“Disappointed ”
Review of Victorian Hotel

Victorian Hotel
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay at this small downtown hotel after our cruise from Alaska. Our room looked out onto a lane way. Nighttime produced shady characters doing shady things and the morning produced loud and frequent delivery trucks providing an early rise from a comfortable bed. Not again. Having a room on the first floor beside the reception and dining area not a good idea. Room was clean and recently renovated however, not worth the $180.00 a night price tag. Room care average. Also note worthy, when we commented about the joint rolling outside our bedroom window we were told that this was after all Vancouver. There are alternatives.

Stayed: August 2014
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thanks for sharing your views. I'm sorry to hear that the noise and downtown activities were troublesome for you. I sure hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was our second stay and third night at this delightful little hotel in downtown Vancouver, BC, and as it turned out, we had the same room each visit. Location, location, location--that's the main asset this place has, close to Gastown, Skytrain, the Amtrak/VIA and Bus station and the cruise terminal all within walking distance or a short taxi ride if you're burdaned with luggage. And I love those electric trackless trolleys that blanket the city! But apart from location, this is a samall, comfortable historic hotel with a lot of character. Just watch where you step, it's still under renovation! It's probably the best value you'll find in downtown Vancouver, since my old haunt, the Hotel Georgian is gone. Next time I'm in the Canadian Vancouver, that's where I'll be. We like to take Amtrak from Vancouver, Wash. to Vancouver, BC, but the train gets in rather late, so it's nice to have the hotel so close by.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money to get a room with a private bath.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review Tom S, It sure sounds like both our hotel and the city have a special place in your heart. Please hurry back.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just stayed the one night and whilst a bit disappointed that there was a private bathroom over the corridor rather than ensuite (which I should have checked) , it was made easier by having a lovely bathrobe in the room to help with the toddle across. Bit warm with just a fan, but clean and comfy bed and lots of space with a sink in the room. We had the windows open and with earplugs there was no bother. The atmosphere was great and car parking on site though a bit more expensive than other places we stayed. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Many thanks for your comments R&M28. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and yet astonished there are 27 more RinkyandMerlins out there.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had a bad experience in this hotel. I stayed here for some nights and I had the bad luck to be given the standard king room on the ground floor right next to the reception.

I have never experienced that a hotel has rooms in the reception and breakfast area and the hotel should definitely reconsider this option. The room was noisy all day since I could hear the receptionists answering the phone, speaking to the guests etc. At night I would hear guests coming and going constantly and I could hear all the loud conversations that were held in the reception area. And very early in the morning I would wake up from the constant loud noise in the breakfast area. I am really not fussy when it comes to noise. When you live in an inner city hotel you need to expect some of it from the outside. However, this was ridiculous! I didn't expect to be woken in the crack of dawn by constant noise that even penetrates the best earplugs on the market, that were used during this stay.

All other rooms were fully booked so I just had to grin and bare it. So if you are unlucky like me then you will be placed in this room and that is not worth the money you are paying for it! So do you want to take that risk?

The service is awful at points. I don't want to point any fingers but certain individuals wouldn't even make eye contact with me and would ignore me if I didn't say anything to them. These people might need a happy pill?

The standard of the rooms isn't great either! Very basic and the pictures make them look much better than what they actually are!

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. It is a short walk away from the harbour, Gastown and it is conveniently located close to other areas as well.

So overall this was a very disappointing hotel and not worth the money. So I definitely wouldn't recommend it! Thankfully the insomnia didn't ruin my lovely stay in beautiful Vancouver!

So just be aware of the room on the ground floor and pray to the hotel Gods that you will not get it!

2  Thank Christina_K_Coco
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Kristina K, I am really sorry to hear that the lobby noise made your stay a disappointment and that we couldn't find you a quieter room. Clearly, the activity in the lobby is heightened in the busy period but generally speaking, guests staying in either of the two rooms near the front desk area enjoy their stay. Obviously, that was not so in your case, and for that I wish to apologize. I am just glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Vancouver and hopefully noise won't be a factor next time.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Would we stay here again? Answer - no. There are plenty of alternative choices in Vancouver.

We thought we had reserved an ensuite room and, as the room originally allocated to us had accidentally been given to guests arriving earlier than us, we'll never know. We did have a private bathroom across the corridor with plenty of towels etc and we were provided with robes. The bed was comfortable. We were happy with the location a few blocks from Gastown.

The downsides: we felt the property pushes the boundary on the "Boutique" description yes it's an old building but it does need further thought on decor and the 'shabby chic' look wasn't achieved. The 'healthy' breakfast is very basic. We also found our 2nd floor bedroom to be very noisy from the wooden floors above us, and banging of doors.

Room Tip: Specify the 3rd floor - this should cut out some of the room noise from the wooden flooring.
1  Thank fromleeds
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your comments From Leeds. I'm sorry that you didn't get the room type you were hoping for. Had we been made aware of your feelings I believe we would have been able to offer you alternative options. I sure do hope you enjoyed the balance of your time in Vancouver.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Lovely old building, lovingly restored. Rooms are simple, spacious and elegant. And resonably priced. The staff couldn't be nicer and more helpful. The location is perfect - a couple of blocks to Gastown, downtown and Yaletown. The rooms facing the street may get some traffic noise, but it's manageable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Many thanks to you NYCDave66 for your lovely review and your appreciation of both our property and staff. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to our crew and we certainly hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I took a risk, having never visited Vancouver and having no idea of where to stay. We stayed at the Victorian for a night and then after a cruise and returning to Vancouver, decided to stay two more nights there. We absolutely loved this place! It has a beautiful vintage vibe and is a very relaxing atmosphere. The location is perfect! Within walking distance to the port and other exciting places downtown. Stay here and you will love it!

2  Thank Joseph H

My oh my now there's a happy traveler! It sure sounds like you had a fantastic trip and it does our hearts good to hear such a resounding commendation to both the city of Vancouver as well as our hotel. Thank you so very much for your kind words and we couldn't be happier your first visit to Vancouver was so enjoyable. Please hurry back.