. Not only is the hotel a superbly kept heritage building it's updated with great bathrooms, king size (in some rooms) comfy beds and great linens. I can't express enough how great my stay was. I was initially supposed to be staying for a week but it turned into three. The staff were the most accommodating and moved me from room to room with no issues to handle the changes. They also serve a great little continental breakfast every morning with yogurt, fruit and the most delicious French croissants, I'm sure I've gained a few pounds. The hotel guests seem to be mostly from Europe as well as some group conferences. I wondered why this hotel was only rated two star and apparently it's because they have some shared bathrooms (very lovely bathrooms though!) and no restaurant but now they have a higher end restaurant joined to the hotel. If you are looking for a super central, lovely hotel with class this is the place to stay! One thing which could be an issue if you aren't on the ground floor there is no elevator.

Room Tip: Lots of different types of rooms depending on your preference but I have to say the king suites are...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Angela H
Holy smoke! For someone reluctant to write a review, you sure opened the flood gates. I have to imagine it had something to do with the fact that you stayed in virtually every different room type we had during your prolonged stay with us. You are now an official Victorian Hotel Expert.
I must say it was such a pleasure having you with us. I think we all feel a little empty-hearted now that you're gone. I'm sure you'll be back soon once the Big Apple effect wears off. Good luck with the film project and we really look forward to seeing you again.
Toronto
Reviewed 1 May 2014

A conference put me at the Victorian Hotel. It was a beautiful and comfortable place to stay.

I greatly appreciate the staff's service. I needed to ship a package, and the hotel was happy to be the pickup point even after I checked out. They also carried my heavy suitcase when I was tired (because the hotel has stairs, not an elevator).

The breakfast included properly crispy croissants, homemade granola and fruit salad. (I wish there had been non-dairy milk, and some variety from day to day.)

Room Tip: Lower floors are preferable (fewer stairs to climb). The low-priced rooms with shared bathroom are...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alana B
Many thanks Alana B. It was an absolute pleasure to be around you and all your conference delegates for a week.. What an amazing, diverse group of people. Intelligent, creative and funny . Please think of us when you plan your next big forum, we can't wait.
Hope your exhibit made it back safe and sound.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at this Hotel/B&B for 4 nights and our room was delightful. It was spacious, the king bed, linens and most of all the pillows were wonderful! Its a small boutique hotel that offers continental breakfast in the morning which was a typical continental offering. We partook only one of the mornings. The hotel is close to Hastings street and Gas Town and it's only a little further of a walk to Chinatown or down to Canada Place..

We had a corner room that had lots of windows and light. The bathroom was large and the tub was incredibly deep. Great for bubble baths! Its a wonderful mix of vintage and modern decor. The gal at the front desk with the fabulous accent was so nice when we checked in and out. And Brian, the hotel manager was amazing and very helpful as well which was nice when we had our fender bender coming out of their parking lot.

The only drawback to their parking lot is that its small and behind the hotel so you enter and exit via the alley. The lot is rather small which can prove to be a tetris game getting in and out plus across the alley there was a moving company with trucks blocking the alley almost everyday. It was one of these trucks that hit our car when we were trying to manuever out of the lot. As I said, Brian the hotel manager was very helpful since we didn't have phone service in Canada and made sure we got everything squared away to file a report. That was the only bad part about our stay with this hotel. We took advantage of the special deal they had online so we got an amazing deal for 4 nights. One last thing is that there is no elevator so you will need to carry bags up and down stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kfabbrolous
Bubble Bath and a little demolition derby. You really know how to touch the bases. But seriously, when that huge moving van backed into your tiny car leaving the hotel you could have easily broken down. On the contrary, you handled it beautifully and showed a real strength. Must be from Michigan. I'm so glad it didn't dampen your spirits and it was a pleasure having both of you with us. We look forward to your next visit. Stay safe.