“Only worth it if you get a good price on the internet...”

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #12 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Start with the good: most comfortable bed I have EVER slept on and (if you have a harbour view room) - great views.

The rest: hotel devoid of any character or charm and that includes the staff. Staff are perfectly civil and polite but there is absolutely warmth or personal interest. This hotel still charges for wifi (Canadian $13 for just one device, one connection!). Breakfast prices are horrendous too. We paid nearly Canadian $65 for pancakes, coffee and juice for two.

• Stayed: July 2011
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear Guest.

I would like to thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

It is really concerning to learn that you found our staff to lack personal interest and warm. I do apologize and certainly assure you that your experience is not the norm here at The Fairmont Waterfront. If you have any additional feedback that would help us to better meet your expectations in the future, I would appreciate hearing from you. Please contact me directly at ian.pullan@fairmont.com or 604-691-1892.

Given the circumstances, I am glad that you found the bed to be comfortable and to your liking.
I will also share your comments about our food prices for future improvements.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront as your home away from home in Vancouver.

The Fairmont Waterfront
This response is the subjective opinion of the management rep

Write a ReviewReviews (3,527)

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed here for four days in July. The hotel is gorgeous from the outside, all glass and modern. Our room, however, was quite outdated, especially the bathroom. The color scheme, an orangey coral, was downright hideous. Housekeeping was not up to par. The carpeting was dirty and stained and the desk had a large circular burn mark, probably from the in-room coffee pot. The toilet didn't look particularly clean when we arrived, but I thought that was probably just due to age. However, after spending the day touring this beautiful city we returned to our room, lifted the toilet lid and there was urine and toilet paper in the toilet. Housekeeping 101 should include daily toilet brushing!
On the up side, the bed was very comfortable and the hotel's location is great. When we checked in, we were told we were getting 2 double beds, but were given a king when we requested a different room. I would have preferred being on a higher floor, we were on 7, but the view was still very good.
The concierge was helpful and friendly, as was the rest of the staff. Next time we'll stay somewhere else, maybe across the street at the Pan Pacific or the downtown Fairmont.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apology for the deficiencies you experienced during your stay, specifically the cleanliness of your guest room. Your comments regarding the unclean toilet were immediately shared with our Housekeeping leadership team and they will ensure that processes are in place so that something like this does not reoccur. I do apologize for the off-putting incident, and the negative impact it may have on your perception of The Fairmont Waterfront. I assure you that your experience is certainly not the norm here at The Fairmont Waterfront, and that we strive to meet and exceed the high standards of service excellence that you are accustomed to receiving at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts.

It is unacceptable that your guest room did not meet our high standards for cleanliness and I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly. If time permits, please contact me at ian.pullan@fairmont.com or 604-691-1892.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back once again for a more positive experience here. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Concierge Level is treamendous. View is outstanding. The pulse of the town is here baby.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Tips first (since not everyone reads the whole review):
(1) Join the President's Club (it's free, and you can do it from the Fairmont's website, before you arrive) to get free Wi-Fi and a few other small perks. (2) Room service is VERY expensive -- food is overpriced, they add 17% gratuity plus other fees...we paid over $50 for one cheeseburger, one chocolate shake and some juice. (3) There's a car and driver that seem to be sporadically available if you need transportation - ask one of the doormen or the concierge...apparently it's kind of a case of "IF the car is available and IF a driver is availalble..."
The best part of this hotel is the location. Right across from the Convention Center, on the waterfront, and half a block to Gastown. An easy walk to anything downtown, even to Denman, English Bay and Stanley Park.
Rooms are well laid out, reasonably large, and quiet. The TV quality was not good (no HD!) but there are a lot of channels. The bed was comfy, the shower was OK (towels not the best, they seemed overly bleached and not very "thirsty"), and there's a good sized desk for those unfortunates who have to get some work done.
I didn't use the (outdoor only) pool, but did use the exercise room, which is small but adequate, with 3 treadmills, 2 Stairmasters, one rowing machine, a couple other machines, and weights.
We did run into someone who'd brought his dog, and he told us there's a $50 (one time, not every night) charge for keeping a dog in your room...he seemed happy with that.
Front desk and other employees were very friendly and professional.
All in all, the pluses far outweigh the minuses at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was great to read your review and learn that overall you enjoyed your time with us at The Fairmont Waterfront. However, it was disappointing to hear of your reservations about our In-Room Dining, among other things. I appreciate your feedback and will certainly share your comments with my team here and ensure they are considered for future improvements.

We are very proud of our hotel location and I am glad that you found it convenient. As well, we do encourage pet owners to bring their dogs & cats to stay with us. As a result, we do charge $50 for a deep cleaning of the room to ensure it meets our high standards of cleanliness.

We do look forward to welcoming you and your family back once again. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff was courteous, friendly, knowledgeable And particularly helpful when it came to my daughter's dietary needs. The chef made sure to provide us with some gluten free foods, and the staff helped us find restaurants that has gluten free items on their menus. Though the room service menu was a little pricey, it wasn't more than you would expect from a four or five star hotel, and besides, the in-room dining meals we had were delicious.

• Stayed: July 2011
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear Guest,

It was great to read your review and learn that we were able to not only meet, but exceed your dietary expectations for your daughter's gluten free specifications. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our Executive Chef, Patrick Dore.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back once again. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

All staff are friendly, courteous and happy to see you. I am always well greeted by the door and front desk staff and housekeeping does a great job keeping rooms spotless. I like the easy to use temperature control in each room and every room has a view. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Your body seems to melt in to the mattress.
I especially enjoy the fitness facilities at the health club and like the outdoor pool which is refreshing after a day's work.
The location is pretty central, close to Waterfront station to get to the airport, the north shore and the rest of the city, close to Stanley Park and close to our office. I find it is nice to go for a walk along the harbour and enjoy the life on the waterfront in the foreground and Stanley Park and the mountains in the background.
I am looking forward to my next stay!

Room Tip: I find that all rooms are quiet. City views are good but the best views are ocean/mountain views. I...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

It is nice to hear that your business trip was like a vacation and that you were able to really enjoy some of the hotel amenities we offer here. It was great to hear that you made it up to the health club and pool. During the summer, weather depending, we also have an open pool bar so our guests can relax and have a beverage poolside. We also offer fitness options such as sunrise yoga and guided morning runs with a member of our Executive Committee. If you are looking for more information, please visit our website.

I appreciate your tip recommending the Fairmont President's Club. All members do receive complimentary wireless internet and a more personalized travel experience, which ultimately leading to a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

The Concierge Desk and the Team serving there was of great assistance to us. They arranged a room upgrade, a city tour, a bus transfer from Vancouver to Seattle and helped find my granddaughter's cell phone that was left behind in the room when we checked out. A very professonal group dedicated to guest services.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family