“What a let down :(”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, BC
“What a let down :(”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A friend of mine is a travel and lifestyle blogger and won a gift certificate to this hotel from an online blogging competition awarded by a large Vancouver tourism entity. As a going away present for my upcoming move to Australia she gifted it in turn to me. I called to make a reservation and all was well until I mentioned I'd be presenting a gift certificate for the room. I explained at the start it was for a "Fairmont Room". The girl at the front desk's tone immediately changed and suddenly "all the rooms were sold out" due to a "large conference" and only the "gold class" $399 a night rooms were available and would I like to book that instead and PAY for it out of pocket. She suddenly could not book me the room awarded by the GC. I pleaded with her that this was a very special event, I was moving out of Vancouver after 37 years here and could anything be done at all but she was completely unsympathetic and refused service. Completely biased service. It's a gift certificate, not air miles. I asked if she could check with the other Fairmont Hotel Vancouver to use it there? I can't understand or fathom why such a rude and unfortunate response. I went online to the hotel's website to see if it was indeed sold out but there were Fairmont Rooms available on the site for the evening in question at $299. Wow. I even over quoted on price, too.

Room Tip: Do not purchase a gift certificate from this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Perth4321
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and to personally apologize for your recent experience. Please know that we strive to provide warm and engaging service to all of our guests and I am truly sorry that we fell short of the mark when speaking with you on the phone. Rest assured we will be reviewing our gift certificate practices here at the hotel. We would love to discuss the issue with you personally and would be appreciative of any further feedback you could provide on how we can make the process better; please email Robert Sedore, our Director of Operations directly at robert.sedore@fairmont.com if this is possible.

If there is anything I can personally do to assist you on a return visit to Vancouver, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (604) 691-1892 or by email ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

A very good standard of hotel. Very smart rooms, well serviced every day, good heated outdoor pool, very polite staff. Our slight issue was that we were charged for a mini bar that we did not take, but they did waive the charge when queried.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I absolutely love the modern and chic, clean and crisp decor of this hotel. Outstanding staff and service and an awesome brunch as well as a uniquely convenient and beautiful location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oceansara
Washington, DC metro area
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Fairmont Waterfront is very nice and convenient with the Convention Center and harbor across the street and a food court downstairs

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NOAAtraveller
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have come to know and trust the Fairmont hotel chain to have some of the most consistent hotels and staff. The Fairmont Waterfront is one of my favourite hotels in Vancouver. I usually go for smaller boutique style hotels but this hotel has become such a staple within our family. The food is excellent, the rooms are spacious, clean and cosy. The staff are always the pinnacle of professionalism. I do not eat wheat or dairy and the chef made me a huge quinoa salad. These are the things that elevate a stay to fabulous for me.

It also has a superb gym, hot tub and heated outdoor pool with magnificient views of the North Shore mountains and harbour.

The location is perfect - minutes away from shopping on robson, pacific centre and gas town. Right next to the float plane terminals.

I highly recommend the Fairmont Waterfront.

Room Tip: Glorious views of Vancouver's harbour in the harbour view rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline H
West Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront for a recent business meeting. The desk staff greeted me with class. When I noted that the wireless Internet service had a charge, the receptionist referred me to the president's club application, and i was able to access the Internet free of charge, which meant a lot or me because I rely on FaceTime to communicate with my husband when I travel, and it was nice to not have that added expense. I was also given an upgrade to a waterfront room upon arrival, so I had an amazing view of the water and the mountains... Simply breathtaking!
My room was excellent. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, and I was able to sleep in the bed immediately (I have real issues in most hotel beds on the first night). The bathroom was spacious, and the staff kept the room extremely clean during my stay. I had absolutely no complaints. I would definitely stay at the Fairmont Waterfront again if I return to Vancouver.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Val_K7878
Exeter, CA
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Recently returned from our first stay in Vancouver. Picked the Fairmont Waterfront after reading other reviews, and couldn't be happier. The entire staff was very helpful. We stayed on the Fairmont Gold level, and the Gold Lounge was incredible! The breakfast at the Gold Lounge had a wide variety of hot and cold choices. There were IPads available for guest use at the Gold Lounge, and our teenage kids enjoyed using them. There were drinks and snacks provided throughout the day. The staff at the Gold Lounge treated us very well We were impressed with the outstanding customer service this hotel provides.

The location of the hotel was also ideal for shopping and dining out. We were able to walk to most of our destinations. We were very happy with our stay at this hotel, and we would definitely stay there again. I don't usually write reviews, but I wanted to express my appreciation of this hotel's customer service. My favorite hotel used to be the Grand Californian, but now it's the Fairmont Waterfront!

Room Tip: Choose the Gold Level - you won't have to purchase breakfast or snacks.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family