“Convenient central location, elegant and modern building, stunning views across the Harbour and beyond”

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #11 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We had a one-bedroom suite for 3 nights, which was the ‘City’ section of our ‘Rockies’ holiday. The suite was on the 22rd floor (one from the top), overlooking the Harbour and the Conference Centre, with Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge in the background. This waterfront view was absolutely stunning.

Our two teenage daughters had one room (with a Queen bed and bathroom with shower) and we had the adjoining room (with a folding Queen bed and full bathroom). The suite was very well-appointed, extremely clean and (because of the enormous picture windows in both rooms overlooking the waterfront) very light and airy.

The hotel itself was very stylish, both modern and elegant, with a light and airy feel to the lobby. The Reception and Concierge staff were friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and extremely professional. The hotel also had a health club and an outdoor (heated) pool, situated in a lovely rooftop garden, with bees and hives (but not near the pool!).

We ate out in Vancouver for the three nights, but we did have breakfast in the hotel on two occasions: one in the Herons Bar downstairs and once in our room. Breakfast in the Herons Bar was buffet-style, with a wide selection of dishes, including freshly-cooked omelettes made while you waited. Not inexpensive, but you could have as much (or as little) as you wanted of everything. Room service breakfast was served on time and as we requested.

One problem we experienced (which had also happened a week before in the Fairmont Lake Louise) was the unexpected ‘wiping’ of our magnetic door keys. This meant we couldn’t get into the health club and were ‘challenged’ by a member of staff as to our identity when the key very obviously wasn’t working. Whilst the staff were quite polite, we felt the assumption was that we were ‘imposters trying it on’ as opposed to guests who had a problem with their card. It was a most unpleasant experience ending with one of the pool staff escorting my wife and daughter back to the room (just to check the room). When new keys were issued at the Reception desk, I was given the counter-intuitive advice that I shouldn’t put the credit-card sized keys anywhere near my credit cards, as this could be causing the problem. But what would one naturally do with credit-card sized keys, but put them in one’s wallet (where other cards are….). It made me lack confidence in the hotel’s key system (not to keep people out, but to allow them in!) and that the hotel staff felt the problem lay with the guests and not the system itself.

The keys issue aside, we had a great time at the Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver and would recommend it as a stylish place to stay, with great views and a central location.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TonyHughes6
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Thank you for your great review of our hotel and your experience with us here at The Fairmont Waterfront.

It was absolutely wonderful to read all of the positive aspects of your stay with us. From the view, the suite, the hotel decor, and to the food, it sounds like you truly enjoyed it all.

However, it was concerning to learn of your disappointment with the regards to your hotel room keys. I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the demagnetization of your family's keys. However, we do pride ourselves on providing our guests with a very safe and secure place to stay and enjoy and we take our hotel security very seriously. I am sorry if you felt as though our staff were unpleasant and I will certainly share your feedback with the necessary leaders for a suggestion for future improvements.

I would like to thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver. I truly hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Ian Pullan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stayed for two nights here and loved this hotel and will definitely be back in future. Room was great with great view (city). Staff was very courteous and very helpful. I set up a wake up call at 6 and Jenny (from reception) asked me if I would like to set up another follow-up wake up call at 6:15 too and believe me I needed it as I went back to sleep after the first wake-up call :).

Anyway, I was disappointed by only one thing and that's why I gave it 4 star - it was internet speed; it was decent than many other high-end hotels I have stayed at but was not up to my standard. I was working a lot of time from my hotel room and internet used to disconnect in between, it really irritated me. I had an experience of staying in a hostel in Vancouver just a week before this trip on my last trip and my stay was not that pleasurable in that place but I was highly impressed by the internet speed they had; when a hostel can have that kind of internet speed then I can certainly expect Fairmont with more business travelers like me to have much better internet speed, i don't think it is too much to ask.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Mr_AK_82
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you found our staff to be very helpful, and I will specifically share your kind comments with Jenny from our front desk. We are very proud of our staff who are able to make our guests stay more comfortable.

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding our internet speed. I will certainly speak with our internal I.T. team to ensure there are no issues with the internet and use your comments as future consideration for improvements.

Thank you for choosing the Fairmont Waterfront as your home away from home in Vancouver. If you are ever in the area, we do hope to welcome you back once again.

London
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Start with the good: most comfortable bed I have EVER slept on and (if you have a harbour view room) - great views.

The rest: hotel devoid of any character or charm and that includes the staff. Staff are perfectly civil and polite but there is absolutely warmth or personal interest. This hotel still charges for wifi (Canadian $13 for just one device, one connection!). Breakfast prices are horrendous too. We paid nearly Canadian $65 for pancakes, coffee and juice for two.

• Stayed July 2011
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear Guest.

I would like to thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

It is really concerning to learn that you found our staff to lack personal interest and warm. I do apologize and certainly assure you that your experience is not the norm here at The Fairmont Waterfront. If you have any additional feedback that would help us to better meet your expectations in the future, I would appreciate hearing from you. Please contact me directly at ian.pullan@fairmont.com or 604-691-1892.

Given the circumstances, I am glad that you found the bed to be comfortable and to your liking.
I will also share your comments about our food prices for future improvements.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront as your home away from home in Vancouver.

The Fairmont Waterfront
This response is the subjective opinion of the management rep
Pacifica, California
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed here for four days in July. The hotel is gorgeous from the outside, all glass and modern. Our room, however, was quite outdated, especially the bathroom. The color scheme, an orangey coral, was downright hideous. Housekeeping was not up to par. The carpeting was dirty and stained and the desk had a large circular burn mark, probably from the in-room coffee pot. The toilet didn't look particularly clean when we arrived, but I thought that was probably just due to age. However, after spending the day touring this beautiful city we returned to our room, lifted the toilet lid and there was urine and toilet paper in the toilet. Housekeeping 101 should include daily toilet brushing!
On the up side, the bed was very comfortable and the hotel's location is great. When we checked in, we were told we were getting 2 double beds, but were given a king when we requested a different room. I would have preferred being on a higher floor, we were on 7, but the view was still very good.
The concierge was helpful and friendly, as was the rest of the staff. Next time we'll stay somewhere else, maybe across the street at the Pan Pacific or the downtown Fairmont.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apology for the deficiencies you experienced during your stay, specifically the cleanliness of your guest room. Your comments regarding the unclean toilet were immediately shared with our Housekeeping leadership team and they will ensure that processes are in place so that something like this does not reoccur. I do apologize for the off-putting incident, and the negative impact it may have on your perception of The Fairmont Waterfront. I assure you that your experience is certainly not the norm here at The Fairmont Waterfront, and that we strive to meet and exceed the high standards of service excellence that you are accustomed to receiving at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts.

It is unacceptable that your guest room did not meet our high standards for cleanliness and I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly. If time permits, please contact me at ian.pullan@fairmont.com or 604-691-1892.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back once again for a more positive experience here. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront.

North Oaks, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Concierge Level is treamendous. View is outstanding. The pulse of the town is here baby.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Seattle
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Tips first (since not everyone reads the whole review):
(1) Join the President's Club (it's free, and you can do it from the Fairmont's website, before you arrive) to get free Wi-Fi and a few other small perks. (2) Room service is VERY expensive -- food is overpriced, they add 17% gratuity plus other fees...we paid over $50 for one cheeseburger, one chocolate shake and some juice. (3) There's a car and driver that seem to be sporadically available if you need transportation - ask one of the doormen or the concierge...apparently it's kind of a case of "IF the car is available and IF a driver is availalble..."
The best part of this hotel is the location. Right across from the Convention Center, on the waterfront, and half a block to Gastown. An easy walk to anything downtown, even to Denman, English Bay and Stanley Park.
Rooms are well laid out, reasonably large, and quiet. The TV quality was not good (no HD!) but there are a lot of channels. The bed was comfy, the shower was OK (towels not the best, they seemed overly bleached and not very "thirsty"), and there's a good sized desk for those unfortunates who have to get some work done.
I didn't use the (outdoor only) pool, but did use the exercise room, which is small but adequate, with 3 treadmills, 2 Stairmasters, one rowing machine, a couple other machines, and weights.
We did run into someone who'd brought his dog, and he told us there's a $50 (one time, not every night) charge for keeping a dog in your room...he seemed happy with that.
Front desk and other employees were very friendly and professional.
All in all, the pluses far outweigh the minuses at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was great to read your review and learn that overall you enjoyed your time with us at The Fairmont Waterfront. However, it was disappointing to hear of your reservations about our In-Room Dining, among other things. I appreciate your feedback and will certainly share your comments with my team here and ensure they are considered for future improvements.

We are very proud of our hotel location and I am glad that you found it convenient. As well, we do encourage pet owners to bring their dogs & cats to stay with us. As a result, we do charge $50 for a deep cleaning of the room to ensure it meets our high standards of cleanliness.

We do look forward to welcoming you and your family back once again. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff was courteous, friendly, knowledgeable And particularly helpful when it came to my daughter's dietary needs. The chef made sure to provide us with some gluten free foods, and the staff helped us find restaurants that has gluten free items on their menus. Though the room service menu was a little pricey, it wasn't more than you would expect from a four or five star hotel, and besides, the in-room dining meals we had were delicious.

• Stayed July 2011
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Dear Guest,

It was great to read your review and learn that we were able to not only meet, but exceed your dietary expectations for your daughter's gluten free specifications. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our Executive Chef, Patrick Dore.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back once again. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Waterfront.