“So cozy and classy!”
Review of Victorian Hotel

Victorian Hotel
Ranked #37 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Last June, my husband and I spent a couple of nights at the Victorian Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia.
When looking for hotels, my eyes were drawn to this one because I loved the Victorian decoration. My husband was not so convinced because he usually prefers modern-style hotels, but since the location was perfect (close to everything we wanted to see), he agreed.
Even though we'd booked a standard room, there were no standard rooms available, so we were upgraded to a larger and very nice room. What did my husband say as we entered the room? "this is one of the best hotels we've been to!". He loved it, and so did I. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the furniture was very elegant. The bathroom was also very nice (any women concerned about carrying a hairdryer? you won't need it. There's one in each room).
I'd like to highlight that everything was very clean and looked new (actually, a part of the hotel was undergoing a remodelation process, and everything looked and smelled clean).
The staff was kind and helpful: they gave us directions, and answered to all our questions.
Worried about internet connection? in the Victorian Hotel there are 3 computers available, so you can surf on the net for free.
Also, there's coffee and hot tea available at the reception 24/7, and breakfast is included. Even though everything was good, I must say the breakfast was rather simple: youghurt, strawberries, milk, and cereals. Don't expect to find pastry or toasts, because there isn't any. All in all, that's our only (and minor) complaint. If we were to go back to Vancouver, we'd certainly go back to the Victorian hotel!
It's very recommendable! Hopefully, you'll enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 June 2010

Need I say more?

My room was absolutely immaculate, bright, and adorned in a distinctive and refreshing style. It had hard wood floors, oriental rugs, and nice furniture compared to a standard chain hotel. The bed was very comfortable and I slept so well.

The hotel lobby is a very small area used mainly for check-in. At first sight, you might think you had made a mistake by booking, but you didn't. The room was more like what you'd get at a great B&B.

The staff was great, friendly, and helpful. Lastly, the stay includes a continental breakfast and somebody there makes some great coffee! I'd definitely recommend this hotel strongly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2010

At this price, I wasn't expecting much, but was delighted by the friendly and courteous staff, and the clean and well furnished rooms. All in all, a very pleasant experience and I'm sure I'll go back again. The room I had (a King on 1st floor) was charming, with period furnishings and a very comfortable bed. Small ensuite, with a shower only, but the whole was spotless. WiFi was free and worked well. The location has a fair amount of night time traffic, which could be a problem for some, and the hotel does not have air conditioning. Rarely a problem in Vancouver, but it could be if you stayed here during one of our rare heat waves.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We stayed at the Victorian for two nights and had a lovely room with two double beds and ensuite bath. The staff were wonderful, from the bus boy Charles to the sweet fellow who was on during the evening and night and the ladies on staff in the daytime. The earlier positive reviews were absolutely right. If you are looking for a bland hotel chain room, this is not your place. However if you are looking for a comfortable, clean and charming place with special touches you will enjoy the Victorian. It really has a guest home feeling. There was a simple but healthy continental breakfast is served in the front parlour/lobby. Our room was immaculate with high ceilngs, big windows, all the amenities (including eco friendly soap and hair products), excellent pillows, embroidered linen. There is a computer in the upstairs hallway and the wireless also worked well in our room. Neighborhood was good, no troubles. Stay away from Hastings and Dunsmuir late at night. If you are going to a show at the QE theatre this is very close, also a short walk to great shopping and the water. Coffee and tea were ready early in the morning.
A big thumbs up!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2010

The Victorian was recomended to me by a new friend I met in my travels. As I had never been to Vancouver before I wanted to stay downtown and be able to walk everywhere. I was pleasently surprised by how lovely the hotel was. It felt like I was walking into an elegant Victorian home from the early 1900s. While checking in with the lady at the front desk I was informed that the building did infact date back to 1898!
The property recently completed major renovations, adding in a new Victoria Deluxe section as well as various renos throughout the property. Even though they have added modern comforts like flat screen televisions, the Victorian is still very true to its name. My guestroom featured sandblasted cast iron radiotors which I have never seen in Hotel before. Nice touch! The hotel also has free wifi access for guests..yes FREE WIFI!! The beds were absolutely amazing! On the down side I had trouble motivating my husband to get out of bed and explore Vancouver. The lady at the front desk laughed when I told her and said 'it happens all of the time'.
I really liked the feel of the hotel, not at all a cookie cutter Sheraton, Hilton, chain Hotels. The hotel is family run, with a small tight knit staff, some of the staff have members have been there since the hotel opened ten years ago, always a good sign! The staff is so friendly, laid back and knowledgable. I noticed that many of the guests seemed to know the staff on the a first name bases, then when chatting in the lobby over coffee in the morning I learned that a lot of their guests are repeat clientel travelling weekly on business. The Victorian Hotel is definitly a 'home away from home'. I am so happy I found this little hidden gem. I WILL be back!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We stayed here for one night during the Olympics. Older property with small rooms with sink, bath along hall, everything new and fresh, helpful and friendly staff, great central downtown location. Good price compared to other properties in sold out city.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Have stayed here many times over the last 10 years, but unfortunately the new ownership kind of sucks. The rooms are the same, but the feel of the whole place has really changed. I had to find a new favorite in Vancouver.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple