PROS: Central waterfront location, short walk to Gastown bars/restaurants, great links to Grouse mountain/Capilano/Skytrain/ferry to north Vancouver, waterfront views of docks are great at sunset, third floor outdoor pool
CONS: King bed was absolutely not provided as per booking and staff on phone unhelpful to facilitate (it didn't happen), rooms still aren't five-star/luxury standard (usual Fairmont shower-over-bath arrangement)
A more modern Fairmont hotel - the new ARC bar opened there this year and the barmen there were great - there are plenty of elements about this hotel that appeal. The views of the docks, the third floor outdoor pool to chill out and catch some rays, how well it's connected for tourist activities, exploring on foot (Gastown is a 10-minute walk) or heading into downtown to shop.
If you're only in Vancouver for a short time then Grouse mountain and Capilano park busses leave from right outside the hotel (20-30min transfers) and the Skytrain to the airport or out east, plus the ferry to north Vancouver, are mere minutes away. For those purposes this is an ideal hotel.
My main moan was that the booking I'd made, which explicitly stated a king bed, wasn't facilitated. Even when on the phone to the hotel there were none available without paying a charge. And given how much I'd already paid that, to me, sounds like an overbooked hotel fobbing off its customers.
We got around it by being creative and pushing the two double beds together to make a 'megabed', and by the time we had a bottle of beer in hand and were watching the sun catching the docks as it set we had all but forgotten such troubles.
Otherwise the room was large, well kept and certainly quiet. Fairmont hotels always have this shower-over-the-bath and pay-for TV arrangement, but here the shower was more powerful and pleasant than I've experienced at the company's older properties.
We hung around the pool after check-out ahead of our return flight home on the last day and, despite plenty of kids splashing around (so a positive for families looking for that extra escape), it was great to be in downtown but chilling out raised above the hustle and bustle below.
Comfortable, modern, and well located. You can't go far wrong with staying at the Waterfront and given the price-to-location balance I'd select it ahead of the other Fairmont Pacific Rim or Downtown properties.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairmont Waterfront luxury hotel showcases the best of Vancouver. Conveniently situated beside the Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal and adjacent to the Vancouver Convention Centre, this luxury Vancouver hotel has a central harbour location, ideal for any stay. Guests can enjoy shopping, trendy restaurants, art galleries, Gastown, Chinatown and famous Stanley Park all within steps of our doors. This Four Diamond urban retreat is world renowned for its warm and welcoming service and truly showcases the best of Vancouver. The 489 newly renovated Vancouver Waterfront hotel rooms are spacious, elegantly appointed with distinctive amenities and showcase spectacular city, mountain and harbour views through floor-to-ceiling windows. The Fairmont Gold floor is an exclusive hotel within a hotel, featuring complimentary breakfast and evening canapes, personal concierge service and an exclusive lounge and terrace with harbour-views. Visit the on-site restaurant ARC. The culinary team embraces fresh, local and sustainable ingredients complemented by hotel-grown herbs from the 2,100 square foot rooftop garden and honey from the on-site honeybee colony. Expect simple, flavor focused cuisine, cooked with flawless execution appealing to discerning or emerging palates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Fairmont Hotels, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Southall Travel, Odigeo, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Waterfront Hotel Vancouver
- Fairmont Hotel Waterfront
- Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
- Fairmont Vancouver
- Vancouver Fairmont
- Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver