Victorian Hotel
US$497
St. Regis Hotel(Vancouver)
US$482
  • Breakfast included
Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$312
US$407
Travelocity
US$360
  • Restaurant
All reviewsno elevatorsalvation armyshared bathroomcanned fruitprivate bathcontinental breakfastbay windowhardwood floorsfirst floorgas townstay there againstreet noisewaterfront stationking roomcomfortable bedsfew minutes walkcruise port
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently stayed at The Victorian in a small room on the second floor. We picked the hotel based on location (proximity to Gastown), the charm, and the price. The first two pros were very true - we enjoyed the location and the charm of the hotel.

A major con to this hotel (or at least our room) was the noise level between the room above us and ours. You can hear EVERY footstep, creek of a chair, and even voices talking. Unfortunately for us, we had three 20-something girls right above us who got home from the bars at 3 and didn't go back to sleep until well after 5 (keeping their heels on the whole time), which was when we had to get up to head to the airport.

I understand insulation is the hardest thing to add to an old building; however, the rooms on the first floor had beautiful carpet that kept the charm in place. Carpet, or at least runners, would help tremendously to the function of the hotel.

Overall, it had the charm but not the value or function we seemed. The initial perceived value was brought down by the small and noisy room, lack of air conditioning, and shared bathroom. The bathroom was very clean first thing in the morning; however, given the lack of our own bathroom, the price should've been lower.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KBo24
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thanks for the review KBo24 and thank you for your observations regarding carpeting and/or rugs.
I'm not entirely convinced they would have made much difference regarding the boisterous young girls at 3:AM. That said, we just finished re-carpeting the entire hotel and although a lot of guests love the original hardwood, we are now looking at adding additional throw rugs into a variety of rooms. With respect to the price of our economy rooms with shared private baths, these are always priced anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 a night less than other comparable rooms downtown with traditional ensuites. The shared bathrooms are always immaculate and are drawing raves from those who use them.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Pros: The manager of this hotel is friendly and helpful, the rooms have been renovated in a lovely style and the simple breakfast is adequate, its also reasonably priced for Vancouver.

Cons: the location is in a mixed area of downtown Vancouver and the $10 CAD a night accommodation across the street was our view..... The fixtures are not being checked and our bedside light was not working, alas some of the front desk are unfriendly and when we missed breakfast by mistake, by a minute and were rudely told we missed it.

The hotel is trying hard, the renovation and the manager makes it somewhere I would recommend but with caveats.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thanks so much for the review Jo&Co. You're right about us trying hard but obviously we could try a little harder. We should always be looking for opportunities to be accommodating and your example about the breakfast was perfectly tee'd up, we just shanked it. Extending the breakfast service a while longer is a no-brainer. As for the back-packers hostel, it happens to be home to the most popular coffee shop in the city, but as a place to stay, it certainly is not my cup of tea.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We spent a night here before departing on a cruise from Vancouver. We had a room on the ground floor at the back of the hotel.
The room was quiet and the bed comfortable. The bathroom provided a selection of toiletries and flannels, which was handy and meant we didn't have to unpack ours.
The continental breakfast was ok, nothing exciting.
The staff were all very helpful, and the hotel was in a good central location. We managed to spend a spare hour wandering round Gastown before being near enough to walk to the cruise terminal.
We'd stay here again if we needed a stopover.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel should be peaceful. Probably not a good choice for anyone with mobility problems. There is a flight of stairs up to the entrance and I didn't notice an alternative entrance. The staff are happy to help with luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Well thank you very much Derek -in-Eastcote, we're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope the cruise went well.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We loved the photos, read the reviews and booked in to a standard King room with ensuite. The room was charming the bed was very comfortable. Great atmosphere, very clean and spacious. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location was handy to the waterfront and close to a large shopping mall. We would definitely recommend this hotel. Value for money.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor unit towards the back so very quiet and no stair case to climb.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diane S

Many thanks for the review Diane S. It touched all the bases and we're so happy to have met your high expectations.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I mistakenly thought this hotel would be a good one to stay 1 night in based on the pretty facade in the photos, and what I had thought was a good trip advisor review showing up when booking through expedia.

This stay was terrible. We booked a "superior king suite", which I thought would be even better than a regular standard hotel room. I guess the $250 price tag for a night in downtown Vancouver should have tipped me off, but I just assumed my family and I were getting a great expedia deal.

Thankfully our room came with it's own bathroom in the room, however the majority of the rooms do not. You have to share a public bathroom.

The room we were given was directly above a restaurant/bar, which might not have been so bad given that it was a Tuesday night and was supposed to close at 10pm. The bar stayed open blasting a terrible live band until all hours of the morning keeping my 17 month old son, myself, and my husband awake. The street noises were also quite loud, with people shouting all night, sirens wailing, etc. Then to top that off, someone started slamming doors, and doing what sounded like practicing drumming at 530am.

The room had no fridge, so our food like milk and eggs from our road trip had to be spoiled. The bathtub looked like a nice deep soaker tub, but would back up with dirty, hairy water when the shower was running.

The view from our room was a sketchy $10/night room for rent place that was crumbling brick and had all kinds of unfortunate people traipsing in and out at all hours of the day/night. There is a soup kitchen or something of the sort on the other corner. There are only stairs to get into this place as well, so don't plan on staying here if you need a ramp and/or elevator.

Overall the room appeared tidy/clean when we first arrived, however after my son had been standing looking out the window, we noticed that his hands were quite literally black, and had to be washed simply from touching the sill, or something around that area.

This was THE WORST hotel stay of our two week trip, and I am thankful I had only booked it for 1 night.

Room Tip: I wouldn't book anything less than the superior room, unless you enjoy sharig your bathroom/shower with strangers for almost $300/night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank luluraffey
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Luluraffey, my apologies go out to you for the unpleasant experience you had with us. City noise can be aggravating but having to endure noise from the restaurant below you is unacceptable. I will definitely use your comments to address this immediately. As for the sooty window sills, we had just washed the windows and it appears the residue collected on the exterior sills. The cleaning of these will be job one. With respect to the neighbourhood, our opinions differ. I personally love it but I'm sorry you felt otherwise.